Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Leon Lee Update

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Leon Lee Update
This is a sad story and from my perspective, sounds like a bum rap. The New York Times ran this story [registration required] today:
Lee turned down a plea bargain to clear his name. The alleged victims were allegedly cavorting, drinking, raising hell, and doing dope.
It's a real shame that this has happened to Leon Lee. A Japanese team should take him back.
Comments
Re: Leon Lee Update
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Mar 3, 2005 10:43 PM ]

I wasn't able to read the article. If it's not too much trouble, can someone please give me a brief summary of what the article said? I've been wondering what happened to this case.
[ Author: Elijah | Posted: Mar 4, 2005 5:17 AM ]

In April 2004, Leon Lee was managing the Class A Brooklyn Cyclones in the Mets organization when he was arrested in Port St. Lucie, Florida for allegedly exposing himself to four women in a hotel during minor spring training. After the arrest, Lee was forced to resign.

The prosecutor offered Lee a deal where Lee would pay $500 and perform community service and other things in exchange for the charges being dropped. Lee refuses to sign the deal because he wants to clear his name.

Meanwhile, witnesses say the women accusing Lee have repeatedly changed stories. Lee is bitter toward the Mets because they didn't stand behind him when he was arrested. Lee refuses to accept the plea bargain because no one will hire him until the case is resolved, including one NPB organization.

According to the article, Lee has liquidated many of his accounts including his retirement plans to pay legal fees to clear his name and it appears the case will go to trial.

End of Summary

It's a sad story. I can't imagine money is too great of an issue because Derrek Lee is doing very well for the Cubs and would probably help out financially if need be (unless they are estranged and I don't know about it, and obviously, Leon would want to try to take care of matters himself). He obviously truly cares about clearing his name. But I wonder how much of a difference it will make, at least in the U.S.

It is sad - players are unique and despite repeated legal troubles, they will always get a chance so long as they can play (at least in the U.S.). But like Leon said in the article, minor league managers are fungible, and ultimately, easily replaceable. One mistake can be fatal. I hope Leon gets another shot somewhere be it in the U.S. or Japan.

One interesting note: Leon signed Hee Seop Choi, the Dodgers starting first baseman, a couple years ago when he was Pacific Rim scout for the Cubs. Ironically, Choi was one of those traded to the Marlins to acquire Leon's boy Derrek.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Mar 4, 2005 6:55 PM ]

Thank you for the article summary. It's hard to believe that Leon is actually liquidating his assets in order to pay for his legal fees. I don't know how much his son, Derrek, is making, but I'm pretty sure he's not making chump change. I wonder why Derrek doesn't just fork over some of his salary in order to help his dad out of this messy situation.

I also thought that Derrek Lee was the Kobe Bryant of baseball as he grew up with a professional athlete father who raised him in a foreign country and ended up with a far stellar career than his father, just like Bryant.

It's common knowledge that Kobe is estranged from his parents. Reading about Leon liquidating his assets to pay off his legal bills makes me wonder if Derrek is estranged from his dad as well. I certainly hope not since it seemed like they had a good relationship when Derrek was younger.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.