Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Soto

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Soto
Looks like Kaz Ishii is going down. His pitching has been erratic, and the fellow he replaced, Steve Traschel, is finishing his rehab. I suspect he will go on waivers. Maybe the mighty Yankees will see him as a savior? Someone will pick him up. He showed flashes of command, but he just couldn't keep it together - lots of walks. [Full Story - Newsday.com]
Comments
Re: Soto
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 4, 2005 9:15 PM ]

No, the Yankees already have a left hander that throws too many balls and can't reach the 5th inning - Al Leiter. But they could use a reliever like Takatsu.
[ Author: Guest: Soto | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 12:36 PM ]

I hate Al Leiter. Let him embarass himself. There was a joke on the Internet that George said to Cashman as he toyed with his cigar, "Get me a lighter." Cashman said, "Yes, sir, Al Leiter." Then George said, "No more." To which Cashman jumped and said "Nomo?"

I'm surprised Takatsu hasn't been picked up. Also, Ishii is still with the club, since Randolph might need him in the pen. His next start is scheduled for Saturday, but Jae Seo in AAA had his starts changed to be ready on Saturday. We'll see.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 5:39 PM ]

- I'm surprised Takatsu hasn't been picked up.

There were rumors when Takatsu was designated for assignment that Arizona was interested in him. Those talks died down though. Arizona acquired Tim Worrell and Buddy Groom last month in deals for the bullpen. Takatsu can pitch with them. Groom has been lit up over his last two years. Takatsu will start talking with major league teams soon.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 9:50 PM ]

Groom is either 39 or 40. It was written that he slammed the door when he was told by Torre and Cashman that he was being released. He claims that he was never used in crucial situations because he was not one of Torre's "boys." Hey when you have the track record of Mariano Rivera or Tom Gordon he can complain. Not when you are a jouneyman pitcher that is just hanging on.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 5, 2005 9:47 PM ]

It is not easy to just dump Ishii because he is still owed some money from the hefty contract that he signed with the Dodgers.

Besides, the Mets want to make sure that Trachsel's back is completely healed. Also, some Met fans perceive Trachsel as the savior, but they forget why he was called the "human rain delay." This guy took forever to throw the ball.
[ Author: Guest: Al Luplow | Posted: Aug 6, 2005 5:06 AM ]

I think the Dodgers picked up part of Ishii's contract, so it's not a factor. Ishii lasted this long because of Randolph's stubborness and The GM's hope that he might fetch something in a trade, which he didn't.

Trax, since his demotion a few years ago, has actually sped up his game and has been one of the Mets' most consistent and decent pitchers.

I wish they had Komi instead of Ishii this year though. Ishii can't pitch strikes when needed. That's a fatal flaw.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 6, 2005 5:41 AM ]

According to this article [Japan Ball], Mets' manager Willie Randolph said Kaz Ishii would fare better as a reliever, and would be available only for long-relief situations.
Re: Soto-Ishii
[ Author: Guest: Joe Christopher | Posted: Aug 6, 2005 1:34 PM ]

Ishii may be better in the bullpen, but for the time being, it will be with the Tides (AAA). [Full Story - New York Times - free registration required]

I can't see how Randoph thinks Ishii is a reliever. Even moreso, a reliever has to be able to throw strikes on command. As a reliever Ishii will dig himself a fast hole.

The silver lining - he could get called up in September. The funny thing is, the Yankees picked up a nobody like Chacon and no one wants Ishii, who has a better track record. As the other guy mentioned Leiter, I'll say Ishii is still better than Leiter.
[ Author: Guest: Wazu | Posted: Aug 7, 2005 1:07 AM ]

He avoided the question. He didn't say Ishii would fare better in relief. He's thinking he'd do less damage in long relief than as a starter. He doesn't want him around now; to inconsistent. He is not a reliever. If he is smart, he'll spend the time in AAA to work on his conrtrol.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 7, 2005 10:53 AM | CLM Fan ]

I don't think Ishii will find control. He's the single season leader in Japan for wild pitches. Lack of control has always been a problem for him. That's what the majors got when they brought him in. I don't think he's going to change that part of his game.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 7, 2005 4:31 PM ]

With Kaz Ishii, he has had control problems in Japan, as pointed out above. Those problems have continued to the majors. He has always walked a high amount of batters.

Though with the exception of 1996, Ishii has managed a .500 record or above every year of his NPB career. He finished with a 78-46 record. In the majors he's had a 39-34 record coming into this morning (August 7th). This is his first losing year in the majors. [NPB Stats] [MLB Stats]

- Trax, since his demotion a few years ago, has actually sped up his game and has been one of the Mets' most consistent and decent pitchers.

Steve Traschel has been one of the Mets' more consistent starters since coming over as a free agent. He's worthy of a starter's spot in the rotation.

- I wish they had Komi instead of Ishii this year though.

There was a lot of hype placed on Komiyama, he was named the "Japanese Greg Maddux." The Mets really didn't give him much of a chance in my opinion. They released him after one year in which he only played 25 games. [Komiyama Stats - Baseball-Reference]

Making Ishii a long reliever is a big mistake, and will probably make him worse. Long relievers barely pitch unless the game is out of hand. Sometimes they can go days or weeks without pitching. I don't see how go long periods of time without pitching is good for Ishii.
[ Author: Guest: Wazu | Posted: Aug 8, 2005 12:27 AM ]

Jae Seo pitched great yesterday, and pitched Ishii farther off the team. Traschel is coming back in a week, and there are better choices for the Mets right now. I expect Ishii will languish in AAA and be moved or released over the winter. He is like a moth attracted to a flame.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 15, 2005 8:28 PM ]

Kaz Ishii pitched really good for the Norfolk Tides yesterday. 6.0 innings, 7 hits, 1 runs, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 9 strike outs, 1 home run.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Aug 16, 2005 5:25 AM ]

Good for him. Maybe he will fetch something in a trade.
Ishii
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 15, 2005 3:04 PM ]

I think it's about time Kaz Ishii gets a spot start. The Mets are done anyways.
Re: Ishii
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Sep 18, 2005 3:26 AM ]

I think it's about time that Ishii gets traded. The Mets have plenty of better starters. Randolph wants to win games, not offer charity starts.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 2:28 AM ]

Rumor has it he is going to join his former battery mate who is now manager of the Swallows.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 10:55 AM ]

So Ishii is going to Japan?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 15, 2005 10:58 PM ]

Ishii said he wants to leave the Mets and find a team that will use him as a starter. Ishii didn't mention the possibility of joining the Swallows. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.