Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Owners Agree on New Draft System

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Owners Agree on New Draft System
The NPB's owners approved Tuesday, will see the introduction of a new amateur draft system.

One that will see high-school players picked seperately from other draft choices, (collegiate level and industrial). The new system calls for the 12 CL and PL teams to get together in Early October to select high school players, and then meet again in Mid-November to select the rest.

Owners also decided to lower the number of players teams can acquire from top amateur players via free competition from two to one. Under this system, known as "pre-draft arrangement", collegiate and industrial level players are allowed to name what teams they want to play for.

The new draft system is subject to review in 2007, and was given the green light as a compromise between clubs demanding the worst club from the year before be given the best chance to rebuild. Also, some called for no change in the current draft system that allows for free competition.

http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=4403
Comments
Re: Owners Agree on New Draft System
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Jul 20, 2005 7:16 AM ]

Whoa! These changes actually seem to make sense - far more than I could ever believe the Giants (whose new owner was of course there on TV saying a "free market" was preferable, at least as long as Yomiuri has the money to out-spend everyone else combined) would ever allow.
And only eight years before free-agency?!?

So, what is wrong with this? Something, I'm sure we'll find.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 21, 2005 4:22 AM ]

Obviously, the team that wins the All-Star Game now will get a trivial advantage in the High School draft in October, like Jim Allen said "yawn". This is just as bad as playing the MLB All Star Game for Home Field Advantage in my opinion.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20050721TDY24001.htm

[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 10:19 PM ]

does anyone know what the team salary levels for NPB? I am sure that sema is correct that the midgets outspend everyone else but it would interesting to see by how much.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 22, 2005 11:03 PM ]

The Giants have a reported $300-400 million dollars in team revenue(this is from ticket sales, TV, and souvenirs).

http://www.japanmediareview.com/japan/blog/archive.cfm?start=622
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 2, 2005 1:59 AM ]

High School provisional picks for the new amateur draft will be permitted on September 26 before actual choices are made on October 3.

Also, officials said a decision whether to adopt a system that allows collegiate and industrial level players to name which team they wish to play for [gyaku-shimei] will be made by September 30th.

[Full Story - Japan Ball]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.