5 - Superb performance
Outfielders - Mench
Infielders - Fujimoto
Pitchers - Andoh, Iwata, Uezono

4 - Very good
Outfielders - Hirano, Kanemoto, Lin, Katsuragi, Akahoshi
Infielders - Sekimoto, Arai, Saka, Yamato
Catchers - Okazaki
Pitchers - Watanabe, Satoru Kanemura, Fujikawa, Egusa, Atchison, Shiranita, Ishikawa

3 - Ordinary
Outfielders - Hiyama
Infielders - Toritani, Imaoka
Catchers - Yano, Shimizu, Kanoh
Pitchers - Nohmi, Fukuhara, Shimoyanagi, Williams, Abe, Tamaki

2 - Try Harder
Outfielders - Shoda, Sakurai
Pitchers - Kuroda, Resop

Mayumi awarded eight camp MVPs. Andoh for continued improvement and adaptability. Once again Andoh will pitch on opening day at Osaka Dome, this time against the Swallows. Ishikawa, Shiranita and Uezono as improving young pitchers - there may be a possibility of Uezono returning to the top team at last. Katsuragi and Fujimoto were especially praised for their hitting. Mayumi has been working with Fujimoto to improve his batting and it seems to have paid off. Toritani and Yamato both received MVP awards for defence.

Tigers now move to the second part of their camp in Kochi. A note, these evaluations do not necessarily translate into good season performances. Vogelsong was rated 5 last year but did not perform at all well in the season and was let go.
Comments
Re: Tigers camp evaluations - first stage
[ Author: Guest: James | Posted: Feb 18, 2009 9:51 PM ]

who does evaluations? Is your opinion or what coach say? hard to believe that williams, abe and shimo ordinary, resop try harder.
Re: Tigers camp evaluations - first stage
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 19, 2009 10:56 AM | HAN Fan ]

These are team evaluations by the coaches which are released to the Daily Sports (where I get them from). They are not necessarily indicative of a player's performance in the season as they are camp performance evaluations.

On individual players Williams has been working hard on his delivery and has been having problems. Shimoyanagi is coming off knee surgery. In fact he personally rated his performance 0 (Shimoyanagi is a perfectionist). Abe and Resop I haven't followed but I do know that Resop is throwing 158 kph which promises well for the season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.