Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

World Baseball Classic

Discussion in the NPB News forum
World Baseball Classic
Perhaps the dream of a Baseball World Cup with pro stars (from all professional leagues, not just MLB stars!) isn't such a pipedream after all.

From an article on Baseball America's website:
"Tentatively called the 'World Baseball Classic,' the tournament will be staged across three weeks next March [2006] and will be the first full-scale event involving major league players representing their home countries. Olympic tournaments included only amateur players from 1984-1996, after which professionals have been eligible. Because of scheduling conflicts, however, international competition has generally involved minor leaguers."
And later in the article:
"Organizers are in the process of formally inviting 16 nations, with the only question mark being Cuba, whose invitation must be cleared by the U.S. State Department and then subject to approval by Fidel Castro. The teams will start play in four four-team pools that will play round-robins in different countries.

"Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China will play March 3-5, probably at Japan's Tokyo Dome. The three other pools will play March 8-11 and consist of: Puerto Rico, Cuba (for now), Panama and likely Italy; the United States, Canada, Mexico and likely South Africa; and the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Australia and the Netherlands. The first pool will play in Puerto Rico, perhaps at Hiram Bithorn Stadium, while the other two would play at Arizona and Florida spring-training sites to be determined."
And lest some fear this is just MLB stars separated out by country, note the inclusion of such nations as Italy, China, and the Netherlands - who have very few (if any?) representatives in MLB.

More from the official MLB.com announcement this evening:
"The tournament, originally targeted for this past spring, was delayed for a year primarily to accommodate the Japanese, who couldn't field a team in 2005 because of contraction and restructuring of their major leagues, Nippon Professional Baseball. It is likely Japan's team will be part of the expected 16-squad field next spring."
And . . .
"MLB International has spent two years weaving through the complicated logistics of the tournament, which is meant to complement MLB's participation in the Summer Olympics, although players on the 25-man rosters of each team are not sanctioned by MLB to participate in those games.

"It has been a coordinated effort between MLB, the MLB Players Association, Nippon Professional Baseball, the Korea Baseball Association and the International Baseball Federation (IBAF), which represents the 113 worldwide baseball federations."
The link to the Baseball America story: Link

And to the MLB.com announcement: Link

Is anybody else as excited about this as I am!?

Alan Gratz
Avondale Estates, GA
Comments
Re: World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 12, 2005 4:30 PM ]

I'm excited about this, too. The only question is like the article stated, is Fidel Castro going give Cuba's team clearance to play in the World Cup? Because Fidel has had a very bad opinion of MLB. This, in my opinion, is the major obstacle to this, Fidel Castro and his communist agenda.

I remember watching the Orioles-Cuban games on ESPN and FOX in 1999. During the game in Baltimore, Fidel Castro had a very negative opinion of MLB, the U.S., and Orioles owner Peter Angelos, so I'm not too sure Castro will support this proposal, seeing as how the Cuban government would be scared of defections.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: May 13, 2005 1:15 AM | HT Fan ]

I really hate the idea of national all-star teams competing against other countries - it feels jingoistic and will be a step backwards if people start to value this more than their own individual countries' club championships. Why not do something like Europe's Champions League in soccer, with clubs competing against other clubs from other countries? Baseball is a team game, and an assembly of all-stars does not necessarily make up a team.
[ Author: leicester | Posted: May 13, 2005 8:54 AM | SL Fan ]

Heian, I must respectfully disagree. I do not think it is jingoistic to wish one's nation to triumph in sport over another's, and I think that your argument is undercut by your implication that a "Champions League"-type of competition would be better. Afterall, even corporate entities come from somewhere.

As far as the comparison with football, while yearly club competitions are the lifeblood, the World Cup is the heart and soul, made special by it's relative rarity. I would agree that the tournament would be ruined if held every year. But as a rarity it could (and should) be special.

I do not mean to pick on your post, but your last comment left me a bit puzzled as well, as I had a similar discussion recently. Baseball, I think, is the least team-oriented of the "team" sports. It is essentially the sum of a series of individual matchups over a series of 9 innings. Yes, there are elements of teamwork (mostly in fielding), but a sport like football is far more team-oriented (and you are correct that an assembly of all-starts do not make a team).
[ Author: pigskins15 | Posted: Jun 7, 2005 10:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

Here is my line up

1. Ichiro Suzuki (RF)
2. Shinya Miyamoto (SS)
3. Tamura Hitoshi (CF)
4. Hideki Matsui (LF)
5. Kenji Jojima (DH)
6. Nobuhiko Matsunaka (1B)
7. Michihiro Ogasawara (3B)
8. Atsuya Furuta (C)
9. Tadahito Iguchi (2B)

Starters: Koji Uehara, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hisashi Iwakuma, Kenshin Kawakami

Bullpen: Hirotoshi Ishii, Kazuhisa Ishii,Ryota Igarashi, Daisuke Miura,

Bench: Kazuo Matsui, Yoshitomo Tani, Yoshinobu Takahasi, Norihiro Nakamura, Shinnosuke Abe, Takayuki Shimizu, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Koichi Isobe

Manager: Sadaharu Oh
[ Author: leicester | Posted: May 13, 2005 1:37 AM | SL Fan ]

I am very excited about this. However, I'm not so sure how important it is that Cuba attend. Yes, they have been forces in the past internationally, however the only decent estimate of the overall skill level of the Cuban League has it in the general level of the NY-Penn League. (source: baseballprospectus.com). This was based mainly on the comparative statistics of those who played in Cuba, NPB, MLB, and the Olympics. It seems every year that there is some team very disappointed with a Cuban defector.

More important, to me, is the inclusion of a representative Japanese team, which is something being taken for granted in the press releases I have read, but may become a sticking point.

Having said all that, I am really looking foward to this tournament, and I sincerly hope all (or at least a good majority) of the players (and owners) take the tournament seriously. It should be a lot of fun.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 13, 2005 7:10 AM | CLM Fan ]

Ok, so here is my lineup:

1. Norihiro Akahoshi(CF)
2. Tadahito Iguchi(2B)
3. Ichiro(RF)
4. Hideki Matsui(CF)
5. Kazuhiro Kiyohara(DH)
6. Kenji Johjima(C)
7. Michihiro Ogasawara(1B)
8. Akinori Iwamura(3B)
9. Tsuyoshi Nishioka(SS)

Starting rotation: Koji Uehara, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hisashi Iwakuma, Hiroki Kuroda

Bullpen: Masahide Kobayashi, Ryota Igarashi, Shunsuke Watanabe, Hitoki Iwase, Kiyoshi Toyoda

Bench: Atsuya Furuta, Hiroki Kokubo, Kazuo Matsui, Tsuyoshi Shinjo
[ Author: jballfan | Posted: May 13, 2005 12:23 PM | TYS Fan ]

Hmmm. Interesting choices. Mine is similar with a few changes.

