Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 5/2

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 5/2
I promised a double header this week with niibu_yaa-san bringing you the Hawks at Osaka (vs. Kintetsu) at 1:00 and me bringing you the Hiroshima at Tokyo Dome (vs. Giants) at 6:00. However, a family emergency has come up, pulling niibu_yaa-san away, effectively cancelling the first game (I don't get GAORA with my cable subscription). I'm sure we all wish niibu_yaa-san well and a speedy return.

I've gotten a request for the Yokohama at Nagoya Dome (vs. Chunichi) game this afternoon at 2:00 (which will be on J-Sports 2, which I do get). With the weather turning cold and cloudy, threatening rain here in Yokohama, I think I'll be inside at that time today watching the game anyway, so the double header is still on.

So, come close to game time(s), click here to join the play-by-play. Hope to see you there.

Games: (times in Japan Standard Time - GMT +09:00)
  1. Yokohama BayStars vs. Chunichi Dragons
    2:00 pm at Nagoya Dome

2. Hiroshima Toyo Carp vs. Yomiuri Giants
    6:00 pm at Tokyo Dome
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 5/2
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 2, 2004 5:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

Game one of today's double header is complete. Following is the transcript (complete with errors and typos). I'll be back after dinner with game two.

From an informal poll of those who joined, it looks like day games are easiest for those on the western coast of the U.S. (staying up late), and evening games are best for those on the eastern coast (getting up early).

TRANSCRIPT generated on: 2004/05/02 17:10
CHATROOM: Game of the Week/BayStars vs. Dragons
MODERATORS: westbaystars

14:07: westbaystars: We've got a double header for you today, starting with the Yokohama BayStars vs. Chunichi Dragons.
14:08: westbaystars: Former Dragon Kadokura will start for the BayStars.
14:08: westbaystars: Staff ace Kawakami will be starting for the Dragons.
14:09: westbaystars: ---
14:09: westbaystars: Top of First
14:09: westbaystars: ---
14:11: westbaystars: Kawakami's first pitch to lead off batter Ishii Takuro is ...
14:12: westbaystars: ... slapped to short. Ibata fields the ball, throws to first, and we have the first out of the afternoon.
14:12: westbaystars: Uchikawa steps in next.
14:14: westbaystars: Uchikawa battles off a 2-2 pitch foul, then strikes out swinging on a pitch outside. Two down.
14:14: westbaystars: That brings up Saeki.
14:16: westbaystars: And he goes down swinging to become Kawakami's second strike out victim of the day.
14:16: westbaystars: After half an inning, the BayStars failed to score.
14:16: westbaystars: ---
14:16: westbaystars: Bottom of Second
14:16: westbaystars: ---
14:18: westbaystars: Ibata will lead off for the Dragons who are looking to take back first place from the 'Stars.
14:18: westbaystars: Kadokura is getting his first start of the season for Yokohama.
14:18: westbaystars: And he gets Ibata to fly out to right on his first pitch. One down.
14:19: westbaystars: Araki comes up next.
14:19: westbaystars: He attempts a safety bunt up the third base line on the second pitch, but it rolls foul.
14:19: westbaystars: Two quick strikes.
14:20: westbaystars: The third pitch is waisted in the dirt outside.
14:20: westbaystars: Oooo. The fourth pitch looked like strike three to me, but was called ball two inside.
14:21: westbaystars: Pitch #5 is lifted to Kinjyoh in right for the second out.
14:22: westbaystars: Tanishige, batting third (because he's so effective against his former team mates?) lines a base hit to left.
14:23: westbaystars: Saeki was playing much more toward center and has a long way to go to get to the ball.
14:23: westbaystars: In the mean time, Tanishige jogs into second with a stand-up double.
14:23: westbaystars: At least nobody was on when Tanishige came up. He's killed us the past couple of years.
14:23: westbaystars: Fukudome comes up next.
14:26: westbaystars: He watches a close ball three to bring the count full.
14:27: westbaystars: The next pitch is swung on and missed, strike three.
14:27: westbaystars: Tanishige hit a two out double, but was stranded at second.
14:27: westbaystars: At the end of one complete, we have no score.
14:27: westbaystars: ---
14:27: westbaystars: Top of Second
14:27: westbaystars: ---
14:28: westbaystars: [Just notice that I missed the title for the bottom of the first.]
14:28: westbaystars: [Please correct.]
14:30: westbaystars: T. Woods leads off for the BayStars. He's hitting .354 with 6 home runs and 20 RBIs. While his home runs may be down,
14:30: westbaystars: he's well up in the other two - a great improvement.
14:30: westbaystars: But he grounds out to second on the first pitch. One out.
14:31: westbaystars: Furuki comes up next.
14:32: westbaystars: He strikes out swinging. Two down.
14:32: westbaystars: Kinjyoh comes up next.
14:33: westbaystars: Kawakami has him fooled, two quick strikes.
14:33: westbaystars: The third pitch is grounded to first, and the side is retired.
14:33: westbaystars: Kawakami came after him.
14:34: westbaystars: The 'Stars are retired in order for the second time in two innings.
14:34: westbaystars: ---
14:34: westbaystars: Bottom of Second
14:34: westbaystars: ---
14:34: basebill: The BayStars are quite a surprise in the early going.
14:35: westbaystars: They are! I'm very surprised.
14:36: basebill: and glad I would think
14:36: westbaystars: Alex starts off the bottom of the second for Chunichi.
14:36: westbaystars: Very glad, yes.
14:36: westbaystars: He lifts the ball to left. Saeki takes a few steps toward the line, then looks up.
14:37: westbaystars: That one is in the stands.
14:37: basebill: I hope they can keep it up but I'm not confident their pitching will keep them in it
14:37: westbaystars: Chunichi strikes first with a lead off home run by Alex, taking the lead 1-0.
14:37: westbaystars: Yokohama's hitting has really started coming together this year, with the pitching.
14:38: westbaystars: Inoue follows grounding back to Kadokura. One out.
14:39: westbaystars: Ohnishi lifts a high fly to the right side of the infield.
14:39: westbaystars: Woods gets under it, and takes the ball in for out number two.
14:40: westbaystars: Third baseman Watanabe comes up next, and takes two quick strikes.
14:40: basebill: woods was a great signing
14:41: westbaystars: He swings and misses at Kadokura's third offering in the dirt, strike three.
14:42: westbaystars: But Chunichi scored first on Alex's lead off home run.
14:42: westbaystars: At the end of two complete, Chunichi leads 1-0.
14:42: westbaystars: ---
14:42: westbaystars: Top of Third
14:42: westbaystars: ---
14:42: westbaystars: Yes, Woods is hitting much better this year. I like his RBI totals better this year than his home run totals last year.
14:43: westbaystars: Murata leads off for Yokohama.
14:43: basebill: does Kinjyoh appear more comfortable hitting lower in the line-up?
14:44: westbaystars: Murata becomes another Kawakami strike out victim for the first out.
14:44: westbaystars: I think it is better for hit to hit lower, releaving him from bunting second.
14:45: westbaystars: Aikawa grounds a one bounder to first. Ohnishi takes the ball to the bag himself, and we have two out.
14:46: westbaystars: Kadokura swings weakly and it's another K for Kawakami.
14:46: westbaystars: Yokohama has been retired in order the first time through the lineup.
14:46: westbaystars: ---
14:46: westbaystars: Bottom of Third
14:46: westbaystars: ---
14:48: basebill: I don't know how long I'll be able to stay with you Michael-san but I want you to know I do appreciate you doing this an
14:48: westbaystars: No problem.
14:48: basebill: d I always read the text
14:48: westbaystars: It's always a pleasure.
14:48: westbaystars: Kawakami leads off the third.
14:49: westbaystars: He doesn't go for the outside third pitch like Kadokura did, two strikes, one ball.
14:50: westbaystars: But he's called out on strike three after fouling one off.
14:50: westbaystars: One out.
14:50: westbaystars: Back up to the top of the order in Inaba.
14:51: westbaystars: He grounds the ball through the left side of the infield, base hit!
14:52: westbaystars: Now we need a double play to keep Tanishige away with a runner on.
14:53: westbaystars: What time is it there?
14:53: basebill: 1:45 am
14:53: westbaystars: I'm trying to get an idea of if day games or nighters are easier.
14:54: westbaystars: Oh, I guess it's not a good time for your time zone.
14:54: westbaystars: California, was it?
14:54: basebill: No, PA
14:55: westbaystars: Araki lifts a fly to center.
14:55: westbaystars: Furuki comes over and we have two down.
14:56: basebill: that would make it 10:45 on the left coast
14:56: westbaystars: Unfortunately, that brings up Tanishige.
14:56: westbaystars: Tanishige hits the 'Stars hard, especilly with runners on.
14:56: westbaystars: Ah, so maybe it's not so bad for the West Coast.
14:58: westbaystars: Kadokura pitches carefully, bringing the count to 2-2.
14:59: westbaystars: Tanishige fouls off a couple of close pitches. He's not going down without a fight.
15:00: westbaystars: Finally, he lifts a pitch deep to the corner in right.
15:00: westbaystars: Kinjyoh comes over and gets the ball just in foul terriroty.
15:00: westbaystars: The side is retired.
15:01: westbaystars: After the end of three, Chunichi continues to lead 1-0.
