Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2003 Nippon Series Game 1

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2003 Nippon Series Game 1
I'm hosting a play-by-play this evening (October 18, 2003 JST). The game starts in another 10 minutes. Please go here to join the play-by-play, and feel free to comment on the chat board as well.
Comments
Re: 2003 Nippon Series Game 1
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 18, 2003 10:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

Transcript of the play-by-play follows. Thanks niibu_yaa-san for keeping me company. Hope to see more of you tomorrow.

TRANSCRIPT generated on : /18 22:21
CHATROOM : Nippon Series Game 1/Nippon Series Game 1/english//18 18:03
MODERATORS : westbaystars

18:03 : Manager TO ALL - westbaystars
18:04 : westbaystars TO ALL - Welcome to the 2003 Nippon Series Game 1 play-by-play.
18:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - The two teams are lined up on the field now, taking off their hats for the National Anthem.
18:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - The flower ladies have presented the two managers with bouquets, the managers have taken their bows, and the two ...
18:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... teams head back to their respective dugouts to prepare for the start of the game.
18:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - I missed who threw out the serimonial first pitch, but the one bounder was swung on and missed.
18:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh Kazumi takes the mound for Daiei, throws a few more practice ...
18:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... pitches, and Imaoka steps in.
18:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh's first pitch is a strike down the middle, strike one.
18:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - But Imaoka rips Saitoh's third offering up the middle for a base hit. Runner at first, nobody out.
18:22 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi lifted a 1-strike, 2-ball pitch to straight away center, but right at the center fielder. One down.
18:25 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto lifted a fly to left-center, but high enough that the left fielder had plenty of time to get under it.
18:25 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two down.
18:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - With Hiyama at the plate, NHK has a warning at the top of the screen that trains have been stopped in Gifu.
18:28 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hope noone there is trying to get home for the game.
18:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh thought he had Hiyama struck out, but the third base umpire said he didn't swing, and instead takes ball four.
18:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, two down, DH Hirosawa coming up.
18:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - But Hirosawa strikes out swinging to retire the side.
18:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - After half an inning, Hanshin put two runners on, but failed to score.
18:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of first.
18:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shibahara leads off the bottom of the first against Hanshin Ace Igawa.
18:36 : Manager TO ALL - niibu_yaa
18:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - After working the count full, and fouling off a few pitches, including one just foul up the third base line, ...
18:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shibahara watches strike three called. One down.
18:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hey hate....actually i don't....can't find it on any of the radio sources I usually find it on.
18:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - Where are you?
18:39 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - michigan
18:39 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - reffering to Internet radio.
18:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - No, it won't be on the radio there. Or are you on another board?
18:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki becomes Igawa's second strike out victim.
18:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah. Did you check Yahoo Japan Sports?
18:40 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - damn looks like Igawa brought his a game.
18:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - Or TBS?
18:40 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Yeah........they don't have the normal live moduule.
18:41 : westbaystars TO ALL - Next batter popped out. Didn't catch who it was.
18:41 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - didn't check tbs.......but I thought that NHK had rights to this game.
18:41 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - should have been Iguchi that popped out.
18:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - Thanks.
18:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yes, it was Iguchi. Confirmed on Yahoo Sports.
18:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - And I didn't see a listen live link at either TBS or Yahoo. Bummer.
18:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Second
18:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:44 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - me either.....I just checked both.
18:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - The game is on all of the radio stations in the Kanto area.
18:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Alias lifted a ball to the warning track in right, but Shibahara had it easilly. One down.
18:45 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah if I was in the kanto plain I'd be watching it on the teri
18:45 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - well this is almost as good thanks.
18:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kids are still running around, distracting me at times. So I will miss a few plays.
18:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kataoka flew out just right of center for out number two.
18:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yano up to bat.
18:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he grounds out to third, three up, three down.
18:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Second
18:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
18:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Looking around Nippon Hoso, I also don't see a listen live link. http://www.1242.com
18:51 : westbaystars TO ALL - Matsunaka leads off the Hawks' second watching a beautiful curve down the middle for strike three.
18:51 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ok
18:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - Johjima is called out, unable to check his swing on Igawa's third pitch for out number two.
18:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - Graphic on the screen said Johjima only batted in the .220's against lefties this season.
18:55 : westbaystars TO ALL - Valdez takes a walk to first after running the count full for Daiei's first base runner of the evening.
18:55 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - CNN is running a breaking news story about the subway in gifu???
18:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - Zuleta then punches the ball just in front of Akahoshi in center for the Hawks' first base hit, a two out single.
18:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, two down.
18:57 : westbaystars TO ALL - That must be what they flashed on the screen earlier. All I got was that train service was stopped somewhere in Gifu.
18:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Muramatsu grounds the ball up the middle. Akahoshi is up with the ball as Valdez is being waved around third...
18:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - But the throw is up the third base line, and Muramatsu is safe! Daiei takes the lead 1-0.
18:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - I thought the base coach was insane waving him around. Looks like the risk paid off.
19:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, still two down.
19:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah valdez isn't exactly a runner.
19:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Number nine batter Torigoe now at the plate.
19:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he goes down swinging for the third out.
19:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - But Daiei took an early lead, thanks to a two out rally.
19:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - 4 people injured when a trian went past its stop, running into a buffer at the end of the line. (From NHK news.)
19:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Third
19:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:02 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - CNN reported 40?
19:03 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - must have there bad translators on tonight.
19:04 : westbaystars TO ALL - Fujimoto pulled the ball up the first base line, but Matsunaka made a great back-hand grab and took the ball to the ...
19:05 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... bag for out number one. Great play, as that would have been a double at least.
19:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - Imaoka lines his first pitch to right-center, but Muramatsu dashes over to bring the ball in for out number two.
19:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi lifts a ball that lands in between the center fielder, right fielder, and second baseman. Muramatsu's throw ..
19:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... to second is right on target to get Akahoshi sliding, but he's called safe!
19:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - What?
19:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hmmm. Seeing the reply, the umpire might be right, the touch was higher than the first camera angle showed.
19:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two down, runner at second.
19:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Saitoh gets Kanemoto fishing for a ball in the dirt for out number three.
19:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two out bloop double goes for naught.
19:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Third
19:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei starts with the top of their order in Shibahara.
19:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he gets rung up by the third base umpire when he bails out of a high and tight pitch.
19:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - I didn't think that was a swing as much as a defensive move.
19:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki beets out a slow grounder to second, head sliding into first for an infield hit.
19:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah, the ball deflected off of Igawa's glove. That's what slowed it down.
19:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Igawa is holding Kawasaki close, throwing over to first before throwing his first pitch to Igawa.
19:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Another throw to first.
19:16 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki finished third in stolen bases in the Pacific League with 30.
19:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - On a 2-2 pitch, Kawasaki took off, but Iguchi fouled the ball off into the first base side seats.
19:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - Igawa looks nervous, throwing to first yet again (there was another one in there as well).
19:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - And going to the plate, Kawasaki was running back to first. Iguchi lined the ball just in the third base line, fair!
19:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasak gets around to third before the ball is brought back in.
19:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - If only he'd had been running on that, he'd have scored easilly.
19:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - The hit was a double to left, putting runners at second and third with one out.
19:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hanshin brings the infield in.
19:21 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Outs?
19:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - And it's a good thing they did. Kataoka makes a diving grab at a low line drive to his left, then trots over and ...
19:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... touches the third base bag to double up Kawasaki.
19:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - The side is retired.
19:22 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei had a big chance, but didn't come through.
19:23 : westbaystars TO ALL - (That was Matsunaka at bat, by the way.)
19:23 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:23 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Fourth
19:23 : westbaystars TO ALL - Sorry, Top of Fourth
19:24 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hiyama leads off the inning grounding out to Iguchi at second.
19:24 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I see that matsui hideki was one of the few players that actually drank the champagne when the yankees won the pennant.
19:24 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Hirosawas lifts Saitoh's second pitch of the inning to Torigoe just in front of the second base bag.
19:24 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two quick outs.
19:25 : westbaystars TO ALL - I hadn't heard about that. That's probably because they throw beer around here.
19:26 : westbaystars TO ALL - Arias gets Saitoh to work a little bit, drawing a walk on five pitches.
19:26 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Yeah, uit was pretty funny really. I'm not sure if the american journalists caught it.
19:27 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Imagine they probably just let it go with well "he doesn't speak english" well.
19:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh is having trouble finding the strike zone all of a sudden, throwing three straight balls to Kataoka.
19:28 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ouch. Kataoka walks on four pitches.
19:28 : westbaystars TO ALL - Is there a rule saying one can't dring the champagne? Only wear it?
19:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - After a ball to Yano, Johjima trots out to the mound to settle Saitoh down.
19:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - Finally, a strike!
19:30 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Nope, suppose not. I think players being human in the Yankees organization is taboo though.
19:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Yano swings and misses for strike two.
19:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah, ha, ha, ha.
19:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yano delivers a bases clearing triple into the right-center gap!
19:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Arias - home in.
19:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kataoka - home in.
19:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Gyakuten!
19:31 : niibu_yaa TO ALL -
19:31 : niibu_yaa TO ALL -
19:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - Fujimoto drives the ball hard to right, but right at Shibahara for the final out.
19:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - But the Tigers, after two outs on two pitches, get a two out two-run rally to take the lead 2-1.
19:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - (Enough "two"s?)
19:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - Which is is? Happy or sad?
19:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Fourth
19:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:34 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe...yeah....sad....got a little excited and typed wrong.
19:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - I thought you were the one rooting for the Hawks.
19:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - I'm with you.
19:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - strange that Kataoka would get the go ahead run in the FukuOKA dome.
19:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - they share a kanji so why not.
19:35 : westbaystars TO ALL - Johjima, though, leads off the inning with a huge home run into the Hanshin oendan! We're tied.
19:36 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - sweet
19:36 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Daiei have anyone warming up?
19:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - Valdez bounces the ball up the middle for a base hit. The ball took a strange, high bounce as it went through, ...
19:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... clearing the middle infielders.
19:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yea, looks like Igawa isn't so tough the second time around. Oh, yea, Daiei scored their first time around.
19:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - Now, to make matter worse (for Igawa) he brushed Zuleta's elbow on his first pitch to him.
19:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, nobody out.
19:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - Muramatsu lined a come-backer just past Igawa into center field. It's too hard to score the runner this time.
19:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - No out, man-rui.
19:41 : westbaystars TO ALL - Torigoe lifts his first pitch to the warning track in left center.
19:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto runs a long way to take the ball in, but Valdez scores easilly from third, gyaku-gyaku-ten.
19:42 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - should be enough for a home in.....
19:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei now leads 3-2.
19:42 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - you type faster than i.
19:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - I used to type 55 word per minute in college - got work as a legal secretary.
19:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shibahara fouls out for the first out.
19:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Zuleta went to third on the sacrifice fly.
19:43 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I type faster in Japansese. Two years at the Okinawa Buisness school did that.
19:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kana keyboard or romaji henkan? I'm one of only two people in our company who touch types Japanese.
19:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - The Kana keyboard, that is.
19:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki fouls out to Kataoka, and the side is retired.
19:44 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - romaji henkan
19:45 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - kana keyboard is a bit slower.
19:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - But not before Daiei re-takes the lead on Johjima's home run and Torigoe's sacrifice fly.
19:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - I can't do Romaji hankan. When I think in Japanese, I type the kana keyboard. Thinking in English, I touch type ...
19:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... the Romaji keyboard.
19:46 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah...well it's all in what you learn on.\
19:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - My first computer, a NEC PC 8201, didn't have a Kanji ROM. The only Japanese choise was half-pitch kana input.
19:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Fifth
19:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Imaoka leads off flying out to center. One down.
19:48 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I can pump through a 500 character keitai e-mail while driving, no looking better than most.
19:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi, choked up about 5 cm on his bat, grounds out to second for out number two. The ball almost made it through.
19:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - Sugoi. I see high school girls doing that on the train all the time. Don't have an i-mode myself. Prefer a computer.
19:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto, looking like he's put on a few kilograms since I remember him, lines out to center, and the side is ...
19:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... retired in order.
19:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Fifth
19:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
19:50 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah my I-mode was probably the most useful thing I had.
19:51 : westbaystars TO ALL - If I can do database management (heavy data entry) on one, I'd probably get one.
19:51 : westbaystars TO ALL - I'm considering a Linux-based Zaurus.
19:52 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Well Imagine that is probably not that far dow nthe road. "cell phones" in america are complete crap.
19:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - When I have money. Buying a new home has a lot of new expenses.
19:53 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - move to okinawa. it's cheaper.
19:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - Iguchi lifts a high fly to shallow left field, taken in by shortstop Fujimoto for the first out.
19:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - Or Hokkaido.
19:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - But my wife is alergic to snow.
19:54 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I'd be scared of the Monkeys in hokkaido.
19:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - Muramatsu lines a base hit to right-center. He's awful slow to first, almost looking like he's limping.
19:54 : westbaystars TO ALL -
19:55 : westbaystars TO ALL - (Kids keep asking me what I'm laughing about.)
19:56 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ever been to the Fukuoka Dome?
19:56 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - so I take it you teach?
19:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - No. I'd like to someday.
19:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - Just Tokyo Dome, Chiba Marine, Jingu, Yokohama, and Hiroshima Shimin.
19:57 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ok....so why the kids?
19:57 : westbaystars TO ALL - Johjima grounds out to third, Kataoka blocking the ball and only having a play at first.
19:57 : westbaystars TO ALL - Matsunaka moves to second.
19:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Their mother is reading them a story, and they don't find the ball game that funny.
19:58 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - wow.......I've only been to Hiroshima, and the Fukuoka dome...and saw a few preseason games in Okinawa for Chunichi
19:58 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah so your kids.
19:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Valdez grounds the ball through the infield on the left side. Matsunaka holds at third.
19:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yes, my kids. Sorry, I'm typing from home - in Yokohama.
20:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe. Great Curry Museum there.
20:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - Seen pamphlets for it. Haven't been there yet. It's like living in San Diego for five years and never going to the Zoo
20:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - Zuleta flies out to Akahoshi in straight away center, and the side is retire.
20:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - At the end of five complete, Daiei leads 3-2.
20:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Sixth
20:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:03 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - It's not that great....kinda cool to see indojin speak the emporers japanese and be nice to everyone.
20:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hiyama leads off ripping a line drive off of Torigoe's glove just behind the second base bag.
20:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ruled and error.
20:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - Lead off runner is aboard.
20:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - The Indian restraunt we like is one at the Keikyu Hyakuten at Kamiooka station. Just a small curry restraunt.
20:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - The Curry Museum looks like a bit more show than we like.
20:08 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah the small restuarants of japan are were it's at.
20:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hirosawa strikes out swinging on a full count pitch way outside.
20:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hiyama is running on the pitch, and the throw is a little high - and missed by Torigoe!
20:09 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - my favorite place in okinawa for tradtional food was a little hole in the wall with tatami mats older than I.
20:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hiyama is up and sliding into third.
20:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - One out, runner at third.
20:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Those tend to be the best places, it's just a matter of finding them.
20:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Arias hits a high bounder over Kawasaki's head at third.
20:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hiyama jogs into score, and we have a tie ball game again, 3-3.
20:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runner at first, one out.
20:11 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Yup.....or you can just follow the Taxi drivers.
20:12 : westbaystars TO ALL -
20:12 : westbaystars TO ALL - For ramen?
20:13 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe.....never go to Fukuoka for Ramen. It's a myth. For ramen it's better to follow drunks.
20:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Looked like Kataoka took strike three on the outside corner, but it's called ball three.
20:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Then the next pitch missed well outside for ball four.
20:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, one out.
20:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Obana-pitching coach heads to the mound.
20:15 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - better pull saitoh before he goes the way of torigoe.
20:16 : westbaystars TO ALL - No such luck. A few words and a pat on the butt, and Yano steps in to face him.
20:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah, but he grounds the ball to Kawasaki at third, 5-4-3, double play.
20:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - The side is retired.
20:17 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Good that Oh has faith in him i guess.
20:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - But not before Hanshin tied the game 3-3.
20:18 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - just don't put in Knight.
20:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Sixth
20:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hoshino has had enough of Igawa. Or Igawa went over his alotted pitch count.
20:19 : westbaystars TO ALL - Riggan comes in to pitch for the Tigers.
20:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - The first batter he faces is Muramatsu.
20:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he gets Muramatsu to gound out to second for the first out.
20:21 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Riggan? is that american picked up out of college?
20:22 : westbaystars TO ALL - Not sure. I was searching for my paper Player Meikan just for that kind of information.
20:23 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - nope..I was wrong here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/6564/
20:23 : westbaystars TO ALL - Torigoe goes down swinging at a high fastball. Two down.
20:25 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cle/team/cle_player_bio.jsp?club_context=cle&playerid=339492 for a more complete bio.
20:25 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shibahara beats out a high bounder fielded just in front of the second base bag by Imaoka.
20:26 : westbaystars TO ALL - That first link was confusing - he has an Indian's cap on, with the Mets' logo in the background.
20:27 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe...well what can you exspect from sports ill.cnn
20:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Riggan is throwing over to first a lot.
20:27 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - sports ill. should keep to swim suits....and forget about sports.
20:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - And with good reason. Throwing to the plate, Shibahara takes off.
20:28 : westbaystars TO ALL - And steals second as Yano bobbles the ball.
20:28 : westbaystars TO ALL -
20:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he walks Kawasaki.
20:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - Runners at first and second, two down.
20:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Iguchi rips a liner to right. Shibahara kicks third and is home easilly.
20:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei re-takes the lead.
20:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Iguchi went with the outside ball and sent it the other way beautifully.
20:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki went to third on the hit. Iguchi held at first.
20:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Another two-out rally.
20:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - Matsunaka grounds to Imaoka at second, who tosses to Fujimoto for the force, and the side is retired.
20:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - But not before the Hawks take a 4-3 lead on their second two-out rally of the night.
20:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Seventh
20:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
20:33 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hmm.....I bet that impressed all the scouts. (iguchis play that is)
20:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hanshin fans let loose their balloons. Some appeard to go higher than regulations allowed, meaning that the ...
20:34 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... super Koshien balloons were smuggled in.
20:34 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe.......
20:35 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei is selling balloons that don't go as high with the Tigers' logo to allow Hanshin fans to continue with their ...
20:35 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... traditions.
20:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - un....let's throw ramen at them.
20:36 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh is still in the game, and has just delivered his 100th pitch.
20:37 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - wow...if they can keep it up why not have saitoh finish. 100 pitches in the 7th isn't too bad.
20:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he walks #9 hitting Fujimoto.
20:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - All three Hanshin runs so far reached base on walks or an error.
20:37 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - spoke too soon maybe.
20:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - maybe Oh should call the red sox and see what they'd do?
20:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - Don't say that. He's quickly gotten two strikes on Imaoka.
20:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - gomen
20:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - And sure enough, the next pitch was a ball.
20:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - And the next.
20:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - Jinx!
20:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - And the next - full count to Imaoka.
20:41 : westbaystars TO ALL - Oh, now he said 100 pitch. I thought he said kyu-jyu-kyu kyu. Guess it was just kyu-jyu kyu.
20:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - With Fujimoto running, Imaoka grouned the ball under a leaping Fujimoto to second.
20:42 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - the later makes more sense.
20:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - The only play was to first base for the first out.
20:43 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Akahoshi..next right? what position is he playing I forget?
20:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi popped the ball up the left field side, and Kawasaki made a great grab, with his back to the plate and ...
20:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... right at the fense.
20:43 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - dhuh.......Centre.
20:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two down.
20:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Oh, you got it.
20:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto is up next.
20:44 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - forgot they had positions on the Yahoo bb
20:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Saitoh goes no-three to him right away.
20:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ouch. Walks him on four straight pitches.
20:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Oh-kantoku is coming out of the dugout.
20:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - Saitoh is through.
20:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - 106 pitches 3 Ks, 6 BBs.
20:46 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - cool...my ex sent me a picture she took of Jyojima's homer...she took with her keitai.
20:46 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - who's up for pitch?
20:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - Have Yahoo BB in the tab just to the right of this page, my Player Meikan the two tabs on the left - to look up ...
20:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... spellings for the gaijin.
20:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yoshida.
20:47 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe.........having trouble with Kanji?
20:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=514
20:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - I did a few days ago, reading Satoh instead of Saitoh. But it's going from katakana to Zuleta that gets me.
20:49 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - thanks.
20:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - As you can see, Yoshida has a 5.03 ERA for 2003. I got the 2003 stats all entered today.
20:50 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah zuletta get's me as well.......
20:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Also, it's so that I can get at the player's stats, like Yoshida's above pretty quickly.
20:51 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah. why not just use yahoo bb for that?
20:51 : westbaystars TO ALL - The first batter Yoshida faces is Kanemoto.
20:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - No, Hiyama.
20:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Hiyama lines a no-ball, two strike pitch up the middle that just bounces in front of Muramatsu in center.
20:53 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah hiyama
20:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - With two down, Fujimoto scores from second, and the ball game is once again tied.
20:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Yoshida was one point relief as Okamoto is now coming in.
20:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - Again, a Tiger who reached base via walk scores.
20:54 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - like the sound of that.
20:55 : westbaystars TO ALL - Okamoto: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=968
20:55 : westbaystars TO ALL - 4.05 ERA in 54 appearances in 2003.
20:57 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe....I'm forgetting what kind of pitch selection he has.
20:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - I'm not good with telling what pitch is what - except that obvious curve earlier.
20:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Unless the announcers mention a shoot, slider, etc., I can't tell one from the other.
20:58 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - no problem....I'm think I could just fire up the PS2 and check.
20:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - After having no strikes and three balls, Hirosawa goes down swinging for the final out.
20:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - But not before Hanshin tied the score in their half of Lucky Seven.
20:59 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yoshi
21:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Going to the bottom of the seventh, the score is tied 4-4.
21:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Seventh
21:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - you hear anything about Arakaki?
21:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - haven't seen anything about him for awhile in the press.
21:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Now the Daiei half of the stadium lets loose their balloons.
21:01 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - roof open is it?
21:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yes. He was throwing at 2-gun last week and is expected to throw, perhaps in the closer role, in the Series.
21:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - All the scenes I've seen, it's closed.
21:02 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Sweet. I've not gotten an e-mail from him since his injury.
21:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - It's raining here, but Fukuoka is a LONG way away.
21:03 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah.....they usually shut it up for late games anyhow.
21:03 : westbaystars TO ALL - Andoh in to pitch for Hanshin.
21:03 : westbaystars TO ALL - http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1328
21:04 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - thanks...I don't know Hanshin very well.
21:05 : westbaystars TO ALL - He gets Johjima to ground out to second to lead off the inning.
21:05 : westbaystars TO ALL - Andoh has one of those long, drawn out leg kicks with the pause.
21:07 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah...gotcha...yeah I've seen him pitch on tv beffore.
21:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - With Imaoka, Arias, and Hiyama coming together just in foul territory in right, Imaoka pulls in Valdez' fly for the ...
21:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - second out.
21:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - No, it was the other one.
21:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Andoh gets Zuleta to ground out to third. Three up, three down.
21:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - At the end of seven coomplete, the score remains tied 4-4.
21:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Eighth
21:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:09 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe ok.
21:10 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - did yo think more would turn out?...for the jchat?
21:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - I had hoped so. But the previous years I've done this, none turned up the first night. So this is a good start.
21:12 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah....I saw you mentioned that so made sure I showed up.
21:12 : westbaystars TO ALL - People who can watch/listen to it (those in Japan) don't need my write up.
21:12 : westbaystars TO ALL - Those on the other side of the planet are mostly asleep.
21:12 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yup.....
21:12 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - well....actually I imagine some do.
21:13 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - not everyone that lives in japan can speak japanese. I imagine a fair amount of your service men can't.
21:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - Okamoto strikes out Arias looking. Arias thought it was ball four. As did Hoshino-kantoku.
21:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - But it was a good pitch. Right call.
21:14 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe
21:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - True. And there are a few who frequent the site. But watching it on TV can make up for the language barrier.
21:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kataoka bounces a high bounder that is played in front of the second base bag by Torigoe.
21:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - The throw to first just gets him. Two out.
21:16 : westbaystars TO ALL - Most probably just check out the site at work, too.
21:17 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah......finally found Okamoto's card....says his slider is "saiko" and has a decent fork. and an moderate curve.
21:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Okamoto gets Yano swinging for the final out. Not much noise that inning.
21:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - He had Yano fooled on that ball heading well outside.
21:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Eighth
21:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:20 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah...so su-ro must mean slow as in su-ro- ka-bu
21:20 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe.....why was that so hard for me to figure out?
21:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - He, he.
21:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - Have to hear it, rather than read it.
21:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - Muramatsu grounds out to third, one out.
21:22 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah. Sometimes that doesn't help. It took me forever to figure out what the guy calling daiei games was saying when...
21:22 : westbaystars TO ALL - We've just passed the three hour mark, yet it doesn't seem that long.
21:23 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - a long ball didn't quite make it out. Nobi deint?
21:23 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe ends up he's saying "no it ain't"
21:24 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ha, ha, ha.
21:24 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah gone by fast....too bad the american is so slow now.
21:24 : westbaystars TO ALL - My big problem was between foa- bo-ru and fa-ru bo-ru.
21:24 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah that one is hard to hear.
21:25 : westbaystars TO ALL - Torigoe swings through strike three.
21:26 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I like how that is used instead of walk though. Foul Ball fits better for that.
21:26 : westbaystars TO ALL - Announcers are taking about how good Andoh's slider is. I'd say that that's his out pitch.
21:26 : westbaystars TO ALL - And with full count to Shibahara, he doesn't get the call.
21:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yano and Shibahara are all over the place thinking that was strike three.
21:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Looked outside to me.
21:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei gets their first base runner agains Andoh.