Starters:
Catcher: Johjima (FSH)
First: Ogasawara (NHF)
Second: Iguchi (CWS)
Third: Kokubo (YG)
Shortstop: Miyamoto (captain -just because he was amazing during the Olympics) (YS)
Left: Hideki Matsui (NYY)
Center: Tamura (YBS)
Right: Ichiro (Sea)
DH: Matsunaka (FSH)

Bench:
Kazuo Matsui (SS and 2nd)
Akinori Iwamura (3rd, 2nd, and CF)
Shinnosuke Abe (C)
Shinjo (OF)

Starting Rotation:
Uehara, Matsuzaka, Iwakuma, Igawa

Bullpen:
Iwase, Hirotoshi Ishii, M. Kobayashi, Otsuka
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: May 13, 2005 12:39 PM | YAK Fan ]

Interesting lineup for Japan you've got there BigManZam. If it were a 25 man roster I'd have it something like this:

1. Ichiro Suzuki (RF)
2. Shinya Miyamoto (SS)
3. Yoshinobu Takahashi (LF)
4. Hideki Matsui (DH)
5. Kenji Jojima (C)
6. Nobuhiko Matsunaka (1B)
7. Michihiro Ogasawara (3B)
8. Hitoshi Tamura (CF)
9. Tadahito Iguchi (2B)

Starters: Koji Uehara, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hisashi Iwakuma, Hiroki Kuroda

Bullpen: Hirotoshi Ishii, Kazuhisa Ishii, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Akinori Otsuka, Keiichi Yabu, Daisuke Miura

Bench: Kazuo Matsui, Yoshitomo Tani, Kazuya Fukuura, Norihiro Nakamura, Shinnosuke Abe, Norihiro Akahoshi

Manager: either Katsuya Nomura or Senichi Hoshino

I went for experience along with clutch performers, as well as those with some international experience such as playing in the Athens Olympics last year, or playing in the MLB exhibition series.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 13, 2005 3:45 PM | CLM Fan ]

I created my lineup for these reasons. I think Akahoshi is the top leadoff hitter in Japan right now. He hits for average, can get infield hits, and steal bases at will. You follow that up with Iguchi, who has been hitting at #2 the whole time in the US. He can put down bunts, hit for average, and swing for the fences. His defense and baserunning are solid. He turns the double play better than any White Sox fans expected. Ichiro batted #3 in Japan. We all know what he's capable of. He's a freak of nature, and he can hit for power when he wants to. Matsui is the obvious choice for #4 batter. I'd probably put him in left and put Akahoshi in the middle, since Matsui is used to playing in left with the Yankees. Akahoshi's speed would be wasted in left field.

I know Kiyohara seems like a crazy pick at #5, but it has a reason. He's easily the most recognized player in NPB right now. You need someone representing the Giants, and he's batting really well right now. If Matsui fails to clean up after the first three speedsters get on, Kiyohara will be right there, just like old times. He's also really intense and can give Japan an edge that no other players can supply.

Johjima is the best pick for a power hitting catcher who can also throw guys out and defend.

Ogasawara has great defense at first base, unlike Matsunaka. He's also showed he can hit for both average and power, but I worry about his full swing against MLB pitching. Iwamura rocked MLB pitching in the Nichi-Bei Series, and he also stole bases at will. He could be an X-factor for team Japan. Nishioka is a crazy pick, but I like him more than any other Japanese shortstop. He's exploded this year to get lots of hits and stolen bases. Miyamoto would probably be a better pick for defense, though.

Uehara, Matsuzaka, Iwakuma, and Kuroda are the obvious choices for the starting rotation. They have the velocity and movement to beat major leaguers, and they can all pitch until the final out.

Most of my bullpen are closers, but their ERAs are very solid. Kobayashi, Iwase, and Toyoda are the most consistent closers in Japan. All three guys have enough velocity to take on major league batters. Watanabe is the guy you'd use to catch guys off balance with the slow submarine pitches. Igarashi is the fireballer you'd use to complete that one two punch.

I like Furuta on the bench, since he's a clubhouse leader. He could replace Johjima easily, and his bat can be used for pinch hitting. Kokubo can play backup third base and first base, and you can't ignore his stats from last year. I picked him over Matsunaka, since he has the advantage in defense and depth. Kaz Matsui is a pick I wasn't quite sure of, but he's familiar with major leaguers now, and he can play backup at shortstop and second base. He could also pinch run and pinch hit in tight situations. I picked Shinjo mostly because of his star power and defensive capabilities. He can play all over the outfield, unlike other Japanese outfielders like Kanemoto, Wada, Fukudome, etc.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 15, 2005 12:17 AM | HT Fan ]

It looks as if there's some resistance to the idea in Japan. According to the Daily Yomiuri, the NPB is unhappy with the share of the proceeds they've been promised.

The Classic is an interesting idea, although it would be fascinating to see what happens if two non-US teams make it through to the final. Will the fans still turn out?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 15, 2005 9:20 AM ]

It does look like that could be a major problem to a World Baseball Classic, hopefully they will settle this problem before the Classic next year.

- The Classic is an interesting idea, although it would be fascinating to see what happens if two non-US teams make it through to the final. Will the fans still turn out?

Though I think, that baseball fans will turn out for the finals if they are televised. The finals are speculated to be played in San Deigo's PETCO Park, so if they have a good campaign to sell the tickets, I'm pretty sure the fans will show up to watch regardless of who plays in the finals. Anyway, I hope fans do turn in regardless of who plays in the finals (because I know I will be there regardless of who plays in the finals), and I hope that there is truly comprhensive television coverage of the games, unlike last year's MLB-NPB series in which were not showed on television in the United States.

Also, I hope that they show a combination of the games, not just the U.S. ones. I espically want to see the Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico, Venezuela, and Dominican Republic, too.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 21, 2005 8:38 AM ]

Jim Small, MLB's representative in Japan, told the Daily Yomiuri that the concerns of the NPB are currently being addressed, as well of those of all the participating leagues, federations, and their player unions.

MLB and the MLBPA have sought the backing of the International Baseball Federation to ensure the touranment will have international appeal. This means that all players involved will have to adhere to the strict drug testing and punishments of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Small said that NPB Japanese sponsors will be guaranteed an opportunity to take part in the event, but that 70-80% of the revenue will come from the United States. Small also said "At the end of the day, the fans don't care about the squabbles between NPB and MLB. And we are going to have a great touranment." [Link - Daily Yomiuri]

I think this touranment will be a great success once the small bits and pieces are solved, and looking forward to the World Baseball Classic a lot.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 15, 2005 10:05 AM ]

If I had to choose a 25 man roster it would like this:

C- Kenji Johjima, Atsuya Furuta
1B- Nobuhiko Matsunaka, Kazuhiro Kioyhara
2B- Tadahito Iguchi, Makoto Imaoka
3B- Akinori Iwamura, Norihiro Nakamura
SS- Shinya Miyamota, Kaz Matsui
OF- Ichiro Suzuki, Hideki Matsui, Kosuke Fukudome, Tomoaki Kanemoto, Kazuhiro Wada
SP- Koji Uehara, Daisuke Matsunaka, Kei Igawa, Hisashi Iwakuma, Kenshin Kawakami
RP- Hirotoshi Ishii, Akinori Otsuka, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Keiichi Yabu
CP- Shingo Takatsu
Manager- I would like to see Shigeo Nagashima manage first, then Senichi Hoshino and Katsuya Nomura

Anyway, does anyone know if Nagashima's health is good enough for Nagashima to manage since he missed out on managing Japan's Olympic team?
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 21, 2005 1:17 PM | HT Fan ]

I agree with most of your picks, John, but I'd like to add a few revisions:

In:
Michihiro Ogasawara
Hiroki Kokubo
Hiroyuki Nakajima
Nagisa Arakaki
Tsuyoshi Wada
Kiyoshi(?) Toyoda

Out:
Kiyohara
Nakamura
Miyamoto (Tough call, I really like Miyamoto.)
Yabu
Takatsu
Iwakuma or Hasegawa (This is another tough call. Maybe leave Iwakuma instead of Toyoda.)

There are so many more that I'd like to choose. Shima, Akahoshi, Takahashi, Nioka, Andoh, Tani, .... It'd be so interesting to see how these guys hold up in international competition at the highest level.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: May 25, 2005 8:05 PM | SL Fan ]

Looking at the proposed schedule here [MLB Japan - in Japanese], combined with the information in the original post.

Asian pool round March 3-5
Americas pool round March 8-11
2nd round March 13-15
Semifinals March 18
Finals March 20

It looks like each nation will only have to use 3 starting pitchers. This would be beneficial for nations with relatively weaker 4th and 5th starters.

So, Matsuzaka, Uehara, and ??? tough choice.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: May 26, 2005 2:02 PM ]

- So, Matsuzaka, Uehara, and ??? tough choice.

What about Ohka or Ishii? MLB guys with plenty of international experience. I'd prefer Ohka, at least at the moment. When he's on, he can beat anyone.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 27, 2005 8:56 AM ]

- So, Matsuzaka, Uehara, and ??? tough choice.