15:01: westbaystars: ---
15:01: westbaystars: Top of Fourth
15:01: westbaystars: ---
15:04: westbaystars: Ishii becomes the first BayStar base runner with a single to left.
15:04: westbaystars: Uchikawa is squaring to bunt, but I'd rather see him hit.
15:05: westbaystars: Nonetheless, he does lay down a beautiful bunt up the first base side that stops inside the line.
15:05: westbaystars: Tanishige throws to first for the force. One down, runner at second.
15:05: westbaystars: That brings up Saeki who struck out his first at bat.
15:07: westbaystars: Kawakami is in the hole, one strike three balls, for the first time this afternoon.
15:08: westbaystars: The next pitch, over, called strike two. That brings the count full.
15:08: westbaystars: The shobu pitch is grounded back up the middle.
15:09: westbaystars: Ibata fields the ball near the second base bag, throws to first for the force.
15:09: westbaystars: Ishii moves to third on the play.
15:09: westbaystars: Next up is Woods, riding a 10 game hitting streak.
15:10: westbaystars: He hits a low line drive right at Inaba at short.
15:10: westbaystars: He smothers the ball, stands, and fires to first for the out.
15:10: westbaystars: Aw, no hit this time.
15:11: westbaystars: The 'Stars managed to get a runner to third, but no further.
15:11: westbaystars: ---
15:11: westbaystars: Bottom of Fourth
15:11: westbaystars: ---
15:12: westbaystars: Fukudome leads off the bottom half of the fourth for the Dragons.
15:12: westbaystars: And takes strike on down the middle from Kadokura.
15:13: westbaystars: When he finally swings at a 2-2 pitch, he lines the ball off the wall to straight away center.
15:14: westbaystars: And doesn't slow down until he's standing on third base.
15:14: westbaystars: Lead-off triple.
15:14: westbaystars: Next up is Alex, who accounted for the only run in the game so far when he hit a solo shot to left in the second.
15:16: westbaystars: He lifts a fly ball to foul territory on the first base side.
15:17: westbaystars: Aikawa does a great job to make the catch right next to the netting for the first out.
15:17: westbaystars: Inoue steps in.
15:17: westbaystars: He'll be looking for a fly to the outfield at worst.
15:18: westbaystars: He does that, and then some.
15:19: westbaystars: Inoue lines the ball into the right field stands, the ball reaching the third row of stands in no time.
15:19: westbaystars: That puts Chunichi up 3-0.
15:20: westbaystars: The only thing that hasn't changed about Yokohama from the last few years is giving up too many home runs.
15:20: westbaystars: Ohnishi follows with a ground ball to Ishii at short.
15:20: westbaystars: The throw to first is in plenty of time, two down.
15:20: basebill: I've gotta go, thank you Westbay-san for doing this, it's great
15:21: basebill: night, night
15:21: westbaystars: My pleasure. Take care.
15:21: westbaystars: Watanabe comes up for Chunichi.
15:22: westbaystars: Have a good Golden Week!
15:23: westbaystars: After working the count full, Watanabe ground to Murata at third, who fires to first to retire the side.
15:24: westbaystars: But not before Fukudome lead off with a triple and Inoue brought him in with a two run home run.
15:25: westbaystars: At the end of four complete, Chunichi leads 3-0.
15:25: westbaystars: ---
15:25: westbaystars: Top of Fifth
15:25: westbaystars: ---
15:26: westbaystars: Furuki, starting in center this afternoon, grounds to Ohnishi at first who takes the
15:26: westbaystars: ball to the bag himself.
15:26: westbaystars: One out.
15:26: Allen Bacon: Michael - thanks for doing this. The day games are more California friendly with a 10 PM start.
15:27: westbaystars: My pleasure. basebill was on from about 1:30 am.
15:27: westbaystars: Kinjyoh lines a base hit to right to become the second BayStar on base this afternoon.
15:28: westbaystars: That brings up Murata, who struck out his first time at bat.
15:28: Allen Bacon: I need to run an errand but will be back in about 30 minutes.
15:29: westbaystars: I'll still be here.
15:29: westbaystars: See you then.
15:30: westbaystars: Murata lifts a fly ball deep to right.
15:30: westbaystars: But not deep enough.
15:30: westbaystars: Fukudome is over and takes the ball in for out number two.
15:31: westbaystars: Catcher Aikawa comes up next.
15:32: westbaystars: He attempts a safety (?) bunt, but fouls the ball off on the third base side.
15:32: westbaystars: Good thing, too, as it was a high pop-up. Just too foul for anyone to get to.
15:33: westbaystars: After a ball to bring the count to 1-1, Aikawa lays down a bunt right back to Kawakami on the mound.
15:34: westbaystars: Kawakami has an easy play at first, and the side is retired.
15:34: westbaystars: What was that?
15:34: westbaystars: Nonetheless, Yokohama strands their second runner of the afternoon, and still trail 0-3.
15:34: westbaystars: ---
15:34: westbaystars: Bottom of Fifth
15:34: westbaystars: ---
15:35: westbaystars: Kadokura is still on the mound for Yokohama. His pitch count is in the 70's, and I'm guessing that this
15:35: westbaystars: will be his final inning.
15:36: westbaystars: Kadokura's first pitch to opposing pitch Kawakami in high and tight, knocking Kawakami down.
15:36: westbaystars: Not a promising start.
15:37: westbaystars: A couple pitches later, Kawakami hits the ball hard to right, but right to Kinjyoh.
15:37: westbaystars: One out.
15:37: westbaystars: Back to the top of the order in Ibata.
15:38: westbaystars: Ibata lines a hit over the second base bag and to Furuki in center on a few bounces.
15:38: westbaystars: Base hit.
15:39: westbaystars: Araki comes up and looks bunt.
15:39: westbaystars: He takes the pitch, called strike one.
15:39: westbaystars: The next pitch is bunted foul up the third base line.
15:40: westbaystars: The next pitch, in the dirt, is swung on and missed, strike three.
15:40: westbaystars: Ibata is on the run, and Aikawa's throw is on the money!
15:41: westbaystars: Ibata is thrown out at second attempting to steal.
15:41: westbaystars: Strike out, get two!
15:41: westbaystars: Nonetheless, at the end of five complete, Chunichi still leads Yokohama 3-0.
15:42: westbaystars: ---
15:42: westbaystars: Top of Sixth
15:42: westbaystars: ---
15:43: westbaystars: Kawakami has only thrown 55 pitches through the first five innings. A very good pace.
15:44: westbaystars: Suzuki Takanori leads off pinch hitting for Kadokura.
15:44: westbaystars: And he hits Kawakami's 56th pitch of the afternoon through the left side of the infield and into left.
15:44: westbaystars: Base hit.
15:45: westbaystars: Ishii Takuro comes up next. He got the 'Stars' first hit of the afternoon in the fourth.
15:47: westbaystars: He grounds the ball to the right side.
15:47: westbaystars: Araki fields the ball and throws to second for one.
15:47: westbaystars: But there is no relay.
15:47: westbaystars: The runners at first are exchanged.
15:48: westbaystars: That brings up Uchikawa with one out and Ishii on first.
15:49: westbaystars: Ishii is making Kawakami uncomfortable, Kawakami throwing over there once, then stepping off the rubber before
15:49: westbaystars: coming in with a pitch to Uchikawa.
15:51: westbaystars: In the end, though, Uchikawa lifts a fly ball to right, and we have two away.
15:51: westbaystars: It's up to Saeki to keep things going.
15:55: westbaystars: After fouling a number of pitches off, and with Ishii on the run, Saeki swings and misses for strike three.
15:55: westbaystars: That retires the side.
15:55: westbaystars: ---
15:55: westbaystars: Bottom of Sixth
15:55: westbaystars: ---
15:57: westbaystars: Kizuka comes in to pitch for the BayStars in the bottom of the Sixth.
15:58: westbaystars: Tanishige leads off against Kizuka, faking a bunt and taking strike one.
15:59: westbaystars: Tanishige lifts a high, long fly ball to right, but Kinjyoh has him played pretty much perfectly.
15:59: westbaystars: A few strides toward the line, and he takes the ball in for out number one.
16:00: westbaystars: Fukudome, who tripled his last at bat, comes up.
16:01: westbaystars: He grounds to Uchikawa, on the artificial grass at second, who throws to first for the second out.
16:01: westbaystars: Alex, who hit a home run his first at bat, comes up next.
16:02: westbaystars: He hits a come backer that hits the mound, bounces over second base, and into center field.
16:02: westbaystars: Base hit.
16:02: westbaystars: That'll bring up Inoue, who hit the big insurrance two run home run his last at bat.
16:05: westbaystars: He grounds the ball up the middle, but Ishii fields this one and steps on the second base bag for the force.
16:05: westbaystars: That retires the side.
16:05: westbaystars: At the end of six complete, Chunichi continues to lead 3-0.
16:05: westbaystars: ---
16:05: westbaystars: Top of Seventh
16:05: westbaystars: ---
16:07: westbaystars: Woods leads off the BayStars' half of the seventh.
16:08: westbaystars: He takes strike three on the inside part of the plate on a 2-2 pitch. One out.
16:09: westbaystars: That brings up Furuki.
16:11: westbaystars: And he strikes out looking at a beautiful curve ball on the outside corner.
