Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Omar Linares

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Omar Linares
Omar Linares of Cuba is coming to play in Japan for Chunichi. He was a great player in Cuba, but he getting to be kind of old. Will he do any good in Japan? Will he start? Good luck to him, I hope he defects.
Comments
Re: Omar Linares
[ Author: Guest: Mike | Posted: Jul 11, 2002 12:48 PM ]

This is interesting that he want to go to Japan instead of the U.S. play, I once heard or read somewhere that he was considered the best player in Cuba.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 11, 2002 4:27 PM ]

Actually, "want" has nothing to do with it. The rumor, according to the Japanese press, is that Linares is in line to become the manager of the Cuban National Team.
Consequently, this is part scouting trip for him as well as a way to pick up Japanese coaching methods.
[ Author: Guest: Juan Carlos | Posted: Jul 26, 2002 3:31 AM ]

How are you Mike?
Linares did not choose Japan over the USA. He was allowed by the government to go there and play, and pretty sure that more than half of the money he will be making will be going to the government. I had the privilege of seen Linares play when he was in his early 20's and boy was he an amazing player. He is considered to be one of the best players ever if not the best in Cuba. I think he can still shine but he is going to have to get in better shape, Cuban players don't hit the weight room like in the USA so their bodies run out of gas faster. But I think he is still fairly young and should play some good baseball.
[ Author: Dragons+Cubs | Posted: Jul 18, 2002 5:23 PM | CD Fan ]

Linares was on my flight last Saturday from Narita to Nagoya. Didn't realize it until after the fact when my in-laws talked about the hoopla he received upon arrival. (My family and I were buried at the back of the plane!)

Is it true he will be starting at the ni-gun level? I had hoped to see him play when I see the Dragons and Carp at Nagoya Dome next week.
[ Author: Dragons+Cubs | Posted: Jul 24, 2002 11:43 PM | CD Fan ]

As has been well documented, the 4th time was a charm for Omar Linares in his Dragons debut against Hiroshima. The first three times up, with men on base, he struck out, grounded out and struck out again. Then, in the bottom of the 8th, in a 1-1 tie (Melvin Bunch pitched terrificly into the top of the 8th), he finally got it done with a two RBI single. The Dragons exploded for 4 in the bottom of the 8th and won going away, 5-1. Great game to witness in person!
[ Author: Guest: Javier Cabrera | Posted: Jul 25, 2002 1:41 AM ]

I'm a big fam of Linares here in cbu, and I need more information please.

Thanks
[ Author: Dragons+Cubs | Posted: Jul 25, 2002 4:13 PM | CD Fan ]

I videotaped Linares' first at bat and he worked the count full before striking out. He was pretty aggressive at the plate seemingly trying to really crush the ball.

He got a large welcome reception and the fans were particularly excited each time he came up in the game.
His single bounced hard out in front of the plate and went over the infield into left field down the line. That allowed two runners to score. At that point, it was the 8th inning and Linares was pulled for a pinch runner.

He started the game at first and played there until about the 6th or 7th inning, when he was moved over to third. He played well defensively at first and I remember him making a particularly good play and long throw from third to get a runner.

If I remember any other details, I will try to fill in the blanks. That's what I remember for now, anyway.

Wish I could've seen last night's game but don't know any details. Only know the Dragons beat the Carp 1-0.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 27, 2002 6:22 PM ]

Linares, according to the Japanese sports press, is being pulled from the starting lineup after going 1-11 with six strikeouts in his first three Japan games. He is reportedly out of shape still. He talks to Orestes Kindelan every night while living in a $140 a night hotel in Nagoya, and has talked to Antonio Pacheco as well. Pacheco says that Linares is at about 70% right now.

Kuroda was eating Linares alive with forkballs and then, in that fourth at bat, threw him a 90mph fastball that he bounced on the artificial turf over the head of Takahiro Arai, who was playing in due to the bases being loaded.
[ Author: Guest: leonard | Posted: Oct 7, 2002 11:07 AM ]

Yes, he was once the best player in Cuba. He's amazing at offense and really good at defense. He has a strong arm playing 3rd base but in the last few years he came out of shape, and that doesn't help at all.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.