Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hawks Win The Pacific League Pennant

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hawks Win The Pacific League Pennant
While the Lions really lost about an hour ago, the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks didn't have to resort to backing into last place as they defeated the Chiba Lotte Marines as Chiba Marine Stadium to take their first championship in three years this evening (September 30, 2003).

I turned the game on in the third inning. Daiei had a 3-0 lead at the time, but not for long. Lotte just kept loading the bases up, and clearing the runners off. When the third inning finally ended, the Marines had turned the game around 3-6.

But two innings later, Minchey ran into the same problem Sugiuchi did, he couldn't get an out. His second baseman and center fielder running into each other to let the ball drop in (I think it was in a glove - but don't know who's) didn't help any. Daiei had given up six runs in the third, but got seven back in the fifth. Daiei took a commanding 10-6 lead.

Daiei continued to keep Lotte in check, and scored a few more run to go into the 9th up 13-6. But Lotte didn't go down easilly. With two outs, they rallied for four runs, coming as close as 13-10. But it wasn't enough as Satoh flew out to straight away center, allowing the Hawks to celebrate with a victory.

Congratulations Fukuoka Daiei Hawks. I do hope your yusho sale lasts until Saturday (when I do my regular grocery shopping at Daiei).
Comments
Correction
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 1, 2003 8:38 AM | YBS Fan ]

With today's Nikkan Sports in front of me, I see that I my memory failed me with the big inning numbers last night. It was the 4th and 6th innings that the Marines and Hawks batted around in, respectively, not the 3rd and 5th.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.