Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hoshino-kantoku Retiring

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hoshino-kantoku Retiring
Hanshin's Hoshino-kantoku is retiring after the Japan Series, citing health troubles. It's no secret that he has high blood pressure, for which his managing style does not help.

Okada is taking over as manager from next year. Okada was part of the 1985 team that won the Japan Series as a second baseman, has managed the Tigers' farm team, and served as first base coach (I think) this season.

This is too bad. Hoshino, like Dusty Baker in Chicago, really changed the attitude of the Tigers from perennial losers to competitive players. I've second guessed many of his on-field decisions, but it's hard to argue with a guy who turned the Tigers around so incredibly. Hope Okada learned a thing or two from him.
Comments
Re: Hoshino-kantoku Retiring
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 18, 2003 12:18 AM | HT Fan ]

Yes, it's a shame that Hoshino won't be managing the Tigers next season.

However, I don't believe it will be disastrous for the club at all, as he's being appointed General Manager, and will no doubt still have a say in the management of the team, including player trades.

I think his greatest contribution has been to instill a winning attitude in his players, and hopefully that won't disappear in such a short space of time.

And Okada is no slouch. The Hanshin farm team has done well over the past few seasons under him, and they've won the Western League three or four times in the past five years if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think it's a matter of Okada learning from Hoshino, but simply continuing to win. He's used to winning, and this could even be the beginning of a golden era for the Tigers.

Tigers fans can be so paranoid sometimes. I'm not worried at all .
Re: Hoshino-kantoku Retiring
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 12:35 AM | HT Fan ]

While the news of Hoshino-kantoku's retirement came as a shock, in a way, it's not surprising. He had health issues throughout the season, and other stuff, too.

With Hoshino being appointed GM, I wonder if the Hanshin organisation will be more team-oriented. Managers have had to struggle to get what they want in recent years (although Hoshino's reign has largely been an exception to that rule). Poor old Nomu-san couldn't get the front office to buy him anyone he wanted.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.