If given only a chance to choose 3 pitchers I would go with Matsunaka, Uehara, and last year's Sawamura Award winner (the major league equlivant to the Cy Young Award) Kenshin Kawakami.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 31, 2005 8:44 AM ]

Right now, it looks like Japan's participation in the World Baseball Classic isn't looking so secure. The deadline is July 11th before MLB unveils its details about the tournament and its participants.

The idea in conflict is how the income for the touranment is being handled, Kazuo Hasegawa (Secretary of the NPB commissioner's office) said to reporters. Hasegawa said that the funds should go to the Japanese side and not put into a fund to be "shared by everyone."

Jim Small, MLB's representative in Japan, said "If we allow Japan a seperate deal, it would ruin the business model." Small said that he thought there was a mutual agreement when the representatives of MLB, NPB, and the KBO met last November.

Hasegawa said, "Our understanding was that our agreement was to take part in the touranment, and that we would voice our concerns at a December meeting of the steering committee, but MLB cancelled that meeting without any explanation".

Small said, however, that MLB did notify NPB of the cancellation because they were still waiting for an agreement with the International Baseball Federation. The NPB has notified Small, saying that no deal can be reached until at least Mid-July, when discussed by the owners.

Source: Daily Yomiuri

Let's hope that all sides in this touranment will get everything worked out in time for the World Baseball Classic, because without Japan in the World Baseball Classic it would be a failure.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: May 31, 2005 11:28 AM | SL Fan ]

Hmm. Japan can't be expected to host the Asian round without deriving any benefit from the event.
[ Author: Guest: Jacob | Posted: Jun 1, 2005 12:07 PM ]

There are rumors that Japan will not even play in the International Baseball Classic because of disagreements between Nippon and MLB.
[ Author: Samurai Gratz | Posted: Jun 1, 2005 10:01 AM | HC Fan ]

Agreed - if Japan isn't included, they might as well not have a "World Baseball Classic." NPB is clearly among the elite class of professional baseball leagues worldwide, and to not have its players represented would be like having a Football World Cup in which England or Brazil did not play.

Let's hope they get everything hammered out!
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jun 3, 2005 6:37 AM ]

Here are the projected rosters for your beloved Asian nations: Link [Baseball America].

P.S. Go Taiwan!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 3, 2005 7:41 AM ]

It's interesting that Baseball America have Nomo and Ohka on the current roster. As Nomo Stats] has been below average this year, and Nomo was off last year. Nomo is 3-5 with a 6.53 ERA this year, with more walks than strikeouts (35 BB to 33 K). While Ohka has a been a good pitcher, he takes away from more deserving pitchers such as Kenshin Kawakami. I also repeat my opinion that I hope Shigeo Nagashima will manage the Japanese team, with either Hoshino or Katsuya Nomura managing if Nagashima doesn't.

Also with Korea's roster, I don't think Kim [Stats] should be on the roster, as he been downright abysmal the last few years, including this year. Kim is 0-4 with a 6.67 ERA in 18G/2GS, and has 23 BB to 25 K's.

Other than Nomo and Ohka on Japan's roster and Kim on Korea's roster, I can't see many problems with their projections.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jun 3, 2005 1:35 PM ]

I believe Nomo's uncanny windup will still help him get past teams with players that have never see him before, and that includes many hitters on the three other teams in the Asia pool.

Kim needs to get his act together, that's it. He's also just inconsistent, He can be very good when he's on, and his prior experience on the National Team will help him, which is why I think they put him on the projected team roster. Who would you rather have, him or someone you never heard of pitching in the Korean league?

I project Japan will finish 4th/5th, Taiwan/Korea 7th/8th, China 14th.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 12:13 AM ]

- I believe Nomo's uncanny windup will still help him get past teams with players that have never see him before

I really don't think so. Nomo's injury the last few years have really hurt Nomo's command. Also, a more deserving Japanese pitcher defintely deserves to pitch over Nomo.

- He can be very good when he's on, and his prior experience on the National Team will help him

Kim has had control issues last year, and is getting lit up in Coors Field.

- Who would you rather have, him or someone you never heard of pitching in the Korean league?

I would rather have an unknown Korean pitcher than Kim, who doesn't deserve to be on the team.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 12:06 PM ]

Who deserves over Nomo? Having Nomo on the team is a way to say "Thank you" before he retires. He opened the door for all other Asian baseball players. Him being on the team is like having Magic Johnson on the '92 Dream Team. Sure, Magic had AIDS and was already retired, but didn't he deserve some recognization for what he'd accomplished in his career? That's why the same thing should be for Nomo.

And Kim getting lit up in Coors Field? Who doesn't? And it's up to the Korean baseball federation to decide if Kim "deserves" to be on the team or not.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 11:14 PM ]

- Who deserves over Nomo? Having Nomo on the team is a way to say "Thank you" before he retires.

There are plenty of players that deserve over Nomo. This roster shouldn't be a "let's thank everybody" roster, they should truly make the best roster possible. It should not be a MLB All Star roster, that has players that don't always deserve to play, but are voted on anyways.

Please, the rosters of teams in this touranment shouldn't be littered with players that we should say "thank you" to. This takes away from the enjoyment factor of the World Baseball Classic. Everyone in Japan and the Far East are well aware that Nomo opened up the door for Asian players to play in the Majors. But when there are more deserving Japanese pitchers, such as last year's Sawamura Award winner Kenshin Kawakami, Nomo shouldn't be on the roster.

- And it's up to the Korean baseball federation to decide if Kim "deserves" to be on the team or not.

And let's hope that the Korean Baseball Federation selects a far more deserving Korean pitcher than Kim, who also got lit up in Boston and AAA Pawtucket. Kim was 2-1 with a 6.23 ERA last year in Boston. Sure, with these numbers Kim deserves a roster spot (sacrasm). I repeat my opinion stated above, that I hope a more deserving, unknown Korean pitcher pitches over Kim. [Kim's MLB Stats]

- Japan's showing in Athens made it so one doesn't want to hold up any high expectations for them.

Please, adding players that played in MLB will surely offset last year's performance in Athens. Japan will have Ichiro Suzuki and Hideki Matsui for sure. These are two of the best of Japan's hitters. Also, Japan will probably call from major leaguers Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Keiichi Yabu, Shingo Takatsu, Akinori Ohtuska, Kaz Matsui, Norihiro Nakamura, and Tadahito Iguchi. Combine that with last year's Triple Crown winner Nobuhiko Matsunaka, last year's Sawamura winner Kenshin Kawakami, and starters such as Uehara and Matsuzaka (all three pitchers right now are major league level pitchers).

In this touranment I don't see Cuba being a major force due to the fact that they are playing with a National Team, against numerous other countries playing with major league players. I could be wrong, but I seriously don't see Cuba being a major force. Yes, Canada and Venzeuela are sleepers in this touranment and will probably place somewhere from 4th to 5th.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jun 5, 2005 9:22 AM ]

Why must you argue? It seems like you always has beef with certain players and let it blind you to become a fan instead.

Did I say Japan's national team should consist a roster full of "let's thank everybody?" I said Nomo, that's it. Do I want every former Major Leaguer like Irabu, Yoshii, Komiyama, Nomura, or even Mac Suzuki on the team to say thank you for making it to the majors?

Magic Johnson couldn't even dunk when he was on the Dream Team. Christian Laettner was on the team also, so like you said, Japan should send it's best roster for the Classic, yeah. I really believe Magic Johnson and Christian Laettner were two of the best 12 basketball players in the United States back in 1992.

If Kim's really that terrible, he wouldn't still be getting a paycheck from a Major League team. And if there is someone back in Korea that's better, he would be pitching in the Majors. According to your theory, teams should send their best talent over, so I assume Kim isn't one of the best 10 pitchers out of South Korea right now, eh?

I say, instead of reply to me, use the time to e-mail the Japanese and Korean National Team selection committees, and tell them to please not put Nomo and Kim on their teams for next March.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 5, 2005 8:56 PM ]

- It seems like you always has beef with certain "players and let it blind you to become a fan instead.

