Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Julio Franco

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Julio Franco
Kudos to former NPB ('95,'98) and KBOer ('00) Julio Franco, who's only 1 hit away from 2,500. What an amazing and unlikely career Franco has had. I thought he was finished after being let go by the Marines after the 1998 season, but he's had a unbelievable resurgence with the Braves. He's the George Foreman of baseball.

I believe Franco is the only foreigner ever to be named captain of his team ('98) in NPB.
Comments
Re: Julio Franco
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 2:42 AM ]

Franco is truly impressive, he has set numerous records this year, for the oldest player.

Julio Franco has been a great player where ever he's been, I think he also played in Mexico too. He has a great resurgence with Atlanta. I truly think he will play to he's 50.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Jul 25, 2005 3:57 AM | TYS Fan ]

> Julio Franco has been a great player where ever he's
> been, I think he also played in Mexico too.

Julio Franco won 2 batting titles in Mexico - .423 in '99 and .437 in 2001. Prior to '99, only 3 players had hit .420 outside of 1986 (a freak stat season that used the ultralively Comando ball) - James Collins (twice), Rich Renteria and Cool Papa Bell. Franco and Collins are the only guys to hit .420 twice in Mexico - amazingly, Franco did it in his only two seasons there, both after age 36.
[ Author: alappin | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 5:39 AM | SL Fan ]

If age was going to stop him, it would have already done so. The man just keeps hitting, and he is the best 46-year old hitter that I know of. Franco's going to have a great story when all's said and done:

He's played in Japan, America, the Dominican Republic, Korea and Mexico
He's the oldest man to hit 2 HRs in a game (in MLB)
He's the oldest man to steal 2 bases in a game (in MLB)
He's the oldest man to hit a grand slam (in MLB)
He was the MVP of the 1990 all-star game
He broke in to MLB as a light-hitting shortstop for the Phillies...in 1982, 23 years ago.

And he is still deserving of a roster spot this year.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 1, 2005 4:39 AM ]

Here's another interesting story on Julio Franco who's played in Japan (1995, 98), Korea (2000), and Mexico (2001).

According to Braves' manager Bobby Cox, "Counting his hits abroad and those he's totaled in the Majors he's totaled 3,259 hits. I think those should count, too. Those are their major leagues."

Franco, in my opinion, is definetly worth a Hall of Fame mention. Franco would get my vote for sure.

[Full Story - MLB.com]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.