21:27 : westbaystars TO ALL - Another two-out rally?
21:28 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - This late in a game why not.
21:29 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Iguchi is due.
21:29 : westbaystars TO ALL - Looks like Andoh likes nibbling at the edges of the plate. Gets some calls, not others.
21:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kaswasaki is up.
21:30 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - and they've got andoh starting off with sliders now.
21:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he strikes out swinging for out number three.
21:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - Didn't happen this time.
21:30 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - he's either scared or really confident.
21:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - At the end of eight, the score remains tied 4-4.
21:30 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Top of Ninth
21:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:31 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hits?
21:31 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei has out hit Hanshin. I'll tell you how many if/when they show the scoreboard.
21:32 : westbaystars TO ALL - I should keep score so that I have this info handy.
21:32 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - thanks.
21:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - Fujimoto leads off against Okamoto.
21:33 : westbaystars TO ALL - Andoh doesn't really look confident or afraid. A bit upset with a couple of calls, but indifferent otherwise.
21:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - IC.......Okamoto must be looking good. This year I've not seen him play much over 2 innings.
21:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - heard him play rather.
21:35 : westbaystars TO ALL - Fujimoto really chokes up on that bat.
21:35 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah he does that in the video game too.
21:36 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - can you tell if a lot of hanshin fans made the trip?
21:36 : westbaystars TO ALL - I guess these video games are getting pretty realistic if you can tell a pitcher's expressions.
21:36 : westbaystars TO ALL - I don't do video games, personally.
21:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - They're making a lot of noise in left.
21:37 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah....not so sure if you can tell there expressions. But they are pretty realistic.
21:37 : westbaystars TO ALL - I don't know how many made a trip as displaced Osakans are everywhere.
21:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - Finally, Fujimoto flies out to center for the first out.
21:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Yeah I can imagine that. Hanshin fans are the best more or less.
21:38 : westbaystars TO ALL - The game seems to have really slowed down.
21:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah it has...but that's the speed of things in this situation.
21:38 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - these*
21:39 : westbaystars TO ALL - Every pitch counts?
21:39 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Sure and so does every swing...or pass on a ptich.
21:39 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - seems like jock straps fit tighter as well.
21:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - He, he, he.
21:40 : westbaystars TO ALL - Imaoka pulls the ball through the gap on the right side of the infield. Hanshin has a base runner.
21:41 : westbaystars TO ALL - He reached out and went the other way with the ball. Just making contact.
21:41 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi looks to "safety bunt." But fouls the pitch off.
21:42 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - god......that's scary when they can do that late in a game
21:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - This times it's a straight sacrifice bunt, and he gets the runner to second.
21:42 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - good idea.
21:42 : westbaystars TO ALL - Well, it was a sacrifice at worst. But he didn't show until the last second.
21:43 : westbaystars TO ALL - Oh-kantoku comes out, and Okamoto is through.
21:43 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - who's next?
21:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shinohara comes out of the dugout to take the mound.
21:44 : westbaystars TO ALL - http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=459
21:45 : westbaystars TO ALL - Back to play. Runner at second, two down, Kanemoto at the plate.
21:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - First pitch is low, ball one.
21:46 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - shinohara was a good choice...he had pretty good numbers.
21:46 : Manager TO ALL - pfg
21:46 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - past year that is.
21:46 : westbaystars TO ALL - Called strike one on the outside corner. Looked like a ball, and Kanemoto said something to the same effect.
21:47 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - well this year wasn't bad either...he doubled up on innings pitched.
21:47 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto lifts the ball up toward the third base on-deck circle.
21:48 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Shinohara has a pretty wicked slider when he is on.
21:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kawasaki and Johjima fight over who's going to get it, and I think it landed in Johjima's catcher's mit.
21:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - Either way, the side is retired.
21:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - So, we go to the bottom of the ninth with the score still tied, 4-4.
21:48 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - Bottom of Ninth
21:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
21:49 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - so we got Iguchi, Matsunaka, and Jyojima to start off the ninth?
21:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - Iguchi, Matsunaka, and Johjima will be the first three batters.
21:49 : westbaystars TO ALL - The heart of the order.
21:50 : niibu_yaa TO ALL -
21:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Iguchi leads off pulling the ball up the third base line.
21:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kataoka grabs the ball just behind the dirt behind the bag, and throws a one bounder to first.
21:50 : westbaystars TO ALL - Out.
21:51 : westbaystars TO ALL - Are you keeping score at home?
21:51 : westbaystars TO ALL -
21:51 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - wow kataoka must have a desent arm......Iguchi isn't exactly slow.
21:51 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - no.....I couldn't find anything to write with.
21:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - The ball got to him fast. Still, he had to get up after diving for the ball.
21:52 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - geeze.....that's pretty impressive.
21:52 : westbaystars TO ALL - Foul ball and the count goes full to Matsunaka.
21:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - Shibahara or Kawasaki would have probably been safe.
21:53 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah.....I can see that easy.
21:53 : Manager TO ALL - pfg
21:53 : westbaystars TO ALL - And the last pitch is called ball four. Hawks put the game winning run on.
21:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - Johjima is swinging for the fenses.
21:54 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - sayonara chance.
21:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - Strike one fouled back.
21:54 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - well...actually everything this inning has been a S.C.
21:54 : westbaystars TO ALL - Next pitch is high and outside, ball one.
21:55 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Any word on who starts tommorow?
21:55 : westbaystars TO ALL - Big swing and miss on an inside pitch, strike two.
21:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - Probable pitchers for the Series were published a few days ago, but I don't recall right now. Bad memory.
21:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - Foul ball, count remains 2 strikes, 1 ball.
21:56 : westbaystars TO ALL - The next pitch is drilled through the right side of the infield, base hit
21:57 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yoshi
21:57 : westbaystars TO ALL - Matsunaka is getting a pinch runner at second base. His legs are now confirmed to not be in the best of shape.