16:11: westbaystars: Two down.
16:11: westbaystars: That brings up Kinjyoh, who is immediately knocked down with a high and tight pitch.
16:13: westbaystars: Kinjyoh lifts a high fly deep to right.
16:13: westbaystars: Going back is Fukudome.
16:13: westbaystars: He pulls the ball in over his shoulder at the warning track.
16:13: westbaystars: And the BayStars are retired in order yet again.
16:14: westbaystars: ---
16:14: westbaystars: Bottom of Seventh
16:14: westbaystars: ---
16:15: westbaystars: With over 40,000 fans at Nagoya Dome on the Golden Week Sunday afternoon, we go to the Dragons' Lucky Seven.
16:15: westbaystars: Ohnish leads off against Kizuka.
16:16: westbaystars: He hits a long foul ball up the right side, missing a home run by a few meters.
16:17: westbaystars: Then goes down swinging weakly, completely fooled by a pitch. One out.
16:17: westbaystars: Number eight batter Watanabe stands in.
16:18: westbaystars: And he grounds a 1-1 pitch to Uchikawa at second, who easilly throws him out at first. Two quick outs.
16:18: westbaystars: That'll bring up Kawakami.
16:18: westbaystars: The long drive to right earlier didn't look too bad.
16:19: westbaystars: Although it was just a long out.
16:19: westbaystars: This time, though, he's down on strikes on three pitches.
16:19: westbaystars: Chunichi is retired in order. I don't think that's happened too often this evening.
16:20: westbaystars: Nonetheless, at the end of seven complete, Chunichi continues to lead 3-0.
16:20: westbaystars: ---
16:20: westbaystars: Top of Eighth
16:20: westbaystars: ---
16:20: Allen Bacon: Michael, what is Golden Week?
16:21: westbaystars: Kawakami has throrwn 83 pitches, throwing as many as three balls to just one batter so far, not giving up a walk.
16:22: westbaystars: Golden Week is the series of holidays from April 29 (Green Day - former Emporor's birthday)
16:22: westbaystars: through May 5 (Childrens's Day).
16:22: westbaystars: The 3rd and 4th are also holidays, although I don't recall what they are off hand.
16:23: westbaystars: Murata leads off, becoming the second batter to take three balls (and a strike) from Kawakami before
16:23: westbaystars: ripping a base hit up the middle.
16:24: westbaystars: Lead-off runner is on.
16:24: westbaystars: Aikawa comes up next.
16:24: westbaystars: He's swinging away this time, fouling off the first pitch.
16:25: westbaystars: I still don't understand why he was bunting with two outs last time up.
16:26: westbaystars: He goes down singing at a curve ball. One out.
16:27: westbaystars: Manei comes up to pinch hit for Kizuka.
16:27: westbaystars: He lifts a high fly ball up to the left side of the infield.
16:28: westbaystars: Former Giant, Kawai, in at third, calls the ball, waits it out, and takes it in for the second out.
16:28: westbaystars: Back up to the top of the order in Ishii.
16:28: Allen Bacon: I don't understand the bunt either - but maybe they were just trying to get something going against Kawakami
16:29: westbaystars: The first time he tried, it looked like he was trying to surprise them.
16:29: westbaystars: But not the second.
16:29: westbaystars: It was strange.
16:30: Allen Bacon: Is Ishii any relation to the LA Dodger pitcher?
16:31: westbaystars: Ishii lines the ball right at Watanabe, now at first, who catches is centemeters above the ground.
16:31: westbaystars: That retires the side.
16:31: westbaystars: No, no relation. Ishii is a very popular last name, like Suzuki, Watanabe, and others.
16:32: westbaystars: Just take a look through the player meikan https://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/index.jsp for an idea.
16:32: westbaystars: ---
16:32: westbaystars: Bottom of Eighth
16:32: westbaystars: ---
16:33: westbaystars: Ibata leads off for Chunichi and will face Yoshikawa in to pitch for Yokohama.
16:34: westbaystars: Ishikawa comes right after Ibata, striking him out on three pitches, the third just getting the outside corner.
16:34: westbaystars: Umpires often give that to the batters with two strikes and no balls.
16:34: westbaystars: Glad to see him get the call.
16:35: westbaystars: Araki doesn't wait and grounds the ball the other way through the right side of the infield.
16:35: westbaystars: One out base runner with Tanishige coming up.
16:35: westbaystars: Well, we've managed to keep Tanishige from causing damage so far.
16:36: westbaystars: But on the first pitch, Araki steals second, giving Tanishige a runner in scoring position.
16:36: westbaystars: Not what we want with this 'Star killer.
16:37: westbaystars: Whew, Tanishige grounds the ball to Ishii at short.
16:37: westbaystars: Ishii looks the runner back, and throws his former team mate out.
16:37: westbaystars: Two down, runner at second.
16:39: westbaystars: Fukudome comes up.
16:40: westbaystars: And he walks on five pitches. That puts runners at first and second with two down and Alex coming up.
16:41: westbaystars: I'm not sure if this i sn't worse than Tanishige coming up with a runner in scoring position.
16:41: westbaystars: Alex swings at the first pitch, ground the ball right to Ishii at short,
16:42: westbaystars: Ishii tosses to Uchikawa covering the second base bag, and the side is retired.
16:42: westbaystars: Whew.
16:42: westbaystars: At the end of eight complete, Chunichi continues to lead 3-0.
16:42: westbaystars: ---
16:42: westbaystars: Top of Ninth
16:42: westbaystars: ---
16:43: westbaystars: Kawakami continues on the mound, looking for a shutout.
16:43: westbaystars: He's thrown 99 pitches so far, striking out 9 and giving up no walks.
16:43: westbaystars: He'll face Uchikawa to start.
16:44: westbaystars: Naturally, Uchikawa is trying to get something started to get at least three runs across.
16:45: westbaystars: A ground out to Kawai at third isn't the way to start from Uchikawa's point of view.
16:46: westbaystars: But that's what he did, and Kawakami is two outs away from a kanpu (shutout).
16:46: westbaystars: Saeki comes up next.
16:47: westbaystars: And he slaps a 2-2 pitch through the other way into left field.
16:47: westbaystars: That keeps the BayStars' chances alive.
16:48: westbaystars: Woods steps up to the plate next.
16:48: westbaystars: And he ripps Kawakami's first offering to left-center for a base hit.
16:49: westbaystars: That'll bring out Chunichi's pitching coach, Suzuki.
16:49: westbaystars: After a very brief meeting, he goes back and Furuki steps up.
16:50: westbaystars: I think I'd rather see Kohno here, but perhaps Yamashita-kantoku is saving him.
16:50: Allen Bacon: I bet you have your rally cap on, eh Michael?
16:50: westbaystars: Although, unless Furuki gets the ball out of the infield, I don't know what he'd be saving him for.
16:50: westbaystars: Ah! I forgot my hat in the other room!
16:50: westbaystars: That's why we're losing.
16:51: westbaystars:
16:51: westbaystars: Furuki works the count even at 2-2.
16:51: Allen Bacon: That's ok I turned mine inside out for you.
16:52: westbaystars: Ah, thanks.
16:52: westbaystars: The next pitch is fouled up the first base line.
16:53: westbaystars: He takes the next pitch, called ball three.
16:53: westbaystars: Kawakami is visibally upset at the call, just missing outside.
16:53: westbaystars: Full count.
16:53: westbaystars: And Kawakami hasn't walked a batter yet this game.
16:53: westbaystars: The pitch.
16:53: westbaystars: Ball, inside!
16:53: westbaystars: That loads the bases with one out.
16:54: westbaystars: And Ochiai comes out of the first base dugout.
16:54: westbaystars: He asks about the 2-2 pitch from the umpire.
16:55: westbaystars: Ochiai takes the ball, and Kawakami retires from the mound after 118 pitches, 9 strike outs, and 1 walk.
16:56: westbaystars: That will bring in Ochiai Eiji (no relation to the manager).
16:57: westbaystars: That gives me time to fetch my Taiyo Whales' hat.
16:57: westbaystars: Let's see if that helps.
16:58: westbaystars: Hidenori comes into left for Inoue with a double switch in the batting order (most likely).
16:58: westbaystars: Ochiai's first pitch is over for strike one.
16:59: westbaystars: Kinjyoh fouls the next pitch fielded just right of the first base bag.
16:59: westbaystars: Two quick strikes on Kinjyoh.
16:59: westbaystars: Kinjyoh grounds the next pitch past the first baseman and into right field!
17:00: westbaystars: The runner from third scores! Yokohama is on the board.
17:00: westbaystars: Woods holds at third, and the bases remain loaded with one out.
17:00: westbaystars: That brings up Murata.
17:00: westbaystars: Ochiai's first pitch is fouled off the third base side.
17:01: westbaystars: He takes ball one low out away.
17:01: westbaystars: The next pitch is lifted to shallow left-center.
17:02: westbaystars: It's ruled an infield fly as Araki makes the catch just on the green.
17:02: westbaystars: Two down, bases loaded, Yokohama still down by two.
17:02: westbaystars: Taneda comes in to pinch hit for catcher Aikawa.
17:02: westbaystars: He takes inside, the ball almost hitting his right foot.
17:03: westbaystars: The next pitch is grounded right at Kawai at third.
