Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Bullpen Performs Purification Ritual

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Bullpen Performs Purification Ritual
This from SanSpo today.
Behind Fujikawa's dramatic return [on August 27] was a "sacrifice," a MLB-style purification ritual.

"We've angered the baseball gods, so now we have to perform a ritual to placate them." So said Jeff Williams to his fellows in the bullpen the previous night after an abject defeat [0-10 at the hands of the Giants].

Relief pitchers, bullpen coach Yasuo Yoshida, bullpen catcher Daiki Katayama, and even interpreter Kazutoshi(?) Wakisaka had personal items like undershirts and socks taken from them to be burned on a ceremonial bonfire as the men offered a prayer before practice the following day.

It worked, and the baseball gods smiled on the Tigers once again.
I demand to know why no-one thought of this earlier!
Comments
Re: Hanshin Bullpen Performs Purification Ritual
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Aug 29, 2006 3:14 PM | HT Fan ]

That ritual might have been even more effective if a few of the under-performing Tigers happened to be wearing those articles of clothing as they were torched. But I'll be tasteful enough not to offer any names.

On a more positive note, I wonder if some of the dedicated torakichis here have suggestions for improvement next season - it would be nice to start a thread discussing the Tigers' possibilities and prospects for 2007, position by position. Starting with manager!
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Aug 29, 2006 7:34 PM | HT Fan ]

Sorry, my first pick for 2007 is Okada-kantoku.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:54 PM | HT Fan ]

Understood, Okada-kantoku has his supporters. I've posted elsewhere my dissatisfactions with him. But I'd be curious to know who else is available, and who might be considered to manage the Tigers should Okada be let go at the end of the season?

[by Moderator: That would be a good new topic under Open Talk.]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.