21:57 : westbaystars TO ALL - And he is (was) the winning run.
21:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - I missed who went out there.
21:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah, Ohkoshi.
21:58 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehehe
21:58 : westbaystars TO ALL - Valdez is at the plate. And takes two balls.
21:59 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Osh Kosh b' gosh?
21:59 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - they'll walk him
21:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - That was a good pitch for strike one. Not intensionally.
21:59 : westbaystars TO ALL - Only third base is open, not first.
21:59 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - try to get a dounle play ball.
22:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Right handed pitcher. How is Zuleta against righties?
22:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - oh my bad....yeah then they already have a double play ball working for them.
22:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Ah....I was about to ask you that.
22:00 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Zuletta is a big ? for me.
22:00 : westbaystars TO ALL - Right.
22:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - And Andoh got Valdez swinging at an outside pitch for strike three.
22:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - Two down, runners still at first and second.
22:01 : westbaystars TO ALL - Does his name have two "t"s?
22:02 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I take it Valdez is poor on the bunt.
22:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - I got one from the ShuBe Player Meikan.
22:02 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - no idea....but japanized it doesn't.
22:02 : westbaystars TO ALL - Andoh is going right after Zuleta with two straight strikes.
22:03 : westbaystars TO ALL - Next pitch is low for ball one.
22:03 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah....I figured he'd run after.
22:03 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - smart pitching.
22:03 : westbaystars TO ALL - Low and outside. But Zuleta takes to even the count at 2-2.
22:04 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - I'd go high right for the 4 ptich
22:04 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah..or low outside.
22:04 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hits hit hard!
22:04 : westbaystars TO ALL - Kanemoto and Akahoshi are on the run!
22:04 : westbaystars TO ALL - It clears a diving Akahoshi!
22:05 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe
22:05 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ohkoshi scores from second - sayonara!
22:05 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - brb phone.
22:05 : westbaystars TO ALL - Akahoshi looks like he might have lost a tooth on that dive. But he's up and walking now.
22:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - BRB phone? I don't understand that one.
22:06 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - be right back
22:06 : westbaystars TO ALL - Andoh is hanging his head down in the dugout. He threw well.
22:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah.
22:07 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah, my freind says that akahoshi hit hard.
22:07 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - the rest of the stufff I can't understand.
22:07 : niibu_yaa TO ALL -
22:07 : westbaystars TO ALL - Zuleta is being called out for the Hero of the Game. Right after the Kantoku Interview.
22:08 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe.....I bet they interview him in broken english and he replies in broken english...just like valdez does.
22:08 : westbaystars TO ALL - Oh is being questioned about having Muramatsu and Zuleta start.
22:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - And how well it payed off.
22:09 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - Yeah...he looks the gnius now.
22:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Muramatsu does look like he's having trouble with his knees.
22:09 : westbaystars TO ALL - Yes, he does.
22:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - Now, Zurleta, today's hero.
22:10 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - can't see why they are questioning him on muramatsu though...he has the experience.
22:10 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - ah...the knees.......
22:10 : westbaystars TO ALL - This is a great experience for me. ... I'm so excited. I love it.
22:11 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - well thanks for helping me out here...when I couldn't see it.
22:11 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - or hear it I appriecitate it.
22:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - What were you thinking after hitting the ball?
22:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - It was unbelievable. ... Give credit to team mates for bringing him to home plate. (Sorry, I can't type 55 wpm any ..
22:11 : westbaystars TO ALL - ... more).
22:12 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - god...he hit a 143 straighto
22:12 : westbaystars TO ALL - This is your first trip to the Japan Series, How do you feel?
22:12 : westbaystars TO ALL - Can't explain it. Doing what I like to do, play baseball. This will always be in my heart.
22:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - (These are not direct quotes. I can't type that fast any more.)
22:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
22:13 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - no problem.....are they talking to him in english or spanish?
22:13 : westbaystars TO ALL - Daiei Hawks win Game 1 on a sayonara hit by Zuleta.
22:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - English.
22:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - *** Hanshin Tigers 4 - 5 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks ***
22:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - ***
22:14 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - wow....Zuleta's a big guy,
22:14 : westbaystars TO ALL - He sounded pretty good.
22:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - Much better than Cabrera and a few others I've heard.
22:15 : westbaystars TO ALL - ---
22:15 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - cool, I heard Valdez and he wasn't impressive either.
22:16 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hanshin had 6 hits, Daiei 13.
22:17 : westbaystars TO ALL - The dome is closed, the lights are off, and they're shooting off fireworks at the top.
22:17 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - wow.....big difference.
22:17 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - alright then.....thanks for everything.
22:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - Hanshin did what they did all year, score on their opponents' mistakes, like walks and errors.
22:18 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - hehe......wonder if they will like Zuleta win to the "Boston CUrse" now?
22:18 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - link zuleta's game winner rather.
22:18 : westbaystars TO ALL - I've heard of the Cub curse. Similar?
22:19 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - yeah...Boston let go of Ruth...and haven't won a WS since.
22:20 : niibu_yaa TO ALL - They also let go a Zuleta....so why not add that to it.
22:20 : westbaystars TO ALL - Ah. Sounds good. If only they'd have had Zuleta, ...
22:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - Well, time to get the transcript of this and post it.
22:21 : westbaystars TO ALL - Thanks for showing up.
[ Author: Guest: Cedric | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 10:33 AM ]