I never have had a beef with Nomo, and never will. I also still admire Nomo's willingness to keep pitching. Though, as a fan I really don't want to see a roster spot taken up by Nomo, who isn't pitching well enough right now to deserve a roster spot. Hey, maybe Nomo can be a coach, kind of like Don Drysdale was one for 1988 NL All Star Team, that would be more appropriate. I'm postive, the Japan team wouldn't oppose it if he was a honorary coach.

Also, don't try to imply that because I have a problem with some people on the Baseball America roster, that I'm not a fan. It's a sad attack on somebody, and has no place in this topic. I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing with me, but your attack on my love of baseball is sad.

I am also more of a fan than most of today's generation. I was the team manager for my high school baseball team, and plan on going to college for baseball journalism/broadcasting. If I wasn't a fan of baseball, do you think I would be as passionate about baseball as I am?

- If Kim's really that terrible, he wouldn't still be getting a paycheck from a Major League team. And if there is someone back in Korea that's better, he would be pitching in the Majors.

Hey, I was not the one that signed Kim's contract. As you know, except for the Rockies, teams were not exactly rushing to sign Kim. Why was it that teams weren't rushing to sign Kim? Was it last year's performance in Boston and Pawtucket?

Also, about your point that if there was a better Korean pitcher, he would be pitching in the majors, I am sure you're well aware of the reserve clause in the respective Asian leagues. As quoted from the KBO website, "Players who have 7 year experience will be able to play {in a} foreign league" and "Players who have 9 year experience in the Korean Baseball League will be entitled to declare himself a free agent and shall have the right to sign with any club worldwide including any KBO club." [Link - KBO official site - in English]
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 12:04 PM | SL Fan ]

Well, since you two aren't the Team Japan organizer it doesn't matter, but the situation can be appeased because Japan really only needs three starters due to the scheduling quirk(?). Matsuzaka, Uehara, and Kawakami would do (they all have amazing K/BB ratios, Matsuzaka with high Ks and Uehara and Kawakami with only 7 walks in around 70 innings! so far this season) and Nomo can be on the team as a long relief man, yeah?

The Magic comparison is not apt though. Back then the Dream Team absolutely creamed the competition. This World Baseball thing's gonna be very very competitive, like the hockey World Cup.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 7:03 AM | HT Fan ]

- In this touranment I don't see Cuba being a major force due to the fact that they are playing with a National Team, against numerous other countries playing with major league players. I could be wrong, but I seriously don't see Cuba being a major force.

I disagree. Baseball is as much a part of Cuban society as it is anywhere in the world. Were it not for the fact that the island country is run by a sociopath you'd see plenty of MLBers coming from there.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 8:41 AM ]

- Baseball is as much a part of Cuban society as it is anywhere in the world. Were it not for the fact that the island country is run by a sociopath you'd see plenty of MLBers coming from there.

Like I said above, I'm not too sure if Cuba is going be a major force, but I think they're going to finish in the top 10. Cuba, is one of the most passionate baseball countries in the world. It's just too bad they're run by Fidel Castro, who's Revolution has ran out, where most people in Cuba don't care one way or another about the Revolution.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 12:39 AM ]

- I project Japan will finish 4th/5th

I think that Japan will either finish anywhere from first to third. It depends on how well the United States and the Dominican Republic do. Though, by no means is Japan going to finish as low as 4th or 5th.

- China 14th

Though, I think that China can definetly beat countries such as Italy and the Netherlands. So they will be better than those two teams, but are far behind the other countries in Asia (Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan).
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 11:52 AM | HT Fan ]

- I think that Japan will either finish anywhere from first to third. It depends on how well the United States and the Dominican Republic do. Though, by no means is Japan going to finish as low as 4th or 5th.

I'd say 1st to 4th depending on whether or not Cuba takes part.
[ Author: FrankIsTheMan | Posted: Jun 4, 2005 12:02 PM ]

Japan's showing in Athens made it so one doesn't want to hold up any high expectations for them. I've look over rosters of Canada and Venezuela, and I think those two, along with the U.S., Cuba, and Dominican Republic are the ones to beat in the tournament. Projecting Japan to finish 4th/5th is actually not that bad considering what other nations have. And don't forget about Australia with their silver medal performance in Athens and a team full of players that's playing pro baseball in the U.S.

China will not beat Netherlands, plain and simple. They've got players like Randall Simon, Sidney Ponson, Andruw Jones, and bunch of minor leaguers that have had a cup of coffee in the Majors. Projecting China to finish 14th is actually another compliment by me. They, along with South Africa, will be the worst teams, and Italy will be a dog fight for them. To think of the team Italy has now, I might think 15th place is the best China can place in the tournament. The Italian team has some former minor leaguers in the U.S. I don't think anyone on China's squad is good enough to play in AA level over here.

As long as Cuba doesn't get the Gold, I'm happy.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 6:50 PM ]

This article [Japan Times], however, says that NPB Executive Secretary gave the green light at a November 4, 2004 meeting.

Jim Small, MLB's representative in Japan told Japanese and English media, "Since then nothing has changed," and that's why MLB seems to be confused by conflicting reports in the press.

Also, according to Small, "this is about seeing the best baseball players in the world competing. It's not about business or politics."

Also, the article goes on to say, "We [MLB] are the ones taking all the risks and, should if this event unprofitable, which we don't think it will, the others will not lose financially. The touranment will pay their expenses, and they will share in the profit, and have a chance to win prize money."

Also, MLB has allocated Japan two seats on the WBC Steering Commitee that will plan future WBC events in 2009, 2013, and beyond.

Furthermore, rosters will apparently be a 28-man roster.

These comments are a welcome sign, and make me feel secure about the overall success of the World Baseball Classic, because, as I mentioned before, without Japan the World Baseball Classic would be a failure.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 21, 2005 5:33 PM ]

MLB said it will give the NPB until June 30th to determine whether they will play in the World Baseball Classic.

A MLB contingent, including Paul Archey from the international unit, and Gene Orza from the union, traveled to Japan last week to try and get a commitment from the heads of the NPB.

Japanese owners have reportedly balked at the tournament so far, because of monetary questions on how the money will be split. The JBPBA has balked also as they prefer a November timeslot, and say they weren't consulted sufficently during the whole process.

MLBPA executive Gene Orza said "I think they felt that they should have had more consulation afforded them than they believe was the case." Orza added, "We tried to reassure them that would be case going forward."

[Full Article - MLB.com]

Details of the countries participating will be unveiled before the MLB All Star Game, July 12th at Detroit. Hopefully, Japan will be participating in the World Baseball Classic, because without them this touranment would be a failure before it even got off the ground. The tournament shouldn't even be played without Japan being in it, as it wouldn't even be representative of some of the highest baseball competition in the world.

Right now, we need to see an equal representation on decision making and more even distibution of funds in the tournament.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 22, 2005 8:28 AM ]

Pacific League President Tadao Koike said, "Basically we are moving in the direction of participating." Koike added, "However, there are several issues that we want to discuss with Major League Baseball. We will make a decision by the end of the month."

According to Swallows' catcher Atsuya Furuta (the head of the JBPBA), several Japanese players prefer to have the event in November. Toru Matsubara, executive director of the JBPBA said, "We agree in principle with the concept of an international competition like the World Baseball Classic." However, Matsubara added, "Frankly, we'd like to have more input in the decision-making process, but if NPB decides to take part, we will likely go along with their direction."

Full Story - Daily Yomiuri
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 23, 2005 11:55 AM ]

Yomiuri's Jim Allen has an interesting opinion piece on the World Baseball Classic.
  • "Like NPB, MLB is ran by owners, and owners here know that an owners job is to look out for No. 1 and not offer a good deal to anyone. Knowing they themselves don't give anything away easily, Japan's owners have good cause to be suspicious of other owners in other leagues."
  • "Unlike Japan's owners, the reputation of MLB is seriously tainted by a history of exploiting their host communities. To call MLB's misuse of its monopoly leverage to extract money from taxpayers 'extortion' would give that word a bad name."
  • Also, according to this article it said people in the NPB Commissioner's Office were telling reporters that a boycott by Japan would mean South Korea(KBO) and Taiwan(CPBL) would also pull out.

