Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yabu: Fourth Japanese Athletic?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Yabu: Fourth Japanese Athletic?
Can anyone tell me why Keichii Yabu is the fourth player for th A's? And before him, there were 3 other Japanese players players there?
Comments
Re: Yabu: Fourth Japanese Athletic?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 26, 2005 9:32 AM ]

The A's signed 3 Japanese players before Yabu. They signed two high school players, Tomohiro Hashimoto (1996) and Kota Yoshida (1997), and they invited 17 year veteran Hiromi Matsunaga to spring training in 1998. Matsunaga retired after going 1 for 11 in spring training that year. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 1:26 PM | HNHF Fan ]

And now Tomohiro Hashimoto and Kota Yoshida play in which team?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 10:40 PM ]

- And now Tomohiro Hashimoto and Kota Yoshida play in which team?

Kota Yoshida went on to play for the now defunct Osaka Kintestu Buffaloes. Yoshida played in 1 game in 2000, not registering an at-bat. Yoshida was drafted in 1999. Hashimoto doesn't show up with any team.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 28, 2005 12:16 AM ]

More infromation about Yoshida, he batted .238 with 0 HR and 22 RBI in 48 games/181 AB, and Yoshida stole 22 bases in 1997. To see Yoshida's full stats, type in Yoshida and select Previous Seasons.

Source: Minor League Baseball Player Search
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Mar 2, 2005 2:18 AM | HT Fan ]

If "Japanese" means "born in Japan" and not "ethnically Japanese," you can add Steve Chitren to the list of Japanese Oakland Athletics. He pitched for them in 1990-91. [Link - Baseball Reference]

--Heian-794
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 2, 2005 11:30 AM ]

The MLB.com article talks about "ethnic Japanese."

Also, you could add infielder Jim Bowie [Baseball Reference] to that list of players for the A's born in Japan as well.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Mar 12, 2005 11:29 AM ]

Looking at a spring training box score for today, I also noticed a "K. Suzuki" at catcher. I don't know who he is, probably a Japanese-American prospect, but he is batting .750 so far in spring training. 3-4 I assume. [Box Score - Fox Sports]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 12, 2005 1:53 PM ]

According to MLB.com non-roster invitees, the player is Kurt Suzuki. Kurt Suzuki batted .297 with 3 HR and 31 RBI last year for A Vancouver Canadians. Kurt Suzuki's hometown is Wailuki, HI. [Minor League Player Search]
Kurt Suzuki
[ Author: Guest: yakyuujin | Posted: Mar 13, 2005 11:35 AM ]

Kurt Suzuki was drafted in the second round last year. He helped his team win the College World Series last year and won the Johnny Bench award (given to the best catcher in college ball). I actually worked for the Vancouver Canadians last summer. Although I don't know him personally, I do know he was born and raised in Hawaii and does not speak any Japanese. I believe both his parents were born in the States as well but don't quote me on that. For more info, go here and click on Kurt Suzuki.

His stats with the Vancouver Canadians last year:
            Team      P GP GS  AVG  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS SH SF  OBP  SLG  H
Kurt Suzuki Vancouver C 46 46 .297 175 27 52 10 3 3 31 77 18 26 0 1 3 3 .394 .440 12
Re: Kurt Suzuki
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Mar 14, 2005 1:55 AM | HNHF Fan ]

I think I may remember that guy when he played in college - and he is a good player for future! But the Napanese news has never reported on him!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.