Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Staying in MLB in 2006?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Staying in MLB in 2006?
Nomo will still play in MLB? How about Takatsu and Hasegawa? Are K. Matsui and Yabu still playing for their teams?
Comments
Re: Staying in MLB in 2006?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 25, 2005 10:41 PM ]

Nomo is a 6 year minor league free agent, Takatsu is a free agent, Hasegawa is a free agent, Kaz Matsui is still with the Mets, and Yabu was let go by the A's. [Minor League Baseball - Free Agents]
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Nov 26, 2005 1:03 AM | HNHF Fan ]

What do you mean by the 6 year deal for Nomo? Does it mean that Nomo is still in the Yankees minor system?

And will Hasegawa and Takatsu be back in Japan?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 26, 2005 9:24 AM ]

- What do you mean by the 6 year deal for Nomo? Does it mean that Nomo is still in the Yankees minor system?

Minor league players not on a 40-man roster become a free agent if they were 6 or more years removed from the end of their first minor league season or if their contract wasn't renewed by their current club. [More Info - MLB4U]

In this case, Nomo became a 6 year minor league free agent because of 6 years of professional experience. It also means, to my best knowledge, Nomo isn't with the Yankees organization any more.

- And will Hasegawa and Takatsu be back in Japan?

Hasegawa is a free agent who was let go by Seattle, and Takatsu is also a free agent. So far the Mets have yet to give a sign on what they plan on doing with Takatsu for 2006. As for them pitching in Japan next year, I don't have any idea.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Nov 26, 2005 10:14 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Thank you, because I feel that Nomo is a good pitcher and I hope that he can finish his career in MLB.
[ Author: JBKuma | Posted: Nov 30, 2005 11:52 AM | CLM Fan ]

I believe I read some where that Nomo intends to finish his career in MLB and doesn't plan on coming back to NPB, although I can't remember where I read it.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 1, 2005 3:19 AM ]

Nomo has said numerous times that he has no intention of returning to the NPB. It has to stem from his departure from the NPB, when Don Nomura found a loophole in the system and his falling out with former Kintestu manager Keishi Suzuki.

There's more about Nomo in the Robert Whiting book "The Meaning of Ichiro" on why Nomo left Japan.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 1, 2005 10:40 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Keiichi Yabu was declined!
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 3, 2005 5:44 AM ]

At this point, after some early speculation, there is no serious talk of Nomo coming back. The guy is just flat out done.

It was interesting to see that nobody picked Yabu up yet. Rakuten could sure use him.

Yakult signed Masao Kida. He did fairly well at Tacoma last season, but just how much does he have left in the tank? I guess we'll find out.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 4, 2005 10:23 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I feel that Yabu should go to a team like Seattle because he can be a starter or a long innings reliver.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.