Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kintestu, Orix Manager Ohgi Dies at 70

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kintestu, Orix Manager Ohgi Dies at 70
Former Kintestu Buffaloes and Orix BlueWave manager Akira Ohgi died at age 70 on Thursday (December 15, 2005) people close to him said. Ohgi played for the Nishitestu Lions from 1954 to 1967. He batted .229 with 70 HRs and 326 RBI. He was selected to one All Star team (1961).

Ohgi later became a coach with the Nishitestu Lions after his retirement in 1968, then moved on to Kintestu in 1970, serving as a coach from 1970 to 1987. Later, he became a baseball commentator, managed the Kintestu Buffaloes (1988-1992) and Orix BlueWave (1994-2001) and became famous for helping spring Ichiro Suzuki to fame.

Ohgi led the Orix Buffaloes to a exciting 4th place finish in 2005, though stepping down at the end of the season siting health problems. Ohgi was inducted into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame in 2004.

This is truly a sad moment to this year. I like to give my best condolences to Ohgi's family in this time.

[Japan Ball Article] [Japan Baseball Daily Stats]

[Corrected date on Dec 16, 2005 2:08 PM, JST - Thanks Brooks-san for catching the error.]
Comments
Re: Kintestu, Orix Manager Ohgi Dies at 70
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 16, 2005 1:52 PM ]

Ohgi was also famous for helping jumpstart Hideo Nomo, Shigetoshi Hasegawa, So Taguchi, and Masato Yoshii into major league careers.

Ohgi was most famous for helping spear Ichiro Suzuki to fame, after former Orix BlueWave manager Shozo Doi said Ichiro would "never hit with that batting style," under the leadership of Ohgi, Ichiro went on to break the all-time NPB single-season hit record with 210 hits. Ichiro won seven batting titles under the leadership of Ohgi.

Ohgi led the Orix BlueWave to PL pennants in 1995 and 1996 after the deadly Kobe earthquake which killed 6,000 plus. Ohgi had a career 988-815-53 record as manager.

[Japan Ball Article] [Japan Baseball Daily Obituary]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 17, 2005 12:37 AM ]

Mariners' outfielder Ichiro Suzuki was left speechless for words to discuss Ohgi's death. Yoshiki Okada, a representative of Ichiro's management office, said the Mariners' outfielder was left "stunned" and could not find the words to express his feelings when he heard the news in Los Angeles through a acquaintance. Okada said, "He may be thinking that there are no appropriate words to convey his feelings (about Ohgi's death)." Okada right now is in Los Angeles with Ichiro.

Ichiro later said about Ohgi, "I wouldn't have been what I am without manager Ohgi and my gratitude and appreciation to him couldn't be greater." Ichiro Suzuki maintained his close relationship with Ohgi even after moving onto the major leagues, Ichiro was at the Hall of Fame ceremony for Ohgi last December, and visited him after returning to the United States early last month.

[Full Japan Ball Story]
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Dec 18, 2005 10:41 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I was so sad when I heard the news that he passed away! He was a legendary manager!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 9:20 AM ]

Yomiuri Shimbun's Jim Allen had a very good piece on Akira Ohgi. [Link]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:14 PM ]

He was also a hard drinking man, old school. He was a great manager, an interesting person, and helped bring Japanese baseball to the world. He will be missed.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.