Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers Tour: Game 9

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Tigers Tour: Game 9
The game tonight featured a pitching duel between Fukuhara and Uehara. The game was scoreless with two hits each until the bottom of the 8th when the Tigers manufactured a beautiful run. Toritani made a nice hit to right center which didn't even get to the wall, but he legged it out for a double. Yano, up next, grounded out to the right side to move Toritani to third. Sekimoto hit a lazy fly ball to center field and Toritani came racing home. Thank god that kid's got some speed.

The Tigers then brought in Hiyama for one last at-bat, but he flew out. Fujikawa came in to close the game down. He walked one batter and brought George Arias to the plate. Of course, Tigers fans all remember him, and he is trying to earn a permanent place on the Giants' roster. Well, he represented the winning run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, but struck out.

The Tigers also seem to have found a stable lineup, at least one they like. Akahoshi, Fujimoto, Hamanaka, Kanemoto, Sheets, Toritani, Yano, Sekimoto. They were 5-2 on my trip, so the lineup appears to have some teeth to it.

Games 7 and 8 were rained out at Koshien, but the weather cleared up in time to have one final game before I leave Japan. I really enjoyed seeing these games, and was happy to be able to bring them to you. I definitely will be back to Japan again, maybe in October for the Japan Series if the Tigers make it, but definitely next year. I would be happy to make more recaps then. Although I wonder if "spamming" the News forum is the best way to provide them. Would it make sense to have a separate forum for Game Recaps? It might just encourage others to post theirs. I highly doubt I am the only one attending games.
Comments
Re: Tigers Tour: Game 9
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 20, 2006 10:43 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'd like to add that the game last night took 2 hours and 13 minutes between these two (three) aces. When excellent pitching is on the mound, these games fly by.

I mention this because I turned on the TV after work and couldn't find a game anywhere. TV Asahi had a bunch of interviews with Tigers going on, but no baseball action. J-Sports 2 was playing an old Lotte game due to the regular game being rained out.
Re: Tigers Tour: Game 9
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 20, 2006 12:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

Arias looked totally flummoxed by Fujikawa's pitching (and Fukuhara for that matter). Lee Seong Yeop was very cool in the ninth and was able to earn the walk - he left a ball that many would have swung at.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.