Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Mike Romano: Emergency Leave

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Mike Romano: Emergency Leave
Hiroshima Carp pitcher Mike Romano took emergency leave from the club on the 31st to fly back home to New Orleans, Louisiana, due to the damage from hurricane Katrina. His wife, daughter, and son are all said to be safe, and were evacuated from the New Orleans area. There is no set date for when Mike will return to Japan. [Original Article from Nikkan Sports (in Japanese)]

It's good to hear that his family is safe, although the article states that his house was destroyed.
Comments
Re: Mike Romano: Emergency Leave
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Sep 2, 2005 2:34 PM ]

I received an e-mail from Maria Romano, Mike's wife. Mike and his family are temporarily living in Lake Bistineau State Park outside of Shreveport. Her Uncle and brother are still unaccounted for. No confirmation on their home as of yet, but I have heard that 80-90% of the buildings in St. Bernard's Parish have been destroyed. I think everyone hopes the best for them. I doubt he will return this season.
[ Author: Guest: Kevin Witt | Posted: Sep 3, 2005 2:51 AM ]

I read your post about the Romanos' situation right now, and I have been trying to get hold of him through his teammates whom all have played several years with Mike. Please send me his e-mail address if you have it, or even a phone number if possible. I live in Houston and would like to offer help. Please send to my e-mail address at "kwitt12 at aol d0t com." Thank you very much.

Kevin
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Sep 4, 2005 7:04 AM ]

Kevin, I will forward your message and copy you on the e-mail.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Jan 11, 2006 5:03 AM | TYS Fan ]

I never heard any update on this. Did they find Romano's wife's family? Were they okay?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 11, 2006 9:39 AM ]

All is well with the family. They eventually got into contact with everyone, thank goodnes. Their home and belongings however are a total loss.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 6:49 AM ]

Is Romano coming back to the Carp?
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Jan 12, 2006 2:34 PM ]

Yes, Mike has re-signed for 2006.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.