17:03: westbaystars: Kawai races the ball to third for the force.
17:03: westbaystars: And the game is over.
17:04: westbaystars: Chunichi takes first place back from the BayStars who held the spot for two days.
17:04: westbaystars: ***
17:04: westbaystars: Game Final
17:04: westbaystars: Chunichi 3 - 1 Yokohama
17:04: westbaystars: ***
17:05: Allen Bacon: Sorry about your Baystars, Michael. We'll get'em next time
17:05: westbaystars: The season is still youngh.
17:05: Allen Bacon: Kawakami pitched a great game, though
17:06: westbaystars: He did. And he's standing on the soap box for the hero interview.
17:06: westbaystars: He had kanpu (shutout) in his mind that last inning, but it didn't happen.
17:06: Allen Bacon: And what an exciting ninth inning. I thought we had 'em
17:07: westbaystars: It was looking like it. Just one more hit.
17:08: Allen Bacon: Thank you very much for transcribing the game. It was a lot of fun.
17:08: Allen Bacon: Are you still planning to do the 6:00 game?
17:08: westbaystars: It was another good game. I like these (even if my team loses) better than blow outs.
17:09: westbaystars: Yep. I'll be back in an hour after having dinner.
17:09: westbaystars: I need to post this, then get ready for the next one.
17:09: westbaystars: I guess it's easier for the East Coasterners to get up for it.
17:10: Allen Bacon: Thanks again. I will try to join in for a little bit in the second game
17:10: westbaystars: See you then, then.
17:10: westbaystars: Good night.
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 5/2
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 2, 2004 10:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

Wow! This was the real Game of the Week. An incredible pitching duo, spactacular plays, memorial milestones reached. This game had it all.

TRANSCRIPT generated on: 2004/05/02 22:15
CHATROOM: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week/Hiroshima vs. Yomiuri
MODERATORS: westbaystars

18:07: westbaystars: Welcome to game two of today's Games of the Week.
18:08: westbaystars: This evening (JST) we have the Giants playing host to the Hiroshima Carp.
18:08: westbaystars: Hayashi will start for the Giants.
18:09: westbaystars: ---
18:09: westbaystars: Top of First
18:09: westbaystars: ---
18:09: westbaystars: Ogata leads off for Hiroshima, and swings and misses for strike one.
18:10: westbaystars: Abe looks hurt. It looks like that was a foul tip, and the ball hit his right shoulder.
18:11: westbaystars: A little cold spray, Abe moves his arm, takes a ball from Hayashi and throws it back.
18:11: westbaystars: He looks OK.
18:11: westbaystars: Hayashi misses with his next three deliveries.
18:12: westbaystars: The fifth pitch is fouled back, and we have full count.
18:13: westbaystars: The next pitch, a change-up, is grouned to short. The throw to first is in time, and the first out of the
18:13: westbaystars: evening is recorded.
18:13: westbaystars: Shima, aka Aka-Godzilla, comes up next.
18:14: westbaystars: Shima held over a .400 batting average for the first month of the season.
18:14: westbaystars: But he flies out to Nishi going back in shallow left-center for out number two.
18:14: westbaystars: That brings up LaRocca.
18:15: westbaystars: He grounds the ball left of the second base bag, and past the reaching shortstop into left-center.
18:15: westbaystars: Base hit.
18:16: westbaystars: That brings up Sheets. Sheets' 22 RBIs is currently third in the Central League.
18:16: westbaystars: Sheets lifts a high fly behind the second base bag.
18:16: westbaystars: Nishi moves over, and takes the ball in for the third out.
18:17: westbaystars: Hiroshima got a base hit, but stranded one.
18:17: westbaystars: ---
18:17: westbaystars: Bottom of First
18:17: westbaystars: ---
18:18: westbaystars: Bale makes his second start since arriving in Japan for Hiroshima.
18:18: westbaystars: Nishi leads off against him with a double to the right-center gap.
18:19: westbaystars: And this marks his 1,000th base hit, for which he recieves a bouque of flowers at second base.
18:19: westbaystars: Nishi is the 21st Giant to reach the 1,000 hit mark.
18:20: westbaystars: After having the flowers sent back to the dugout, Shimizu steps in.
18:20: westbaystars: Shimizu has 5 more hits to reach the 1,000 hit mark.
18:21: westbaystars: But it remains just as far away as he grounds out to second.
18:21: westbaystars: Nishi moves to third on the play at first.
18:21: westbaystars: One down, runner at third, and Rhodes coming up to the plate.
18:22: westbaystars: Rhodes can deliver a sacrifice fly, but he'll also be looking for his memorial 300th home run.
18:22: westbaystars: He has just one to go.
18:23: westbaystars: But he's called out on strikes.
18:24: westbaystars: He disagrees with the call, but the side throw looked like it might have gotten the inside part of the plate.
18:24: westbaystars: Two down.
18:24: westbaystars: The first pitch to Takahashi hits him in his elbow pad.
18:24: westbaystars: He looks like that hurt. It sure did make a bad sound.
18:25: westbaystars: Kiyohara, though, grounds to short on the first pitch. The shouvel to second gets the force, and the side is retired.
18:25: westbaystars: We got to witness Nishi's 1,000th hit, but he was stranded at third.
18:26: westbaystars: At the end of one complete, the game remains scoreless.
18:26: westbaystars: ---
18:26: westbaystars: Top of Second
18:26: westbaystars: ---
18:27: westbaystars: Maeda leads off the second against Hayashi.
18:27: westbaystars: Maeda is five hits away from 1,500 career hits.
18:30: westbaystars: Maeda works the count to full.
18:31: westbaystars: One thing I notice is that Hayashi is not hitting Abe's mit.
18:32: westbaystars: Abe motions for him to throw low, and he thows waist high.
18:32: westbaystars: After a few foul balls, Maeda lifts a fly ball to Rhodes in center, and we finally have one away.
18:32: westbaystars: Hayashi also works very slow.
18:32: westbaystars: Kurihara steps in next.
18:33: westbaystars: He hits the ball the other way to right.
18:33: westbaystars: Takahashi runs in, but he won't get it. The ball bounces in in front of Takahashi,
18:34: westbaystars: and Takahashi jumps to catch the ball to prevent it from going past him.
18:34: westbaystars: One out base hit.
18:34: westbaystars: Nomura swings at Hayashi's first offering, lifting it to shallow right field.
18:34: westbaystars: Nishi comes over and takes the ball in for out number two.
18:35: westbaystars: Ishihara comes up.
18:36: westbaystars: In Nichi-Bei college competition, Ishihara beat out Abe for the catcher position.
18:36: westbaystars: A ball in the dirt that bounces off of Abe's chest protecter doesn't get far enough away to move the runner.
18:37: westbaystars: It brings the count to one strike, three balls.
18:37: westbaystars: Abe sets up low and away, and Hayashi throws inside at the knees for strike two.
18:37: westbaystars: The next pitch is grounded up the middle, base hit!
18:38: westbaystars: Kurihara kicks second as the ball goes by it and heads into third standing up.
18:38: westbaystars: Runners at first and third two outs.
18:38: westbaystars: That brings up pitcher Bale.
18:39: westbaystars: He's way back away from the plate in the batter's box.
18:39: westbaystars: He won't reach anything on the outside part of the plate.
18:40: westbaystars: Well, it looks like he's inching closer to the plate with each pitch.
18:41: westbaystars: He takes outside, and Hayashi has another full count. Why?
18:41: westbaystars: Hayashi's 40th pitch of the evening is high and outside, but swung on and missed, strike three.
18:42: westbaystars: Hiroshima strands runners at the corners.
18:42: westbaystars: ---
18:42: westbaystars: Bottom of Second
18:42: westbaystars: --
18:43: westbaystars: There are a lot of kids at the game this evening as families go out for the holidays.
18:43: westbaystars: Happy Golden Week, all.
18:44: westbaystars: Etoh comes up to bat.
18:44: westbaystars: And he's in the hole to Bale two strikes, no balls real quick.
18:45: westbaystars: Bale comes right at him, getting Etoh to swing and miss a ball in the upper strike zone for the out.
18:45: westbaystars: That's how to pitch, Hayashi! Learn.
18:45: westbaystars: Abe, with 17 home runs on the early season so far, comes up.
18:46: westbaystars: And he's walked on four pitches. (Hayashi, ignore that.)
18:46: westbaystars: Kuroda takes the sign from the third base coach and steps in.
18:46: westbaystars: He's not showing bunt and takes ball one.
18:48: westbaystars: After striking Etoh out on three pitches, Bale threw six straight balls before getting a call strike one.
18:48: westbaystars: The next pitch catches the inside corner, evening the count at 2-2.
18:48: westbaystars: And the next pitch is called strike three.
18:49: westbaystars: Kuroda doesn't agree, but it was a very good pitch.
18:49: westbaystars: Kuroda finally leaves, and Hayashi steps in.
18:50: westbaystars: Hayashi steps right up to the plate, unlike Bale. But he swings and misses an outside change up and
18:50: westbaystars: is quickly down on strikes.
18:51: westbaystars: Bale walked one, but otherwise struck out the side.
18:51: westbaystars: ---
18:51: westbaystars: Top of Third
18:51: westbaystars: ---
18:52: westbaystars: Hiroshima starts off at the top of their order in Ogata.