[Full Story]
[ Author: Guest: Antonio | Posted: Jun 29, 2005 8:09 AM ]

Does anybody know where I can get tickets for the World Baseball Classic?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 29, 2005 8:46 AM ]

- Does anybody know where I can get tickets for the World Baseball Classic?

Right now, no. Though they might discuss details of tickets before this year's MLB All Star Game in Detroit when they discuss the details of the WBC.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 10:09 AM ]

The NPB has made it's participation in the WBC official in an e-mail to MLB. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 1, 2005 2:54 PM ]

Japan's approval to play in the WBC is also subject to a vote by the JBPBA. Numerous Japanese players have said that they prefer to play the qualifying games in March, and then hold the finals in July.

The JBPBA has said it will wait to after the July 22nd meeting to say if the players will be willing to play in the WBC.

[Japan Times Coverage]
[Japan Ball Coverage]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 23, 2005 11:59 AM ]

Ichiro told reporters that he's unsure whether he would play even if Japan has a team. Ichiro said to reporters "You don't know what kind of touranment this is going to be, and the future of the tournament." He went on, "You don't know if it's going to be a big thing or not." [Full Story - Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 6, 2005 7:02 PM ]

Now that the rosters are apparently 28-man rosters I would add:

CP-Kiyoshi Toyoda (to replace Takatsu)
3B-Michiro Ogasawara
OF-Norihiro Akahoshi, Shigenobu Shima, Tsuyoshi Wada
[ Author: Guest: james the hot kid | Posted: Jul 26, 2005 4:14 PM ]

Here's who I'd have for the U.S. team:

C-Jason Varitek
1B-Derrek Lee
2B- Brian Roberts
SS-Derek Jeter
3B- Alex Rodriguez
OF-Barry Bonds
OF-Johnny Damon
OF-Ken Griffey Jr

SP- Roger Clemens
SP-Roy Halladay
SP-Randy Johnson
Sp-Chris Carpenter
SP-Jake Peavy
MR-Jon Garland
RP- Billy Wagner
RP-Joe Nathan
Closer- Jeff Isringhausen
[ Author: Guest: Mooch | Posted: Jul 27, 2005 9:13 AM ]

Can anybody match these "Platanos"?

RF-VLADIMIR GUERRERO
CF-SAMMY SOSA
LF-MANNY RAMIREZ
3B-ALEX RODRIGUEZ
SS-MIGUEL TEJADA
2B-ALFONSO SORIANO
1B-DAVID ORTIZ

Pitchers start with Pedro!

I'm not even going to keep going.

Let's go Tigers!
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: Aug 2, 2005 12:04 AM ]

How does Taiwan look? The ESPN link was kind of depressing seeing that their outlook isn't too bright. =( I just hope we don't play too poorly.

By the way, can anyone tell me more about Chinese baseball? I've yet to hear about their players and their website isn't very informative.

Taiwan:
C Chun-chang Ye
1B Chia-hsien Hsieh
2B Chung-yi Huang
3B Tai-shan Chang
SS Ching-lung Hu (Dodgers)
LF Chin-feng Chen (Dodgers)
CF Chih-yuan Chen
RF Kan-lin Huang
DH Cheng-min Peng
SP Chien-ming Wang (Yankees)
SP Chi-Hung Cheng (Blue Jays)
SP Chih-chia Chang
SP Ming-chieh Hsu
RP Chin-hui Tsao (Rockies)
Manager: Sheng-ming Hsu
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 2, 2005 8:51 AM ]

Taiwan has some more prospects in the minor leagues.

Pitchers: Po-Hsuan Keng, Chi-Hung Cheng, Ching Lo, Hong-Chih Kuo, and Huang Chia An.
Catcher: Chao Kaun Wu
Third baseman: Yung Chi Chen
Shortstops: Hyung Cho, Chin-lung Hu

The Mariners, Blue Jays, and Dodgers have signed a number of Taiwanese players and seem to have the most knowledgeable scouting in Taiwan.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 8:00 PM ]

MLB and the MLBPA have been in talks with the JBPBA over the last couple days this article [MLB.com] states.

These meetings took place Monday and Tuesday (August 15-16th) in New York. On Wednesday, the international committee and executive council heard a report stating that MLB International was close to finalizing the venues for the event and would probably have a complete list by this September. They said the likelihood of Japan's participation is promising.

MLB President and COO Bob DuPuy said "We've made a lot of progress on venues - and, frankly, we've made a lot of progress with the Japanese. We've had very constructive meetings with both the NPB owners and representatives of their players' association. We listened to their concerns. We understand their concerns. We explained what our concerns were for this the first go-around. They're going to go back and give us a response."

DuPuy also said: "But we are guardedly optimistic and very hopeful that the Japanese will agree to participate in what promises to be a terrific event."

This is starting to sound like the same old broken record by MLB. Hopefully the JBPBA will stand up some more. So far MLB hasn't changed their stance at all towards a WBC designed towards benefiting them only.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 7:02 AM ]

Hyung Cho was born in Canada and has Korean heritage background. I don't know where you get him and Taiwan mixed together.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 11:35 AM | SL Fan ]

If JPBPA doesn't agree, will Japan still participate with a team of major leaguers and amateurs? I guess it's too early to tell, but it's an interesting possibility.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 12:12 PM ]

- If JPBPA doesn't agree, will Japan still participate with a team of major leaguers and amateurs? I guess it's too early to tell, but it's an interesting possibility.

I doubt it. To have MLB turn around and have a Japanese team of major league players and ameteurs would be a slap on the face to the JBPBA when they said they have listened to their concerns. If the JBPBA doesn't agree I doubt Japan will play. It could happen, but would really be a slap on the face.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 1:08 PM | HAN Fan ]

It is practically impossible that NPB will field an official team if the JPBPA refuses. It would not only be a slap to the players, but also to the owners as well. Remember the owners do not really want to take part in the tournament as it stands but couldn't find a reason to say no. NPB is not going to go against these powerful groups - it isn't the Japanese style. A Japanese team will only participate if all parties are agreed.
[ Author: jss328 | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 11:47 PM | CD Fan ]

Great news! Players to Approve the WBC.

The Daily Yomiuri is reporting that the players union is expected to approve their participation in the WBC. [Not yet available on-line.]

What changed JPBPA's collective mind?
"We will go ahead because we feel things will be equal in the future," Murata [Pacific League secretary general Shigeru Murata]. "It won't be like they are the hosts and we are their guests."

Jim Small, the managing director of MLB Japan, said that while MLB and its union will retain ownership of the WBC, no one side would have a majority on the steering committee to plan the next tournament in 2009."
I'll soon be booking my trip to Japan for next March. This will be great!
[ Author: jss328 | Posted: Sep 1, 2005 8:45 AM | CD Fan ]

Actually, the link I had to the story about the WBC was from this article at Yomiuri Shinbun. It came on-line today.

Thanks!
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:38 AM | SL Fan ]

I somehow can't picture MLB and MLBPA giving up any control in WBC matters in the future. But I'll take Japanese participation in this and look forward to the competition.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 8, 2005 10:21 AM | HAN Fan ]

According to the Japan Times talks between NPB and the Japanese players association broke up without conclusion on Wednesday. They will meet again next week to see if they can reach an agreement.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 11:13 PM ]

The NPB have asked Sadahuru Oh to manage the Japan team. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:25 AM ]

MLB Japan's head in charge, Jim Small, told the Daily Yomiuri by telephone, "I don't think they really believe it, when I say time is running out for them."

"I was told it would take a couple of days and they would get back to me by Friday at the latest."

"Over the past year, NPB and the union have shown nothing to make us believe we can accept their word. But a decision has to be made in a day or two."

Overall this is a statement that has described the MLB point of view towards the WBC (unable to compromise and that the MLB and the MLBPA are the only true power in this event).