This Iguchi sounds interesting. Anyone know if he will be posted?
Posting Iguchi
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 10:38 AM | YBS Fan ]

The possiblity of Iguchi being posted is covered in this thread.

In short, serveral people hope he will be, one thinks he's over-rated.

But neither he nor Daiei will discuss it until after the Nippon Series.
Winged Hawks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 10:34 AM | YBS Fan ]

In the post-game Kantoku Interview, the reporter questioned Oh's decision to play Matsunaka and Zuleta in Game 1. The decision was obviously a wise one as both were key in getting the winning run in. But why was he questioned about the two?

Well, it was obvious that Matsunaka's legs weren't 100%. I'm not sure if they were even 60%. He had a noticable hobble each time he reached base.

But what of Zuleta? He didn't look injured. It turns out that he's playing with a fractured left pinky finger. Not the most vital of limbs, but it can't make making contact while batting feel very good. Well, I guess a sayonara hit might deaden any pain.

There was another Hawk in the starting line-up coming off of an injury, center fielder Muramatsu. His timely single in the second inning was his first hit since August 22 against Lotte. On August 23 Muramatsu fractured his collarbone, pretty much dashing his hopes of playing in the Nippon Series. Muramatsu started rehabilitation on September 18, still unable to lift his right arm over his shoulder. Working out daily, Muramatsu has come all the way back to where he could not only start, but drive in the first run of the game.

Finally, Arakaki, who Shukan Baseball lists as Daiei's "secret weapon," has completed his rehabilitation for his right ancle which, if I understand correctly, had bothered him before his August 2 game which is when it was "officially" injured. After surgery, it wasn't until October 7 that Arakaki took the mound again. That was a long time down, but Arakaki claims to be better than he was before the surgery.

Sitting behind the net last night, and writing a short column for Nikkan Sports, was Kokubo. I'm not sure what he's out with right now. But he's out of this Series.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 3:45 PM ]

Any chance of listing the final box scores of these games? Thanks!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.