Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fujikawa's Consecutive Shut-Out Innings Comes To End

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Fujikawa's Consecutive Shut-Out Innings Comes To End
I'm surprised to see nobody mention this, and it wasn't a top news story on Yahoo! Sports or TV highlights. Anyway, Kyuji Fujikawa got in a pinch the other day and finally gave up a run on a wild pitch. I believe he was approaching the top 5 all time in consecutive shut-out innings.

I've been watching Kyuji pitch a lot this year, and if he keeps batters swinging at that high heat, he'll end the season with an ERA easily under 0.50. My question is this, if he finishes the season in that form, does he really have anything else to prove in NPB? He had a pretty solid outing in the WBC.
Comments
Re: Fujikawa's Consecutive Shut-Out Innings Comes To End
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 14, 2006 5:08 PM | HT Fan ]

- Kyuji Fujikawa ... finally gave up a run on a wild pitch.

Man, it was wild! As he has done for a while now, he was really hurling the ball hard, reaching a steady 152-153km/h with a couple of pitches clocking in at 154km/h and one that maxed at 155km/h, and mixing it up with the odd 120km/h-or-so breaking pitch. Anyway, he was spraying the ball around a bit, and Noguchi appeared to be having a torrid time, so the wild pitch had an air of inevitability about it.

It wasn't so much a "pitch" as a plain old throw; Kyuji released it above his head and it never looked like descending. In fact, it looked like an outfield return throw to make Shinjo proud. Still, it was fun to watch some real heat out there from Kyuji.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 14, 2006 6:57 PM | CLM Fan ]

Yeah, I believe he reached 155 km/h on the first pitch after he allowed the run. Looks like he put some extra emotion into it.

Anyway, I'd like to add that all the people that Fujikawa was in the company of in the top 10 were all pitchers in the Showa era (1925-1989). He's definitely the most impressive Japanese pitcher since Matsuzaka, and his runs at long-standing records proves that, in my opinion. Of course last year he broke the single season record for games pitched with 80.

The guy has a mid-90s fastball with crazy movement, a solid curve, and fork. He'd be scary to face once he steps up those breaking balls. I don't think the fastball is gonna get much faster. Anyway, I'd hate to see him wait until free agency and be a shell of his former self. Thoughts of Kiyoshi Toyoda come to mind.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 14, 2006 11:24 PM | HT Fan ]

- He had a pretty solid outing in the WBC.

Really? Over 2.2 innings he allowed four hits, gave up a run, hit a batter, and was charged with a loss. He did strike out three, but I wouldn't exactly call the outing solid.
Re: Fujikawa
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 3:44 AM | CLM Fan ]

Of course he was shaky in stats, because it was basically spring training, but his fastball seemed to do well against MLB batters.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 15, 2006 9:12 PM | HT Fan ]

- Of course he was shaky in stats, because it was basically spring training, but his fastball seemed to do well against MLB batters.

Fair enough. He just seemed to be overshadowed somewhat by a few of his teammates.

But do you know whether he even wants to go to the majors? Maybe he'd first rather be part of a championship-winning Hanshin team before he considers a risky move overseas. Just a thought.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:57 PM | SL Fan ]

How's his off speed pitch? He's been blowing away batters with mostly fastballs this season, right? Some people on TV have even raving about how he only used fastballs in his recent appearances. That's good and all, but it won't work in the majors, and maybe NPB clubs will adjust too. Still, he has a kick butt moving fastball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.