It's still like Furuta said earlier, right now this event is still being designed with the MLB and the MLBPA futures in mind.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 15, 2005 11:59 AM ]

Here's the above article from the Daily Yomiuri.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 16, 2005 3:20 PM | HAN Fan ]

The Japanese Professional Baseball Players Association has agreed to participate in the inagural WBC. It will be interesting to see what the Japanese side looks like.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 1, 2005 4:27 AM ]

MLB has announced that PETCO Park (home of the San Deigo Padres) will indeed be the home of the semi-finals and finals of the WBC.

The semi-final games are scheduled for March 18th and the championship game is scheduled for March 20th, but the times and dates of the games will remain flexible to an expected television schedule.

Gene Archey, VP of MLB International Baseball Operations, said that the process of selecting MLB players to 15 of the 16 countries has already begun (not including Cuba). MLB has committed to send at least 270 players (9 players off the 25-man rosters of each 30 MLB team). The Cuban National Team would bring their own team. Archey said the roster selections should be made public in November.

Full Story - MLB.com
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 1, 2005 11:33 AM ]

Would Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tsuyoshi Wada be in for Japan? And what about Tomo Ohka and the others in the MLB, would they be in it for Japan also?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 1, 2005 11:59 AM ]

I think Japan's starting rotation should be:
  1. Daisuke Matsuzaka
  2. Tsuyoshi Wada
  3. Tomokazu Ohka
Bullpen: Uehara, Iwakuma, Iwase, Ohtsuka, Kuroda, Igawa, Sugiuchi, T. Kubota, and maybe Hideo Nomo?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:41 PM ]

The NPB has announced that Yasunori Ohshima will be the hitting coach and that Yoshitaka Katori will be the pitching coach. [Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 11, 2005 11:36 PM ]

The NPB has also appointed former Giants' pitcher Kazuhiro Takeda as a pitching coach and former Yakult Swallows' infielder Hatsuhiko Tsuji as infield defense coach. So as of right now the Japan Coaching Staff is:

Manager - Sadahuru Oh (Softbank Hawks)
Hitting Coach - Yasunori Katori (former Nippon Ham Fighters manager)
Pitching Coaches - Yoshitaka Katori (former Giants' pitching coach), Kazuhiro Takeda (former Giants' pitcher)
Infield Defense Coach - Hatsuhiko Tsuji (Former Yakult Swallows' infielder)
Outfield Defense Coach - TBA

[Full Story - Mainichi Daily News]
[ Author: Guest: Jon Monteforte | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 12:12 AM ]

Are Matsui, Ichiro, Uehara, and especially Matsuzaka going to play in the World Baseball Classic?
[ Author: locked_up | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 10:40 AM | SL Fan ]

I want to see Fumiya Nishiguichi, especially with his low 60's overhand changeup on the Japnese team for the WBC. He's got like the best breaking balls I've ever seen.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 18, 2005 2:17 AM ]

Former major leaguer Jim Lefebvre will manage the Chinese team, former Yankee and coach Luis Sojo will manage the Venezuelan team, former major leaguer Roberto Kelly will manage the Panama team, and Mets third base coach Manny Acta will manage the Dominican Republic team, replacing Yankees coach Tony Pena.

Meanwhile, the search for the U.S. manager is moving forward. As of now, Orioles announcer and former Blue Jays manager Buck Martinez, former manager Lou Piniella, former Twins manager Tom Kelly, former manager Don Baylor, and former Orioles manager Davey Johnson is being considered for the U.S. managerial spot.

[Full Story - Minor League Baseball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 28, 2005 7:52 AM ]

Lions pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka said he will play for Japan in the WBC. [Full Story - Daily Yomiuri]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 29, 2005 9:38 AM ]

Blue Jays' bench coach Ernie Whitt will manage for Canada, Jon Deeble will manage for Australia, Robert Eenhoorn will manage for the Dutch team, Hua-Wei Lin will manage the Chinese Taipei team, and In-Sik Kim will manage the South Korea team. [Full Story - MLB.com]
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 30, 2005 12:54 AM | HAN Fan ]

All of the 16 countries represented in the World Baseball Classic presently or in the past have had professional baseball leagues except South Africa. A more logical choice should have been Nicaragua or Colombia who both have contributed many players to MLB.

Nicaragua has a professional baseball league that runs from October through January followed by a playoff that continues into February. Colombia used to have a professional league until violence made conditions unsafe.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Nov 30, 2005 8:24 AM | HT Fan ]

- All of the 16 countries represented in the World Baseball Classic presently or in the past have had professional baseball leagues except South Africa.

Although it should be pointed out that the Australian professional league was at best semi-professional, and was unsustainable because of lack of interest from the general public. But of course we Aussiaes are a competitive bunch, and that's why we're the current Olympic silver medal holders. But baseball will never be a truly pro sport in the country.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 30, 2005 11:42 AM | HAN Fan ]

Aussie ball still has produced a number of MLB and NPB players. My contention is that many countries deserved to be in the WBC more than South Africa (such as Nicaragua and Colombia).
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Nov 30, 2005 10:03 PM | HNHF Fan ]

My idea in outfield is:

Hideki Matsui LF
So Taguchi CF
Ichiro Suzuki RF

Because the three of them also have a lot of experience in MLB. And Taguchi this year has played so nice for in both offense and defense.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 4:25 AM ]

Ichiro Suzuki will play for the Japanese team also, the Seattle Times said. Ichiro accepted an invitation from Hawks manager Sadahuru Oh to play in the WBC next spring. [Japan Ball Story] [Seattle Times Story]
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 9:27 AM | HT Fan ]

- My contention is that many countries deserved to be in the WBC more than South Africa (such as Nicaragua and Colombia).

And you're quite right, too.

BTW, does anyone know whether the Aussies currently in MLB will be permitted (by their respective clubs) to play for the Australian team? I heard that there was some doubt about this. What are the actual rules regarding releasing players for this tournament?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 10:21 AM ]

- BTW, does anyone know whether the Aussies currently in MLB will be permitted (by their respective clubs) to play for the Australian team?

The following qualify a player to play in the WBC.
  • The player is a citizen of the nation the team represents, as evident by a valid passport the player holds as of January 15,2006; or
  • The player is a permanent legal resident of the nation or territory the team represents, as evidenced by documentation satisfactory to World Baseball Classic Inc. and the IBAF; or
  • The player was born in the nation or territory the team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent; or
  • The player has one or more parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the nation the team represents, as evidenced by a passport or other documentation satisfactory to World Baseball Classic Inc. and the IBAF; or
  • The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent.
(Additionally if a player has ancestral ties to a participating country/territory such that, in his and the participating country's/territory's opinion, the player should be declared eligible to play for that country/territory, they may petition World Baseball Classic Inc. for a declaration of his eligibility. Such petition will be granted if World Baseball Classic Inc. and the IBAF jointly determine that the player's participation is justified, and further reasonably can be seen as promoting international baseball. In the event a player is eligible to play on more than one team, the player may select the team he wishes to play provided that nothing shall prohibit such a player from declaring his willingness to play for any team for which he is eligible to play.)

[WBC FAQ - MLB.com]
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:39 AM | HT Fan ]

Right, but that doesn't answer the question. Will the MLB teams actually release the players?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 7:50 PM | HT Fan ]

I found the following Q&A from the link kindly provided by John, but it still doesn't really answer my question, which is, will all the Aussie players in MLB be permitted to play?

The answer below states: "The selection of all players under contract with MLB Clubs must be approved by World Baseball Classic, Inc..." However, this suggests that there's a possibility some players won't be approved. I wonder what the guidlines are.
Q: How will players be selected for the World Baseball Classic?

A: Each National Federation, in cooperation with the professional leagues in each country/territory (to the extent that such an organization exists), will select the players that will represent their team. The selection of all players under contract with MLB Clubs must be approved by World Baseball Classic, Inc., the tournament entity jointly governed by MLB and the MLBPA.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 8:36 PM ]

- Will the MLB teams actually release the players?

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, as it would be hypocritical not to. Any MLB player is eligible to play.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 10:51 PM | HT Fan ]

Ah yes, hypocrisy. It's hardly unknown in the world of baseball you know.

