Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gary Garland's editorial on Inaba & Nishi

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Gary Garland's editorial on Inaba & Nishi
I just saw this, so I may be a bit late. Gary Garland did an editorial which can be found here [Japan Baseball Daily] by scrolling at least about halfway down. Overall, I admire Gary's work, and the editorial in question makes many fine points.

However, the editorial questions why the majors chose not to sign Inaba and Nishi. It correctly notes neither looks like a starting quality major leaguer. It further accurately notes that many mediocrities get to go to spring training and get at least minor league deals. It is also right in noting both provide the possibility of raising the profile of the majors in Japan. The problem with each of them is threefold, in my opinion:
  1. they aren't starting quality,
  2. they've got to adjust to the States, and
  3. they are too old to be seen as having a future.
I think this last point is the one Gary misses. Nishi is 33 (and another negative for him is his much-despised agent, Scott Boras), and Inaba is 32. Inaba has only looked like a major leaguer once in the past five years, and that was in 2001. Nishi looked like one in 2004, but not in the prior two years. Really, there's little upside to them on the field, and they're at an age where if they don't produce now, they're out the door. They're too old to be holding a AAA slot that some kid who might have a future could have instead. I can understand why no major league club wants to take a chance on either guy having a hard time adjusting to dramatically new surroundings. They don't have time to waste on them.

The editorial raises the point that the Dodgers signed Nakamura despite a lackluster 2004. True enough, but 1) Nakamura is 31, not 32 or 33, and more importantly, 2) Nakamura in the past has shown he has more talent than either Nishi or Inaba. He was signed cheaply to a minor league deal, so the Dodgers took very little risk, and if he finds his form of several years ago, the Dodgers hit the jackpot. If he doesn't, they haven't lost much.

When it comes to the mention of Taguchi, I've got to agree Inaba or Nishi make more sense.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.