18:53: westbaystars: He lifts a high fly to shallow center. Kuroda, Nishi, and Rhodes gather.
18:53: westbaystars: Rhodes calls them all off and makes the catch. One down.
18:53: westbaystars: That brings up Aka-Godzilla, Shima.
18:54: westbaystars: But he grounds Hayashi's first pitch to second, two quick outs.
18:54: westbaystars: LoRocca comes up next.
18:55: westbaystars: And he's up there swinging, fouling off the first pitch, missing the second.
18:55: westbaystars: Third pitch is, predictably, way outside for ball one.
18:56: westbaystars: Hayashi comes back into the strike zone for his fourth pitch, which is lifted to deep right.
18:56: westbaystars: But Takahashi has no trouble getting under it and taking the ball in for the third out.
18:56: westbaystars: Hiroshima goes down in order in the third.
18:56: westbaystars: We still have a scoreless game.
18:56: westbaystars: ---
18:56: westbaystars: Bottom of Third
18:56: westbaystars: ---
18:57: westbaystars: Nishi, who hit his 1,000th home run on Bale's first pitch of the game, steps in.
18:58: westbaystars: Sorry, 1,000th career hit - not home run.
19:00: westbaystars: This time, though, Bale gets Nishi swinging at a side arm pitch down the middle.
19:00: westbaystars: That's Bale's 5th K of the evening.
19:00: westbaystars: Shimizu grouds the ball to third.
19:00: westbaystars: Nomura's throw is off line!
19:01: westbaystars: But Kurihara fields the ball and tags Shimizu on the head for the out.
19:01: westbaystars: Ouch.
19:01: westbaystars: That brings up Rhodes.
19:02: westbaystars: But Bale doesn't challenge Rhodes, walking him on five pitches.
19:03: westbaystars: That's Bale's third walk (including plunking Takahashi) of the evening.
19:03: westbaystars: Speaking of Takahashi, Yoshinobu steps.
19:04: westbaystars: He lifts a high foul ball in front of the third base dugout.
19:04: westbaystars: Ishihara wonders forward and back, then takes the ball in for the third out.
19:04: westbaystars: After three complete innings. the game remains scoreless.
19:04: westbaystars: ---
19:04: westbaystars: Top of Fourth
19:05: westbaystars: ---
19:06: westbaystars: Sheets leads off the fourth for Hiroshima.
19:07: westbaystars: And he goes down singing. One out.
19:07: westbaystars: That'll bring up Maeda.
19:09: westbaystars: Hayashi gets Maeda crossed up, swinging big and losing his balance on strike two.
19:09: westbaystars: But Maeda comes right back and lines a come-backer back to Hayashi on the next pitch.
19:10: westbaystars: Hayashi sticks out his glove, the ball hits the tip, and goes on through just left of center.
19:10: westbaystars: Hiroshima has a one out base runner on.
19:10: westbaystars: Kurihara comes up next.
19:12: westbaystars: The next pitch is off the plate, but swung on and missed.
19:13: westbaystars: The ball gets away from Abe, but with first base occupied, Kurihara cannot break for it.
19:13: westbaystars: The strike out makes it two out with a runner on first.
19:13: westbaystars: There we go, now Hayashi gets two quick strikes on Nomura.
19:14: westbaystars: Aw, but then wastes a pitch inside. Come one, san kyu shobu shiyo!
19:15: westbaystars: Nomura has 131 hits remaining to reach 2,000 career hits. Not realistic this evening, but perhaps this season.
19:16: westbaystars: That'll put Nomura in the Mei-Kyukai.
19:17: westbaystars: Alas, Hayashi fails to go after the batter and the count is worked full.
19:17: westbaystars: Too many full counts!
19:17: westbaystars: But it works for Hayashi as he gets Nomura swinging and missing for the final out.
19:17: westbaystars: ---
19:17: westbaystars: Bottom of Fourth
19:17: westbaystars: ---
19:19: westbaystars: Kiyohara is back, and steps up to lead off the Giants' half of the fourth.
19:21: westbaystars: But he goes down swinging for the first out.
19:21: westbaystars: That'll bring up Etoh.
19:21: westbaystars: And he lifts Bale's first offering to straight away center.
19:22: westbaystars: Ogata comes in and takes the ball in for out number two.
19:22: westbaystars: Abe is swinging for the fense on Bale's first offering to him.
19:22: westbaystars: But he misses the ball completely.
19:23: westbaystars: A fould ball and another swing and miss (with an outside ball in there), and Abe goes down on strikes.
19:23: westbaystars: Bale gets the Giants quickly in order in the fourth.
19:24: westbaystars: After four complete, the game remains scoreless.
19:24: westbaystars: ---
19:24: westbaystars: Top of Fifth
19:24: westbaystars: ---
19:25: westbaystars: Ishihara leads off the fifth inning.
19:26: westbaystars: He hand cuffs a ball to second. Nishi is up with it and just throws Ishihara out as he hustles up the line.
19:26: westbaystars: That brings up Bale, who stands way back away from the plate.
19:27: westbaystars: And he watches strike three go by, going down on four pitches.
19:28: westbaystars: Two outs.
19:28: westbaystars: That brings us back to the top of the Carp order in Ogata.
19:28: westbaystars: Ogata wiggles his hips like the hoola as he gets ready to bat.
19:29: westbaystars: Hayashi's 83rd pitch is lifted high to right.
19:30: westbaystars: Takahashi comes in a bit, takes the ball in, and the Carp are retired in order.
19:30: westbaystars: I'd start warming up another pitcher if I were Horiuchi-kantoku.
19:31: westbaystars: I figure Hayashi has one to two innings left.
19:31: westbaystars: ---
19:31: westbaystars: Bottom of Fifth
19:31: westbaystars: ---
19:32: westbaystars: Kuroda leads off.
19:34: westbaystars: And he works the count full. Bale almost got Kuroda to go after a couple of pitches, but he held up.
19:34: westbaystars: The shobu pitch, though, is swung on and missed, strike three.
19:35: westbaystars: That brings up opposing pitcher Hayashi.
19:36: westbaystars: And Hayashi goes down looking at Bale's 63rd pitch of the evening to become strike out victim #9.
19:36: westbaystars: Back up to the top of the order in Nishi with two down and nobody on.
19:37: westbaystars: Bale gets two strikes on Nishi really quick.
19:37: westbaystars: The third pitch is just outside, ball one.
19:37: westbaystars: His fourth pitch to Nishi, though, is a beautiful side arm thrown that cuts through the heart of the plate.
19:38: westbaystars: Nishi watches it go by and becomes K #10 for Bale.
19:38: westbaystars: Giants go down in order, we still have no score.
19:38: westbaystars: ---
19:38: westbaystars: Top of Sixth
19:38: westbaystars: ---
19:40: westbaystars: Shima leads off the sixth inning.
19:41: westbaystars: He pops out to Etoh in the third base coache's box for the first out.
19:41: westbaystars: That brings up LaRocca.
19:42: westbaystars: He breaks his bat while fouling off a pitch to bring the count even at 2-2.
19:43: westbaystars: The next pitch, a one bounder to Abe's chest, is taken, the count goes full yet again.
19:43: MHStevie: All right... I made it...
19:44: westbaystars: Hayashi's 92nd pitch of the evening is fouled off.
19:44: westbaystars: Ah, the radio guy?
19:44: MHStevie: That's me... thanks again for doing this...
19:44: westbaystars: The next pitch is lifted to deep right-center.
19:44: westbaystars: Rhodes and Takahashi come over.
19:45: westbaystars: Takahashi takes the ball in at the warning track. Two outs.
19:45: westbaystars: My pleasure. You're in Colorado?
19:45: westbaystars: Sheets comes up next.
19:47: westbaystars: And he takes strike three on the inside corner.
19:47: westbaystars: Hayashi didn't wait to drive the count full this time.
19:47: westbaystars: And Hiroshima is down in order yet again.
19:47: MHStevie: Nope... in New York...
19:47: westbaystars: Oh, different radio guy I was thinking of.
19:47: westbaystars: OK.
19:47: MHStevie: Seems like quite the pitchers' duel going on...
19:48: westbaystars: It is, but Bale is pitching better. At least, he's thrown about 30 pitches less.
19:48: westbaystars: ---
19:48: westbaystars: Bottom of Sixth
19:48: westbaystars: ---
19:49: westbaystars: Number two hitting Shimizu leads off the Giants' half of the sixth.
19:49: westbaystars: And takes strike one.
19:49: westbaystars: Shimizu is 5 hits away from 1,000 in his career, 7 home runs away from 100.
19:50: westbaystars: Bale's 72nd pitch of the evening is a weak grounder to the left of the pitcher's mound.
19:50: westbaystars: Sheets bare hands the ball and throws to first.
19:50: westbaystars: But it's not in time. Shimizu has an infield hit.
19:50: westbaystars: The Giants' lead off runner is on.
19:51: westbaystars: That brings up Rhodes who is one home run shy of 300.
19:51: westbaystars: And fans gathering in the upper decks in right in hopes of getting it.
19:52: westbaystars: This is Rhodes' career 1106th game. Oh hit his 300th in his 1126th game.
19:53: westbaystars: He lifts a 2-2 pitch high and deep to left.