Anyway that's what I heard - that some clubs weren't willing to part with the Aussie players. That's why I want to have it clarified.
[ Author: Maos.W | Posted: Dec 2, 2005 11:51 PM | SL Fan ]

I have been hearing stuff about how the Yankees won't let Wang pitch for Taiwan.
[ Author: Guest: valverde | Posted: Dec 3, 2005 6:30 PM ]

In my opinion as a Dominican native, I believe that DR is one of the powerful houses at the moment, but I'm not saying that they will win it all. They have something to prove like all the teams, but in my opinion DR are in a better position than the U.S.A. team to actually win the title. Sure, U.S.A. with better pitching and some good power, but I believe they don't have anything to prove anymore. I mean, Johnny Damon is too busy getting the right offer to play baseball, Paul Konerko is still in World Series Land, Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens are not even sure. But I heard Barry Bonds might participate.

I think the young kids who are not busy with contracts and still have baseball fever inside will represent the U.S.A. Yes, of course you will see some veterans, but is it enough to at least pass the first round?

If the actual baseball stars from the U.S.A. take part in this Classic, then I will say that we have a Dream Team. For example, don't compare Roger Clemens with Josh Becket, Randy Johnson with Dontrelle Willis, or Barry Bonds with Hank Blaylock. There is a big diference between a rising star and a star.
Cuba Joins
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 12:51 PM | HAN Fan ]

Apparently Fidel Castro has said that Cuba will be competing in the WBC. This would mean that everyone has confirmed their attendance.
Re: Cuba Joins
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 4:49 PM ]

There will be a major press conference today (December 5th) at the Winter Meetings to announce the WBC. Also, the meeting will formally announce the managers of the countries participating in the WBC.

Also, Castro told Panamanian reporters last Friday in Havana that "We will participate and demonstrate that we know what to do in baseball." Castro added in the Panamanian newspaper La Prensa that the WBC should be "very interesting." Plus, in a speech televised in Havana last week he said "you count on us at the party." Though Castro didn't mention the WBC by name, he basically has implied that Cuba has indeed agreed to play in the WBC confirming every country's participation. [Story 1 [MLB.com] [Story 2 [MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 6, 2005 7:11 AM ]

Former Blue Jays manager and current Orioles announcer Buck Martinez will manage the U.S. team.

Former Oriole player and manager Davey Johnson (former Yomiuri Giant mostly known for replacing Shigeo Nagashima) will be bench coach for the U.S. team, Ken Griffey Sr. will be the first base coach, Marchel Lachemann will be the pitching coach, and former Yomiuri Giant Reggie Smith as hitting coach. Right now the third base coach spot is undecided, Rick Eckstein will help in the bullpen, but won't be in uniform.

[Announcement 1 - MLB] [Announcement 2 - MLB]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 6, 2005 7:18 AM ]

So far this is this the list of accepted players by country who have accepted to play in the WBC.

Here's more information on the managers of the respective teams.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 6, 2005 7:25 AM ]

This MLB.com page has ticket information for all 5 venues of the WBC. Tickets for the rounds in San Juan will go on sale December 10th. Tickets for the rounds in San Deigo (semi-finals and finals), Anaheim, and Orlando will go on sale December 12th. Tickets for the series in Japan will be announced at a later date.
World Baseball Classic Tickets
[ Author: Guest: James | Posted: Dec 27, 2005 1:28 AM ]

I just got my tickets for the 4 games in Scottsdale. They make you buy tickets for the entire "strip" or tickets for all the games; I only wanted tickets to the exhibition game, USA vs. Giants. There is no way to get tickets for just one game unless you go through a ticket re-seller. I wish I had known that before I bought all my tickets. If you end up with extra tickets you can sell them to one of these rellers. I sold my extra games to TickCo. I didn't get a whole lot for them, but it helped offset the cost of the strip.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 6, 2005 8:10 AM ]

Also, MLB.com had the WBC press conference up live. [Windows Media Stream]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 9, 2005 5:35 AM ]

Oh has also indicated that Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui will be included on Japan's 30-man roster for the WBC. Also, Oh has gotten the nod from two other Japanese players on top of Ichiro Suzuki, White Sox second baseman Tadahito Iguchi and Padres pitcher Akinori Ohtsuka.

Baseball sources have said Marines pitcher Shunsuke Watanabe and catcher Tomoya Satozaki have been shortlisted to play on the Japan team. Other strong candidates include: Giants pitcher Koji Uehara, Carp pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, Hawks pitchers Toshiya Sugiuchi and Tsuyoshi Wada, Hawks first baseman Nobuhiko Matsunaka, and Fighters third baseman Michihiro Ogasawara.

Source: Japan Ball.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 11, 2005 9:40 AM ]

Are any of the Japan games going to be shown in the U.S?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 11, 2005 4:52 PM ]

I'm not sure if they'll be showing all the games played in Japan or not, but I think I read somewhere that they will (although I don't have the link). If you go to www.mlb.tv, it says that they will have "live streaming of the World Baseball Classic." If that means they'll be showing all the games, that will be great because the cost is only $10, which is really, really cheap. I would pay for it even just to watch one game if they happened to not be showing a Japan game on TV.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 11, 2005 9:47 AM ]

Eight Korean major league players have agreed to participate in the WBC. In total, 60 Korean players have agreed to participate.

Padres' pitcher Chan Ho Park, Dodgers' first baseman Hee-Seop Choi, Mets' pitcher Jae Seo, Rockies' pitchers Sun-Woo Kim, Byung-Hyun Kim, former Mets' pitcher Dae-Sung Koo, and Mariners outfielder Shin-Soo Choo. [MLB article]

Right now, I'm in the proccess of translating the Korean list of agreed participants from the KBO website. Right now, I'm in the pitchers' list, having small problems here and there.
Cuban Participation
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 16, 2005 12:06 PM | HAN Fan ]

The organisers of the WBC have been told by the U.S. Government that Cuba will not be permitted to send a team. They are currently trying to get the U.S. Government to change its position but will announce a replacement if this is not possible.
Re: Cuban Participation
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Dec 16, 2005 6:17 PM | SL Fan ]

They couldn't swing the same deal that the Orioles got when they played against Cuba some years ago? [ESPN Story]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 24, 2005 2:51 PM ]

Nikkan Sports (in Japanese) has the Asian Pool times:

March 3rd: Taiwan-Korea (11:00), Japan-China (18:00)
March 4th: China-Korea (11:00), Taiwan-Japan (18:00)
March 5th: China-Taiwan (11:00), Japan-Korea (18:00)

Also, the Taiwanese, Korean, and Chinese teams will face the Yomiuri Giants and Chiba Lotte Marines in practice games.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 1:10 AM ]

Just adding details about the warm up games.

Feb 24 Japan - NPB Selects (Fukuoka Dome)
Feb 25 Japan - NPB Selects (Fukuoka Dome)
Feb 26 Japan - Chiba Lotte Marines (Fukuoka Dome)
Feb 28 Taiwan - Chiba Lotte Marines (Tokyo Dome, Noon)
Feb 28 China - Yomiuri Giants (Tokyo Dome, 7pm)
Mar 1 Korea - Chiba Lotte Marines (Tokyo Dome, Noon)
Mar 1 Japan - Yomiuri Giants (Tokyo Dome, 7pm)

Wow, the Marines are playing 3 warm up games, good sport. The matchups with the club teams will be interesting, too.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 26, 2005 2:03 AM ]

Does anyone know about the very strange tournament format [MLB.com]?

Usually in any international competition, if there are 2 groups (such as in the Round 2 of WBC), the top two teams cross over with the other group in the semi-finals. But for some reason in the WBC, the semi-final game is played against the team in the same group. Weird.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 3, 2006 12:46 AM ]

The Kansas City Royals are schudeled to host either Taiwan, Korea, or China WBC qualifer teams in a exhibition game on March 8th at Surprise Stadium, depending on what team makes it out of the Pool A bracket. The Seattle Mariners are most likely schudeled to play Japan in a exhibition game. [Full KansasCity.com Article]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 3, 2006 12:52 AM ]

The Australian WBC team will host its spring training at the Red Sox's minor league complex at Fort Myers, Florida from March 3rd to March 6th. The Australian team is managed by Jon Deeble, the Red Sox coordinator of Pacific Rim scouting.

