Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kazuo Reaches 3-3-3 Goal Plus Alpha

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kazuo Reaches 3-3-3 Goal Plus Alpha
Kazuo Matsui (Lions) has reached his 3-3-3 goal of batting .300 with 30 home runs and 30 stolen bases to become the 8th player to do so since 1950. The last person to do it was Tomoaki Kanemoto (Hiroshima), discussed a bit on this thread. For those who don't want to check, the new 3-3-3 list of players is:

YearPlayer (Team)AvgHRsSBs
Bessho (Mainichi)
Iwamoto (Shochiku)
Nakanishi (Nishitetsu)
Minota (?) (Hankyu)
Akiyama (Seibu)
Nomura (Hiroshima)
Kanemoto (Hiroshima)
Matsui (Seibu)

Of course, the line on Matsui isn't final, but it's highly unlikely that he'll drop .026 points in the Lions' last 19 games. And the home runs and stolen bases have no where to go but up.

As an added bonus, Matsui has hit 38 doubles, the only player in the above list to have 30 or more in the same season, making it quadruple three's for this all around shortstop.

As for the Lions, team mates Alex Cabrera and Kazuhiro Wada both have above .300 averages, with Wada reaching 30 home runs last night (Sept. 15) together with Matsui. This is the first Pacific League team and only second in Pro Yakyu history to have three players at .300 with 30 homers since the 1985 Hanshin Tigers.

Now the world awaits the Matsui-Matsui match-up in the Nihon Series next month.

Comments
Re: Kazuo Reaches 3-3-3 Goal Plus Alpha
[ Author: Guest: JinguLover | Posted: Sep 17, 2002 10:58 PM ]

It seems like Cabrera's heat has transferred to the bats of Wada and Matsui! They both have been hitting homeruns for three consecutive games. I was wondering how many teams have had three batters hit over 35 homeruns in a season, since both Wada and Matsui will likely reach that mark. I can't recall any such feat happening in the recent past, so I was wondering if any teams have done it...
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Sep 18, 2002 5:04 PM ]

Kazuo Matsui is the first switch hitter to have gone .300-30-30 in Japanese history. One other more obscure note: he is the first player in Japanese history to have hit an inside the park homer leading off a game (it was then done a short time later the same season by someone from Hanshin and hasn't been done since), which he did a few years ago. Several others have done it leading off the BOTTOM of the first.
[ Author: Guest: Takumi Takahashi | Posted: Dec 7, 2003 6:28 AM ]

Oh Yeah? I got a 5-5-5 Stolen Bas Plus Beta!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.