Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shane Spencer?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Shane Spencer?
Can someone tell me if it is true that Shane Spencer showed up out of shape at the Hanshin Tigers camp?

This is a player who at one point showed some surprising promise for the Yankees. But recently things have gone down hill with speculation that there was alcohol problems while he was with the Mets.
Comments
Re: Shane Spencer?
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 13, 2005 1:13 PM ]

There was no speculation on Spencer's alcohol problem. It is regrettably a fact, proven with drunken confrontations with a pizza man, a DUI arrest, and a cut foot from another drunken night on the town. The guy has talent, could do well in NPB, but not with sake soaked nights.

Who's next Garcia?
[ Author: Guest: Sonoda7 | Posted: Feb 13, 2005 10:51 PM ]

As a matter of fact, Karim Garcia is under contract to play in Japan this year.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Feb 14, 2005 1:55 AM ]

I realized that after I made the smart aleck post.

They both have the talent to do well, but they have to work out their personal problems. Japan may or may not be the best place to do that, but they are pretty much washed up in MLB after their antics. It's a fresh start and a new environment, but fraught with pressure. They will have to find strength and a support group if they want to stay sober and salvage their baseball careers (and lives). Let's hope they succeed.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.