Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nori's Spring Training

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nori's Spring Training
Nori Nakamura is having a decent spring training with the Dodgers so far. He is hitting .333 and slugging .593 with 2 homers. However, Jose Valentin seems to be a lock for the starting third baseman's job.

Nori is also spending some time at 1st base, where Hee Seop Choi is probably the frontrunner to win the job. Choi is a lefty who has had limited at-bats and limited success against lefty pitching. Olmedo Saenz (34) is the righty alternative to Choi.

[Dodgers' depth chart - MLB.com]

Nori is a non-roster invitee (NRI) and is not listed on the depth chart. If he has a good spring training and impresses manager Jim Tracy, maybe he can play himself into a platoon situation with Choi, since Choi has a problem hitting left handed pitching?

I am rooting for Nori, who gave up a lot of money for only a chance to play in the majors.
Comments
Re: Nori's Spring Training
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 18, 2005 1:24 AM ]

I wish the Dodgers would give him a chance to win the third base job from Jose Valentin [Baseball Reference]. Valentin was downright abysmal last year, batting .216 with 30 HR and 70 RBI. Valentin has an abysmal .287 OBP. Also, Valentin's fielding is downright abysmal too.

Even though it's the wrong decision by the Dodgers, Nakamura will back up Valentin and platoon with Choi.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Mar 18, 2005 9:45 AM ]

In Valentin's defense, he was injured last year, and still reached 30 homers in only 125 games. But the White Sox also play in a hitter's ballpark, while Chavez Ravine is a well-known pitcher's haven.

Considering they are paying Valentin more money, they must have thought he is more valuable, so he will get the starting job. If he did not, then people would question what the front office was thinking when they paid so much to sign him. A lot of people also consider Beltre one of the best FA value signings of this offseason, and the Dodgers should have re-signed him. I don't think the De Podesta had a very good offseason, but we have to see how it all works out.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Mar 21, 2005 2:47 AM ]

Choi does not have a lock on first base and his position overall isn't that strong. If Nakamura-san can keep hitting and play a credible first base, he will see much action, maybe eventually start at first, IMHO.
[ Author: Guest: Der Komminsk-sar | Posted: Mar 24, 2005 2:02 AM ]

While I disagree with bringing him in to play third base, Valentin does contribute defensively - he has surprising range and has been a net plus with the glove, he's just error prone.

Though concerned with the length of his swing, it does appear that Nori will start the season on LA's bench.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 25, 2005 4:45 AM ]

Dodgers' GM Paul DePodesta said that they're likely to open with 12 pitchers, which could mean Nakamura might open at AAA Las Vegas. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 7:35 AM ]

Nori news from MLB.com:

Nori hits game-winning 2-run homer in 10th inning. [Link]

Sportswriter Ken Gurnick speculates [Link] that the Dodgers will keep Olmedo Saenz on the team and send Nakamura to the minors because Saenz has "proven ability to hit Major League pitching, and Nakamura does not." Also, "Nakamura can be sent to Triple-A and promoted when needed, while Saenz could reject a minor league assignment and leave the organization."
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Apr 3, 2005 11:42 PM ]

Well, Nori didn't make the team. [Link - MLB.com]Nakamura's quote from the article:
"In my mind, I'm not perfectly satisfied with the answer. [...] How much do I have to hit? How much defense do I have to show? I thought the best player gets to stay. If I couldn't hit at all, that's one thing. I thought I put up the numbers to satisfy the decision makers. Maybe I had to hit .500 and hit 10 home runs. I'm not sure."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.