Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bay Signs Gaillard, Breaks Losing Streak

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Bay Signs Gaillard, Breaks Losing Streak
Chunichi had released Eddie Gaillard on waivers about a week ago, and since then, a number of teams have been thinking hard about signing him. The last place and struggling BayStars were one of them, but were concerned about his high salary and current 5.09 ERA. However, considering the results of their closers so far, that really isn't that bad. (Rookie Takeharu Katoh has been impressive so far in the role of closer, recently.)

Yamashita-kantoku said that Gaillard, with 112 saves over 3 and a half years, won't get any special treatment and will start off with the SeaRex (Yokohama's farm team). Gaillard said that, if the team is doing well with their closer [Katoh], then he'll be willing to work relief as well.

Gaillard is 2 and 2 with 14 saves in 23 games so far this season, while sporting a 5.09 ERA. He was the top closer in 2000 and 2002 with Chunichi.

While Gaillard wasn't a factor in Tuesday night's game at Koshien (July 29, 2003), Yokohama finally won their second game of the season against the Hanshin Tigers, their first this season at Koshien. Yes, after winning on opening day at Yokohama against the Tigers, Yokohama dropped the next 16 games in a row.

Irabu was knocked out after just two innings of work in the rain at Koshien. Woods took Irabu deep just right of center in the first inning for two runs, then with a runner in, two on, and nobody out, Tamura pulled a home run to left to put the 'Stars up 6-0 after two innings.

The BayStars really made me nervous in the 6th inning when three extra base hits cut the lead in half really quickly. Then in the 8th inning, Imaoka led off with a high pop fly that landed in the middle of Manei (3B), Woods (1B), Aikawa (C), and Fukumori (P). It was ruled a base hit to the catcher. Aaaaaa, I thought, here we go again. Yamashita-kantoku, though, wasted no time in getting Fukumori out of there and Takeshita in. Katoh was brought in after Takeshita gave up a two-out base hit, and closed the game for his second consecutive save in as many chances. Whew!

While there's some talk about "bad boys" in sport going on in another thread, Hanshin fans showed a reason why they have a reputation for, um, shall we say, not being very sportsman-like. Running full speed to catch the winning ball in foul territory in left, Tamura caught the ball in his glove and a plastic bat in his eye. He kept a hold of the ball to end the game, but was none too happy about the pelting he got while making the play.

Hot tempered Hoshino-kantoku was none too pleased, either. After having set out half the game last Sunday due to high blood pressure (he called the game from the training room while getting a massage), many in the press fear that Hoshino-kantoku's health may be in jeopordy with this latest act of poor sportsmanship by the fans. He went on to say that if the fans at Koshien can't behave, then he won't bring celebrations to Koshien. He, the press, and many of the "powers-that-be" are rather upset with a few rotten apples right now.

I'm just glad it wasn't a radio-cassette player that landed on Tamura, like the one Hanshin fans let fly into left field at Tokyo Dome a number of years ago. (Fortunately, that was after the game and the players were off the field.)
Comments
Hooligan Fans
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 31, 2003 2:16 AM | HT Fan ]

- Running full speed to catch the winning ball in foul territory in left, Tamura caught the ball in his glove and a plastic bat in his eye.

Don'cha hate it when people do that? Funnily enough, it's rather rare from Hanshin fans at Koshien, but disappointingly common from Hanshin fans (though I hate to call them that) at other grounds.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, a guy a few seats along from me threw something (might have been a can or something) onto the field as the last play was completed and Hanshin's loss was sealed. The leaders of the oendan (cheer squads) rushed over and began to manhandle him; surrounding fans pulled them off (somehow I suspect the cheerleaders were waiting for someone to do so), but the guy still got a good talking to.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.