The Boston Red Sox will also play an exhibition game versus the Australian WBC team on March 5th at Fort Myers, FL. The game starts at 6:05 PM (Eastern Standard Time). [Ticket Information]

[Full Article on MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 11, 2006 1:49 AM ]

If the Italian WBC team decides to stay in the WBC, they will play an exhibition split-squad game against the Detroit Tigers on March 4th at 1:05 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time). [Full MLB.com Article]
WBC: Asian Qualifier vs. Mariners and Royals
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 10:54 AM ]

The Seattle Mariners will play an split-squad intersquad exhibition against the Asian WBC first qualifier at 6:05 PM (Pacific Standard Time) at Peoria, and the Kansas City Royals will play the second Asian WBC qualifier at Surprise Stadium in Surprise, AZ at 8:05 PM (Central Standard Time).

The Royals-Asian WBC qualfier game has tickets available for it. Ticket information is here.

[Mariners March 2006 Schedule] [Royals March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Astros vs. Dominican Republic
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 10:58 AM ]

The Astros will play an exhibition split-squad game against the Dominican Republic WBC team on March 5th at Kissimmee, Florida. The game starts at 12:05 PM (Central Standard Time). [Astros March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: A's vs. South Africa
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:02 AM ]

The South African WBC team will play the A's on March 4th at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The game starts at 12:05 PM (Pacific Standard Time). Ticket information for this game is here. [A's March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Blue Jays vs. Canada
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:07 AM ]

The Canadian WBC team will play an exhibition split-squad against the Toronto Blue Jays on March 3rd at Dunedin, FL. The game will start on 1:05 PM (Eastern Standard Time). Ticket information for the game is here. [Blue Jays March 2006 Schedule.]
WBC: Braves vs. Dutch
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:13 AM ]

Also, if the Dutch WBC team decides to stay in the WBC, they will play an exhibition split-squad game against the Braves on March 5th in Lake Buena Vista, FL at the Disney Wide World of Sports. The game starts at 1:05 PM (Eastern Standard Time). Ticket information for this game is available here. [Braves March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Brewers vs. Asian Qualifier
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:16 AM ]

The Brewers will play the Asian WBC first qualifier in an exhibition split-squad game on March 10th. [Brewers March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Diamondbacks vs. Mexico
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:25 AM ]

The Arizona Diamondbacks will play an exhibition split-squad against the Mexican WBC team on March 4th. [Diamondbacks March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Mets vs. Puerto Rico
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:31 AM ]

If the Puerto Rican WBC team decides to stay in the WBC, they will play an exhibition split-squad against the New York Mets on March 5th. [Mets March 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Nationals vs. Panama
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:32 AM ]

The Washington Nationals will play an exhibition split-squad against the Panama WBC team on March 4th. [Nationals 2006 Schedule]
WBC: Padres vs. Asian Qualifier
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:35 AM ]

The San Deigo Padres will play an exhibition split-squad against the second Asian WBC qualifier on March 10th. [Padres Schedule]
WBC: Phillies vs Venezuela
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:38 AM ]

The Phillies will play an exhibition split-squad game against the Venezuelan WBC team if Venezuela decides to stay in the WBC on March 4th at Clearwater, Florida. The game will start at 1:05 PM(Eastern Standard Time). Ticket information for this game is here. [Phillies Schedule]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 11:42 AM ]

The Texas Rangers will play an exhibition split-squad game against the first Asian WBC qualifier at Surprise Stadium in Surprise, AZ on March 9th. The game will start on 8:05 PM(Central Standard Time).

Ticket information for this game is here. [Texas Rangers Schedule]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 5, 2006 8:17 AM ]

Gary Garland has written in his Central League report over at Japan Baseball Daily that Uehara will start the opener against China, March 3rd. Also, there is talk of Uehara starting the final game if Japan makes it that far.
[ Author: Guest: Curious | Posted: Jan 7, 2006 6:12 PM ]

So far no one has mentioned Matsui pulling out. What's the buzz on that in the Japanese baseball world? For any of the contending teams to have to lose any one player, that seems to me about the worst possible. What do you think that does to their chances? What are the fans saying?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 3:15 PM | SL Fan ]

Matsui is the biggest missing piece of the puzzle. But the Japanese team began full of holes (very few Dragons, Tigers, and Giants players, despite their talent), major leaguer Iguchi and Ohtsuka have backed out of their commitments, and the roster designed by Oh is curiously overloaded with his rival, Marines, players.
Problems with the World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 9:30 PM | HAN Fan ]

With South Africa and other countries threatening to pull out if Cuba is not included, this competition is in serious trouble. It will be interesting to see if the U.S. government does relent.
Re: Problems with the World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 11:07 PM | HAN Fan ]

Many of the problems listed on this WBC posting (playoff format, scheduling, countries selected, and diplomatic difficulties) stem from Bud Selig and Major League Baseball's haste in trying to put together the series before soccer/football has its FIFA World Cup this year. Six months is not sufficient time to put together a first class world event!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 11:22 PM ]

Venezuela and Puerto Rico have also threatened to pull out of the WBC if the United States doesn't reverse their decision. Though, of note Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez wants to use the situation as political fire.

Chavez is a key ally of communist-controlled Cuba. U.S. and Cuba relations have always been shaky and very confusing since the Bay of Pigs in 1962. Since, the Bush adminstration has come into in power, a much tougher stance has been taken on Castro than was seen in the Clinton adminstration. An example of this is families have only been able to visit their families in Cuba once every 3 years or so now instead of every year or so.

Though this situation is still confused by Cold War pretexts. The U.S. government has objected to the Cuban government making any profit from a game taking place on U.S. soil. Cuba has agreed to donate any money they won to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, though it is Communist Cuba in the minds of the U.S. government. Which is a very tough and confusing history dating back to the 1950's in the Eisenhower adminstration when Castro overthrew Batista in a coup d'etat.

Also, Puerto Rico, which is a U.S. commonwealth, is due to host Pool C of the WBC, which Cuba is playing in, which might be another reason why the United States government objects so much to Cuba playing. Though, Puerto Rico itself has said it might withdraw completely from the WBC if Cuba isn't allowed to play in the WBC. [WBC Headlines]

Next, the IBAF (International Baseball Federation) has said it might revoke a sanction on the WBC on the reason of "political discrimination." This means that any IBAF nations that play in any other IBAF sanctioned events in the future would be subject to penalties in the future. The IBAF hosts its own Baseball World Cup and sanctions teams to participate in the Olympics. The IBAF is a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and must adhere to those standards. [MLB.com Story]

Overall, I want to see Cuba play in the tournament because the tournament would otherwise be a failure. Without Cuba, the tournament wouldn't be a success, Cuba is an international baseball presence, without them Puerto Rico and Venezuela would drop out, and the IBAF would revoke its sanction on the WBC. It would be best if the U.S. government allows Cuba the same deal the Cuban national team had against the Orioles in 1999, though that was over 6 years ago. Of high note, many things have changed since then, American public opinion and the world around us.

Sorry to go off on such a political spectrum, but I felt it was neccessary to explain this topic.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 11, 2006 6:27 AM | HAN Fan ]

Meanwhile, Nicargaua, and to a lesser extent Colombia, wait to see if they will be selected as a replacement for Cuba. Both of these countries are more deserving than South Africa!

Major League Baseball did not give itself enough time to prepare for such a world class event. These problems that are popping up - Cuba, NPB, KBO, scheduling, format, etc. all required adequete time to work out.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 1:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

This thread is getting a bit too long. Let's put new things in new threads. [That means that I'm auto-rejecting anything new to this thread.]

Also, I'd like to focus on the Asian involvement in the WBC. There are other sites that cover the World Baseball Classic in general.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.