19:53: westbaystars: But too high and not deep enough.
19:54: westbaystars: Maeda has the ball gaged just in front of the warning track and takes it in.
19:54: westbaystars: One out.
19:54: MHStevie: Close, but not quite...
19:54: westbaystars: That brings Takahashi Yoshinobu to the plate.
19:55: westbaystars: It carried farther than I thought it would by the angle off the bat.
19:55: westbaystars: Takahashi lifts the ball to shallow left field.
19:55: westbaystars: LaRocca goes back and calls off the other to fielders for the out.
19:56: westbaystars: That brings up fan favorite Kiyohara.
19:56: westbaystars: He lines Bale's first pitch deep to left-center.
19:56: westbaystars: Going, going,
19:56: westbaystars: gone!
19:56: westbaystars: Kiyohara's third home run of the season.
19:56: MHStevie: Haitta!
19:56: westbaystars: It's a two-run shot to break the scoreless tie.
19:57: westbaystars: The Giants take the lead, 2-0.
19:57: westbaystars: Kiyo still has it.
19:58: westbaystars: Etoh comes up next and goes down swinging on four pitches.
19:58: westbaystars: But not before the Giants broke the game open with Kiyohara's two run home run.
19:58: westbaystars: At the end of six complete, the Giants now lead 2-0.
19:59: westbaystars: ---
19:59: westbaystars: Top of Seventh
19:59: westbaystars: ---
20:00: westbaystars: Maeda leads off the seventh by getting hit in the right elbow.
20:01: westbaystars: He gave Hayashi a nasty look, then walked up the first base line.
20:02: westbaystars: After some cold spray, on the way up to first, Maeda shakes it off and is ready to run.
20:02: westbaystars: Kurihara comes up next.
20:04: MHStevie: When you have a moment...
20:04: MHStevie: Since I missed the beginning of the game...
20:04: westbaystars: Oh, Kiyohara's home run extended the Giants' home run hitting streak to 25 games, surpassing the
20:04: westbaystars: previous Central League record by 3.
20:04: MHStevie: What was the best scoring chance before Kiyohara's HR?
20:04: MHStevie: For either team...
20:05: westbaystars: Kurihara goes deep to straight away center.
20:05: westbaystars: Rhodes runs back at the fense.
20:05: westbaystars: Haittaaaaaa.
20:05: westbaystars: Home run.
20:05: westbaystars: That cuts the Giants' lead in half, 2-1.
20:05: westbaystars: Hayashi throws his hat down on the mound.
20:06: MHStevie: What about Maeda at 1st?
20:07: westbaystars: Nomura flies out to left.
20:07: westbaystars: Oh, yea. You're right. It is 2-2.
20:07: westbaystars: Ishihara comes up to bat.
20:08: westbaystars: Back in the first the Giants got a runner as far as third.
20:08: westbaystars: Nishi leds off the inning with a double, his 1,000th career hit.
20:08: westbaystars: But was stranded at third.
20:08: westbaystars: That was the only real chance for either team.
20:09: westbaystars: Ishihara lines a base hit to the right-center gap.
20:09: westbaystars: Takahashi does a great job to get the ball on one hop before hit reaches the fense.
20:09: westbaystars: Takahashi turn, fires the ball in.
20:09: westbaystars: But Ishihara slides in safe before the throw at second.
20:10: westbaystars: That was Hayashi's 111th pitch.
20:10: westbaystars: He should be relieved.
20:10: westbaystars: But Horiuchi-kantoku likes leaving him in too long.
20:10: westbaystars: Bale is up batting for himself.
20:12: westbaystars: Hayashi is still wasting pitches, running the count even 2-2 to the opposing pitcher.
20:12: westbaystars: Just throw a strike!
20:12: westbaystars: He does, and Bale grounds out to short.
20:13: westbaystars: After Kuroda looked the second base runner back.
20:13: westbaystars: Back to the top of the order in Ogata, with a runner at second and two outs.
20:14: westbaystars: Hayashi has really slowed down, throwing two balls and attempting a pick off at second.
20:15: westbaystars: His third pitch to Ogata is swung on and missed, strike one.
20:15: westbaystars: Next pitch is swung on and missed, the count is even, 2-2.
20:16: westbaystars: And a 141 kph fast ball on the outside corner is swung on and missed, strike three.
20:16: westbaystars: Hayashi gets out of the jam. But not before Kurihara ties the game on a two run line drive to center.
20:17: westbaystars: Going to the bottom of the seventh, the score is once again tied, 2-2.
20:17: westbaystars: ---
20:17: westbaystars: Bottom of Seventh
20:17: westbaystars: ---
20:18: westbaystars: Abe leads off the Giants' Lucky Seven, taking strike one.
20:19: westbaystars: Abe was the big hero last night with a sayohara home run, his 17th of the season.
20:20: westbaystars: Abe leads the league in batting average at .385, home runs at 17, and RBIs at 19.
20:20: westbaystars: He takes a walk here on Bale's 90th pitch of the night.
20:20: westbaystars: The Giants have their lead off runner on.
20:20: westbaystars: Only 19 RBIs with 17 home runs? Is that right?
20:21: westbaystars: No, he has 37. That's better.
20:22: westbaystars: Bale throws 2 straight balls to Kuroda before getting the call on the outside corner.
20:22: MHStevie: I just reported on Abe's sayonara blast last night...
20:23: westbaystars: The next pitch is in the dirt. One strike, three balls.
20:23: westbaystars: Abe is unreal.
20:24: westbaystars: Kuroda takes strike two, full count. Both Kuroda and the announcers thought it was ball four.
20:24: MHStevie: Was there any thought before the season he'd be at 17 HR by May 1st?
20:24: westbaystars: No way. The #4 batters that the Giants raided from all the other teams were supposed to do that.
20:25: westbaystars: Bale gets Kuroda to foul out between first and home.
20:25: westbaystars: one out.
20:25: westbaystars: They got Rhodes from Kintetsu and Kokubo from Daiei this past off season.
20:25: westbaystars: Kiyohara from Seibu, Petagine from Yakult, etc.
20:26: westbaystars: Hayashi is batting for himself, showing just how bad Horiuchi-kantoku is as a manager.
20:27: westbaystars: Hayashi has thrown enough. The last time he was asked to pitch too long he blew a lead in the 8th or 9th
20:27: westbaystars: (don't recall for sure which inning).
20:27: westbaystars: But he does lay down a very good sacrifice bunt up the first base side.
20:28: westbaystars: Runner now at second, two down.
20:28: westbaystars: Kitabeppu-pitching coach goes out to talk to Bale, with an interpretter.
20:28: westbaystars: And Yamamoto-kantoku comes out of the dugout. Is he changing him?
20:29: westbaystars: No.
20:29: westbaystars: Bale's 100th pitch of the evening is called a ball low to Nishi.
20:29: MHStevie: I know Rhodes & Kokubo came this past off-season...
20:29: westbaystars: The next pitch is grounded through the left side.
20:30: MHStevie: When did Kiyohara & Petagine come over?
20:30: westbaystars: The third base coach is waving the runner as Maeda comes up with the ball.
20:30: MHStevie: I'm a new fan, so I just thought of those two as Giants...
20:30: westbaystars: It's not even close at the plate!
20:30: westbaystars: The runner is touched out and the side is retired.
20:32: westbaystars: ---
20:32: westbaystars: Top of Eighth
20:32: westbaystars: ---
20:32: westbaystars: Sure enough, Hayashi is still pitching.
20:33: westbaystars: And Shima drills a 2-2 pitch through the left side.
20:33: westbaystars: Base hit.
20:33: westbaystars: Once again, the lead-off runner is aboard.
20:34: westbaystars: That puts Shima over Abe in batting average at .391.
20:34: westbaystars: Shima was over .400 at the end of April.
20:35: westbaystars: LaRocca comes up next.
20:35: westbaystars: Petagine came over last season from Yakult, Kiyohara in 1996 or 7.
20:36: westbaystars: LaRocca is hit by the pitch and runs up to first.
20:36: westbaystars: That brings Ikegaya-pitching coach to the mound.
20:36: westbaystars: Etoh was from Hiroshima somewhere around 2000.
20:37: westbaystars: Hiroshima puts in a pinch runner at second. He's the go-ahead runner.
20:37: MHStevie: Shima's another surprise for this year, right?
20:37: westbaystars: Sheets comes up to the plate.
20:37: westbaystars: Yes, very much.
20:38: westbaystars: I don't recall much mention of Shima in the press until his amazing April.
20:38: westbaystars: Sheets lays down a nice bunt up the first base side.
20:39: westbaystars: Hayashi was breaking for the third base side when seeing him squre.
20:39: westbaystars: But Abe played the ball and his only play was at first.
20:39: MHStevie: Have they announced April's MVPs yet? Is that something done?
20:39: westbaystars: The sacrifice puts runners at second and third with one out.
20:40: westbaystars: Hayashi looks beat. Why isn't anyone coming out to replace him?
20:40: MHStevie: I saw that happen in my NPB videogame, so I'm not sure that's a real-life practice... =)
20:40: westbaystars: It will be done, but I haven't noticed it yet.
20:41: MHStevie: OK... I'll have to keep my eyes open...
20:41: westbaystars: I'm thinking Shima and Nippon Ham's ...
