Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Watanabe Appointed Giants Chairman

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Watanabe Appointed Giants Chairman
It's probably naive (or more likely, darn right incorrect) to assume that he was ever away, but former Giants' owner and "evil toad," Tsuneo Watanabe, is back in an official role at the Giants. News - Japan Ball]

The part I found most interesting was:
He added that he looks forward to discussions with the heads of the other 11 clubs to find ways of rebuilding Japanese pro baseball.
Well from where I'm sitting Japan's Pro Baseball seems to be healthier than ever, with the inter-league play proving very popular with supporters and leading to some of the most exciting games and matchups I can remember. Exactly how does it need rebuilding? If Watanabe had had his way we'd be all watching a single league this season.

Oh, wait a minute! He said: "The Giants are facing a historical crisis now. It is time that the team rebuild itself and aim to become champions again." Watanabe was referring to the club which is languishing in last place in the Central League. Ahhhhh. It all makes sense now. I'm sure he'll try to change the rules/system to help his team back into contention and give them an even bigger advantage than they've historically always had. (Like he did a couple of seasons ago with the changing of the Central League rankings to follow games won rather than winning percentage).

The fact that the Giants have stumbled so badly this year has given renewed hope to supporters of all the other clubs in the fact that, despite the Giant's poaching of the oppositions best players, their enourmous player salaries, and their media monopoly, they are still at bottom of a CL currently being led by an unfashionable yogurt company.
Comments
Re: Watanabe Appointed Giants Chairman
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jun 9, 2005 12:39 AM | HT Fan ]

Well said!

Although as of today, the yogurt company is sharing the Central League lead with the Dragons and Tigers, providing more excitement than the Giants could ever hope to generate by themselves.
Re: Watanabe Appointed Giants Chairman
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jun 10, 2005 6:47 PM | SL Fan ]

Great post - from a Swallows fan. I agree wholeheartedly. The only way to get rid of the Nabetsune cancer is ...

There are supposedly 5 Giants fans registered with the site, but I have yet to read one defense of Yomiuri's practices within NPB. Are they that indefensible?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.