Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

New York Discovers Kansai

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Today's New York Times (July 4, 2003) has a surprisingly large article -- on the front sports page, no less -- about the Hanshin Tigers' 2003 season, with much discussion of their history and comparison with perennial US bad-luck teams such as the Cubs and Red Sox. It includes photos of Koshien during the fusen release ritual and of Hideki Irabu, former Yankee.

It is the first time I can recall such attention in the paper given to a NPB team. Will the blessed day ever come that we may get the daily Se-riigu and Pa-riigu standings from the U.S. newspapers? One step at a time. Obviously American MLB fans are beginning to pay more serious attention to Japanese baseball.

Yay! Tigers roar!
Comments
Re: New York Discovers Kansai
[ Author: Guest: Angel Lopez | Posted: Jul 6, 2003 8:34 PM ]

Hi, Sara B.

I'm Brooklyn born via Puerto Rico, now residing in Japan temporarily after serving my Country in the U.S. Marine Corps. I'm currently seeking a Baseball contract with any of the NPB teams.

You're definitely correct about the attention. The Hanshin Tigers are running away and will definitely be the champs this year. Their manager is awesome. He reminds me of my H.S Coach. He has intensity and a winning attitude, and is not afraid of letting his players know when they are slacking.

Anyway Sara, it's great to see that I found a New Yorker who is also aware of this site and the potential of NPB. I'll keep in touch with you as to the results of a baseball career.

Take care and God Bless. Your friend Angel. Semper fi.

Playball # 3
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 10, 2003 1:13 AM | HAN Fan ]

I think it was 1988 that the USA Today and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer were psoting weekly standings for NPB. But that practice has since ceased.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Aug 9, 2003 10:30 AM ]

During those strange, ghostly months of the 1994 MLB players' strike, the St. Petersburg Times posted information about NPB, including descriptions of that year's Nippon Series games.
Looking for Hanshin Fans in NYC
[ Author: Guest: SHO | Posted: Aug 14, 2003 3:48 AM ]

Hello all,

My name is Sho, Osaka born TV director working in NY. At this time, I am looking for fans of the Hanshin Tigers in New York City. If you are crazy about the Tigers, or if you know anybody who is making a fan club for the Tigers in the NYC area, please let me know.

In case your mail does not go through (seacanoe at qd6 dot so-net dot ne dot jp), please try to send to dondongadon at hotmail dot com.

Thank you.
Sho
[ Author: Guest: Danny | Posted: Aug 22, 2003 4:01 PM ]

I'm from New York City, too. I just came from there on a vacation. I couldn't beleive that the Tigers made it on the paper. I love the Tigers, they are the greatest team in Japan, regardless of them not winning the championship for almost 19 years.

I live in Iwakuni, now. If anybody in the Iwakuni or Hiroshima area loves baseball as much as I do, pleae feel free to email me.
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Aug 24, 2003 6:00 PM | FSH Fan ]

While I can't agree with you that Hanshin is the best Japanese Yakyu team of all time, I can, without any hesitation, say that they might possibly have the best fans in all of baseball.
California, too
[ Author: Big Kahuna | Posted: Aug 25, 2003 2:42 PM ]

Just a comment that California has also discovered Kansai. I'm a loyal California Angels' fan who had the pleasure of watching Game 7 in person last year. Unfortunately, the Angels are going from World Champs to Cellar Dwellers.

I was in Japan for two weeks in June and saw the Hanshin Tigers while in Osaka. My father grew up in the Kansai area and I have relatives in Osaka and Kobe, so my family has adopted the Hanshin Tigers as "our" team in Japan. We saw the Tigers beat the Hiroshima Carp at the Osaka Dome. Had a great time! The chanting, flag waving, drum beating, and ballons was really quite an experience. GO HANSHIN TIGERS!

I hope the Tigers win the Japan Series - The magic number is 18.
Re: California, too
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Aug 26, 2003 3:48 AM ]

Gee, most people root for the Anaheim Angels, now.

[ Author: Guest: Willie | Posted: Sep 14, 2003 11:39 PM ]

I just returned from Japan and saw a game between the Hanshin Tigers and Yokahama BayStars. Though the Tigers lost, the Tiger fans were the most unbelievable I ever witnessed in a non-playoff game. And releasing those balloons in the 7th was amazing.

Hopefully, they show the same fervor when they are not winning, but because they are in first there may be a lot of jumping on the bandwagon.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Sep 16, 2003 2:46 PM ]

- Hopefully, they show the same fervor when they are not winning.

Actually, yes. Yes, they do.
[ Author: Guest: Angel Lopez | Posted: Aug 25, 2003 8:05 PM ]

Danny,

I reside in Iwakuni. Give me a call 31-8484.

Angel
Playball #3
My Tigers Won!
[ Author: Guest: Danny | Posted: Sep 15, 2003 8:11 PM ]

Did you see it? Next stop is the Hawks. Easy Series - 4-1.
Re: My Tigers Won!
[ Author: Guest: Playball | Posted: Sep 16, 2003 7:36 PM ]

Danny,

Awesome Tigers! Congrats.

By the way this Saturday, 0900, 20 September, I'll be holding tryouts at the Monzen Field, in preparation for next year. I'll be sending an e-mail today. Pass the word. See you Saturday.

Playball #3
Re: My Tigers Won!
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Sep 17, 2003 3:43 PM | FSH Fan ]

Easy? Easy? Give the Hawks more credit than that, please. I hope your "Tigers" lose, and every time you eat tonkatsu ramen, you think about that statement.

GO Hawks GO!!! =)
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Sep 17, 2003 5:12 AM ]

American baseball fans always had some interest in NPB. Every once in a while U.S.A. players would come back to the Majors reborn and be much improved. Hitters used to talk about the junk balls thrown by NPB pitchers which, in the long run, improved their batting skills.

NPB is high minor league baseball. The culture of NPB is like the NFL, CFL, and arena football. It's like the NBA and European basketball. It's like NHL and European hockey.

The native players from Japan have surely raised some more eyebrows this year in the Majors, especially if you play for two of the best franchises with attendance, TV, and radio coverage.

The poor example of native players was "The Toad." He projected the opposite image of what NPB was about - hard work, loyalty to the team and the fans.

Forget my team, the BoSox, were looking at Matsui, also, just after the season ended last year. And I don't think it cost Dan Duquette his job.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.