20:41: westbaystars: Maeda lifts the ball to right field.
20:42: westbaystars: The ball falls just in front of Takahashi!
20:42: westbaystars: The pinch runner Okagami, scores from third. The Carp take the lead.
20:43: westbaystars: The Giants have both barrels in the bull pen up and running now.
20:43: westbaystars: Too late, of course.
20:43: westbaystars: Kurihara, who hit the game tying home run earlier, steps up.
20:44: westbaystars: Hayashi's 135th pitch is swung on and missed, the count goes to 1-1.
20:45: westbaystars: ... Nippon Ham's Seguignol (I think).
20:45: westbaystars: Seguignol also batted over .400 for the month.
20:46: westbaystars: Kurihara, a couple pitches later, grounds to Nishi at second.
20:46: westbaystars: Nishi touches the runner going by, throws to first, and gets the double play.
20:46: westbaystars: That retires the side.
20:47: westbaystars: But not before Maeda drives in the go-ahead run, giving Hiroshima a 3-2 lead.
20:47: westbaystars: ---
20:47: westbaystars: Bottom of Eighth
20:47: westbaystars: ---
20:48: westbaystars: The biggest competition Shima has for MVP for the month is Abe, who hit 15 or 16 homers.
20:48: westbaystars: And was pretty close in batting average.
20:48: MHStevie: That's what I was thinking... but does it usually go to highest average?
20:48: westbaystars: Bale is still on the mound for Hiroshima, and faces Shimizu to lead off.
20:49: westbaystars: No, home runs are generally weighted higher.
20:49: MHStevie: So it could be a close race for CL honors then...
20:49: westbaystars: But this was the first time in a lot of years for such an occurrance.
20:49: westbaystars: Breaking records also weighs in pretty heavilly.
20:50: westbaystars: In the mean time, Shimizu grounded out to short.
20:50: westbaystars: Rhodes comes up.
20:51: westbaystars: And while I'm listening to the hanabi (fireworks) going on at the neighboring
20:51: westbaystars: Hakkei-jima Sea Paradise park, Rhodes hits his 300th hanabi in Japan.
20:52: westbaystars: No doubt about it from the moment it left the bat.
20:52: westbaystars: We have a tied ball game.
20:52: MHStevie: Haitta!
20:52: westbaystars: Takahashi gets the crowd excited going deep to center.
20:52: westbaystars: But it's not far enough.
20:52: westbaystars: Long out.
20:53: westbaystars: Rhodes hit one of the billboards in right, a big bonus will be coming his way from the advertiser.
20:53: westbaystars: Kiyohara, who homered to start the scoring, comes up.
20:54: westbaystars: And Bale throws three straight balls to him.
20:54: westbaystars: Before getting a call strike one on the outside corner.
20:54: westbaystars: Kiyohara is 3 for 26 this season with 2 home runs.
20:55: westbaystars: And he draws a walk on the next pitch here.
20:55: westbaystars: Kitabeppu comes out with the interpretter, and Yamamoto-kantoku goes to talk to the umpire.
20:55: westbaystars: Bale is out of there a couple batters too late.
20:56: MHStevie: Wow, basically homers or bust for Kiyohara this season...
20:56: westbaystars: He calmly takes a seat on the bench to watch how thing go.
20:56: westbaystars: Sawazaki comes in to put out the fire.
20:56: westbaystars: Yep. But then, that's what he's there for.
20:57: westbaystars: And the fans love him.
20:58: westbaystars: We're back to the action, and Sawazaki's first pitch is taken down the middle by Etoh. Strike one.
20:58: westbaystars: Etoh was Hiroshima's premire #4 batter through most of the 1990's.
20:59: westbaystars: But he lines the next pitch to short, and the side is retired.
20:59: westbaystars: But not before Rhodes launches his 300th career home run to tie this game up at 3-3.
20:59: westbaystars: ---
20:59: westbaystars: Top of Ninth
20:59: westbaystars: ---
21:02: westbaystars: Sikorski comes in to pitch for the Giants.
21:02: westbaystars: Finally, a relief pitcher. And inning too late.
21:02: westbaystars: He gets Nomura to gound to Kiyohara at first.
21:03: westbaystars: Kiyo tosses to a dashing Sikorski, who carries the ball to the bag for the first out.
21:03: westbaystars: That looked good. Well coriographed.
21:03: westbaystars: Ishihara up next.
21:04: westbaystars: Ishihara attemps a bunt on a 1-1 pitch, but misses the ball for strike two.
21:04: westbaystars: Next pitch is outside, ball two, 2-2.
21:05: westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is slapped weakly to the left side.
21:05: westbaystars: Etoh fields the ball, but doesn't bother to try a throw against the speedy backstop.
21:06: westbaystars: That a moudasho (three hits or more) for Ishihara.
21:06: westbaystars: Asai comes up to pinch hit.
21:07: westbaystars: Asai has 5 career pinch hit home runs.
21:08: westbaystars: But he does well shooting the ball back through the left side for a base hit.
21:08: westbaystars: The ball gets out to Shimizu in left quicly, so the lead runner holds at second base.
21:09: westbaystars: Runners now at first and second with one out.
21:09: westbaystars: The first pitch to Ogata is check swung, the first base umpire confirming.
21:09: westbaystars: The next pitch is fouled off the right side and out of play. 1-1.
21:10: westbaystars: Sikorski's third pitch is grounded back up the middle.
21:10: westbaystars: That looks like a hit for sure, but...
21:10: westbaystars: Kuroda makes a diving grab, tosses the ball to Nishi directly from his glove,
21:11: westbaystars: Nishi turns and fires to first - in time!
21:11: westbaystars: Inning ending double play.
21:11: westbaystars: And a spactactular one at that.
21:11: MHStevie: Wow!
21:11: westbaystars: Kuroda just saved a very big run as Ishihara would have scored had that gone through.
21:11: MHStevie: Nice play, Kuroda!
21:12: westbaystars: ---
21:12: westbaystars: Bottom of Ninth
21:12: westbaystars: ---
21:12: westbaystars: Abe has a batting helmet on. Will he do it again this evening?
21:12: MHStevie: Another close game in this series!
21:13: westbaystars: Wow is right! They just showed the play a couple more times. This is the highlight play of the game.
21:13: westbaystars: To lead off is last night's hero, Abe.
21:15: westbaystars: Last night, in the bottom of the 11th, Abe came up with one one and one out and hit a huge home run to right to win it.
21:15: westbaystars: Amano is in to pitch for Hiroshima.
21:16: westbaystars: Abe fouls off a 2-2 pitch and loses his bat. Count remains 2-2.
21:16: westbaystars: Another foul ball, this time keeping the bat in his hands.
21:17: westbaystars: Abe goes deep to left, but foul and out of play.
21:17: westbaystars: Not quite deep enough for a sayonara.
21:18: westbaystars: The seventh pitch from Amano is lined into right field, one bound to Morikasa, now in right.
21:18: westbaystars: Kuroda comes up next. And he immediately squres to bunt.
21:18: westbaystars: But the throw is to first.
21:19: westbaystars: The pitch with Kuroda squred, is taken inside.
21:20: westbaystars: The next pitch is lifted up to the pitcher.
21:20: westbaystars: Amano fakes catching it, lets it fall, throws to first.
21:20: westbaystars: Nobody knows what to do.
21:20: westbaystars: I think they touched the bag, then got Abe in a pickle.
21:21: westbaystars: Abe is touched out.
21:21: westbaystars: But the umpire says that Kuroda is safe at first.
21:21: westbaystars: Yamamoto-kantoku is arguing it.
21:22: westbaystars: And the replay shows the force at first before the runner reached and while Abe was on his way to second.
21:22: westbaystars: Umpire miss.
21:22: westbaystars: Yamamoto is still arguing the play, but the umpire looks pretty sure about the order of things and is explaining it.
21:23: westbaystars: Meanwhile, Petagine has a bat and is ready for duty.
21:24: westbaystars: I'm glad to see the umpire crew have confidence in their call. But they missed this one.
21:24: westbaystars: Yamamoto-kantoku finally gives up and heads back to the dugout.
21:24: MHStevie: Sounds like it...
21:24: westbaystars: That brings up Peta-chan.
21:25: westbaystars: He takes low for abalal one.
21:25: westbaystars: That is, ball one.
21:25: westbaystars: The next pitch is low and away, ball two.
21:25: westbaystars: Peta-chan is one home run away from 200.
21:26: westbaystars: He hits one hard, but foul and out of play on the left side.
21:26: westbaystars: The next pitch is high and away, ball three.
21:27: westbaystars: Foul ball, full count.
21:28: westbaystars: The next pitch is fouled back, count remains full.
21:28: westbaystars: A throw to first to keep Kuroda close. The throw wasn't close.
21:29: westbaystars: The next pitch is fouled off the left side again.
21:29: westbaystars: The next pitch is taken for strike three.
21:30: westbaystars: And Kuroda is on the run to second.
21:30: westbaystars: The throw gets past covering Sheets and into center field!
21:30: westbaystars: Kuroda pops up and heads for third standing.
21:31: westbaystars: Out count went up to two, but the runner went around to third.
21:31: westbaystars: That brings up Nishi.
21:31: westbaystars: Nishi is never an easy out.
21:31: westbaystars: He's so feisty.
21:32: MHStevie: This game could be decided in the field...
21:32: westbaystars: But Amano gets two quick strikes on him, Nishi fouling the balls out of play.
21:32: westbaystars: The next pitch, looks good, but is called ball one high.
21:33: MHStevie: Good play for Yomiuri, bad play for Hiroshima...
21:33: westbaystars: Yea, Kuroda's great save and Ishihara's bad throw.
21:33: westbaystars: But that won't be the case as Nishi lifts a high fly ball to left.
21:33: westbaystars: Maeda is over, takes it in, and we go to extra innings.
21:34: MHStevie: But only if Nishi can get Kuroda home... which he doesn't.
21:34: westbaystars: We go to the 10 inning with the game knotted at 3-3.
21:34: westbaystars: ---
21:34: westbaystars: Top of Tenth
21:34: westbaystars: ---
21:34: MHStevie: Extra innings again, and the first game of this series decided by one run... close series...
21:35: westbaystars: Okajima comes in to pitch for the Giants.
21:35: westbaystars: He hasn't exactly been that solid this season.
21:36: westbaystars: So anything can still happen.
21:36: westbaystars: Essentially, he's one of the reasons that Horiuchi-kantoku leaves his starting pitchers in too long.
21:37: westbaystars: Kimura leads off pinch hitting for Amano.
21:37: westbaystars: Wait, is that right?
21:38: westbaystars: I lost track of the order.
21:39: westbaystars: Nonetheless, he flies out to left-center for the first out.
21:40: MHtrStevie: Sorry... lost connection for a second...
21:40: westbaystars: LaRocca comes up next, so it was Kawakami (who came in at left after pinch running) that he batted for.
21:41: westbaystars: LaRocca works the count to one strike, three balls.
21:41: westbaystars: And he takes a very strike looking pitch for ball four.
21:41: westbaystars: Low?
21:41: westbaystars: The Giants' battery disagreed.
21:42: westbaystars: But Sheets comes up next nonetheless.
21:42: westbaystars: He takes ball one.
21:42: westbaystars: If Okajima can't find the strike zone, which has been a problem in the past, ...
21:43: westbaystars: Sheets takes high, ball two.
21:43: westbaystars: A throw to first has LaRocca back standing up.
21:44: westbaystars: The next pitch is fouled off to the right side and out of play.
21:44: westbaystars: Fouled off again, that brings the count even at 2-2.
21:45: westbaystars: The next pitch is grounded to what should be through the left side.
21:45: westbaystars: But again, Kuroda makes a diving catch to keep the ball from going through.
21:45: westbaystars: What's more, he throws the runner out at second!
21:45: westbaystars: Incredible!
21:46: westbaystars: The relay to first is way too late, but Kuroda just saved putting runners at the corners.
21:46: westbaystars: And got an out to boot.
21:47: MHtrStevie: Despite all the power hitting, Kuroda's making a bid for star of this game...
21:47: westbaystars: Morikasa comes up next.
21:47: westbaystars: Very much so. Kuroda's defense has been critical.
21:47: MHtrStevie: Greetings, habs!
21:48: westbaystars: We're in the top of the 10th, Hiroshima runner at first, two down.
21:48: westbaystars: The count to Morikasa is now 2-2.
21:49: habs: greetings still trying to figure difference in time
21:49: westbaystars: Okajima throws over to first for no apparent reason.
21:49: westbaystars: It's almost 9:40 PM JST.
21:50: westbaystars: The next pitch is inside, full count.
21:50: MHtrStevie: 8:40 AM EDT here in New York...
21:50: westbaystars: A curve ball is called high, ball four.
21:50: westbaystars: That puts runners at first and second, two outs.
21:51: westbaystars: Kurihara comes up next. He hit a game tying home run earlier.
21:52: westbaystars: He takes, strike one.
21:52: westbaystars: The next pitch is in the dirt, ball one.
21:53: westbaystars: The next pitch is lined over Kuroda's head. That's the only place he won't get it, it looks like.
21:53: westbaystars: The runner at second kicks third and heads home!
21:53: westbaystars: Hiroshima takes the lead, 4-3.
21:53: habs: why a curve ball on a 3-2 count
21:53: westbaystars: Kurihara looks to be the hero of the game for Hiroshima, despite Kuroda's heroics.
21:54: westbaystars: Good question. Perhaps he thought it would be a strike. It was very close, and from this angle, could have been
21:54: westbaystars: called either way.
21:55: westbaystars: Okajima falls behind Nomura one strike, two balls.
21:55: westbaystars: Runners are at the corner, two down.
21:55: westbaystars: The next pitch, and the home plate umpire says Nomura failed to check his swing.
21:55: westbaystars: Count is even, 2-2.
21:56: westbaystars: The next pitch, a curve, just missing the outside corner. Full count.
21:56: westbaystars: Okajima's 30th pitch of the inning is grounded to Kuroda at short.
21:57: westbaystars: This one is too easy for him, and he throws Nomura out to retire the side.
21:57: westbaystars: But not before Hiroshima took the lead back on Kurihara's base hit to left.
21:57: westbaystars: Going to the bottom of the 10th, Hiroshima leads once again, 4-3.
21:57: westbaystars: ---
21:57: westbaystars: Bottom of Tenth
21:57: westbaystars: ---
21:58: westbaystars: All the real highlights so far this game have really been for the Giants.
21:59: westbaystars: Nishi's 1,000th career hit in the first.
21:59: westbaystars: Rhodes' 300th career home run.
21:59: westbaystars: Kuroda's two incredible plays to keep the Carp from scoring (although temporarily in the 10th).
22:00: westbaystars: Shimizu leads off the 10th against Hiroshima closer Sasaoka.
22:01: westbaystars: He takes ball one outside, then fouls an inside pitch off his foot. He's not hurt, though.
22:01: westbaystars: The next pitch from Sasaoka is high and away, ball two.
22:01: westbaystars: Sasaoka hits the outside part of the plate to even the count at 2-2.
22:02: westbaystars: The next pitch is pulled to LaRocca at second. An easy throw to first, puts the Giants down to their final two outs.
22:02: MHtrStevie: Eight minutes left in my show... will I be able to announce a final score?
22:02: westbaystars: Rhodes comes up, and the crowd chants "Home run, home run."
22:02: westbaystars: Hard to say. Relief pitchers take so much time.
22:02: MHtrStevie: Every game since I've started this has been tied at the end of the show... =)
22:03: westbaystars: The count is even 1-1.
22:03: westbaystars: Actually, Sasaoka isn't so bad.
22:03: westbaystars: He's high and away, ball two.
22:04: westbaystars: Rhodes swings and missed BIG on a pitch down the middle. 2-2.
22:04: westbaystars: I've been keeping track of game times, and the Giants are far and away the longest.
22:04: westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch, taken for ... ball three?
22:05: westbaystars: Oh, that looked like a good pitch. Sasaoka thought so, too.
22:05: westbaystars: Full count.
22:05: westbaystars: Rhodes shakes his bat, the pitch, outside, ball four.
22:05: westbaystars: That brings up Takahashi, and it looks like you're in a pinch.
22:06: westbaystars: The first pitch is grouned weakly back to Sasaoka.
22:06: westbaystars: It's too weak to get the lead runner, the only throw is to first, and Takahashi helps you out be making out quickly.
22:06: westbaystars: Next up is Kiyohara.
22:07: westbaystars: Kiyo goes after the first pitch.
22:07: westbaystars: He lines it deep to right.
22:07: westbaystars: But not deep enough.
22:07: westbaystars: The right fielder pulls it in, and the game is over.
22:07: westbaystars: With three minutes to spare.
22:07: westbaystars: ***
22:07: westbaystars: Game Final
22:07: westbaystars: Hiroshima 4 - 3 Giants
22:07: westbaystars: ***
22:08: westbaystars: Whew.
22:08: westbaystars: That was quite a game.
22:08: westbaystars: Kuroda bows to the field before leaving for the clubhouse.
22:08: MHtrStevie: Wow... nice to see Hiroshima take one win out of this tightly contested series...
22:09: westbaystars: Oppising hero, Kurihara takes the soap box for the hero interview.
22:10: habs: Good game. If you happen to do a baystar game with walker pitching I know of a few people who wre inteerested to partici
22:10: westbaystars: That's it for tonight. Typing up a double header is tough on the hands.
22:11: westbaystars: OK, habs-san. He's been pitching on Wednesdays the last couple of weeks.
22:11: habs: you did a good job
22:11: westbaystars: Wednesdays are the worst days for me.
22:11: MHtrStevie: Great job, Westbay-san... thanks again for providing this service!
22:11: MHtrStevie: I'll do my best to be here again Sunday if you do it then...
22:12: westbaystars: I'm usually on a train for most of game (listening on the radio when available).
22:12: westbaystars: On Wednesdays, that is.
22:12: MHtrStevie: To those in Japan... oyasuminasai... =)
22:12: westbaystars: Sundays appear to be best for everyone.
22:13: westbaystars: Especially those who have to go to work that day.
22:13: habs: Ill try since you've helped on the time difference from connectuict
22:14: westbaystars: OK. Look forward to more.
22:14: westbaystars: That's it for tonight.
22:14: westbaystars: Take care all. Have a good Golden Week.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.