Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sporting News: Fundamental Differences

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Sporting News: Fundamental Differences
The May 17th issuse of Sporting News has an article written by Joe Hoppel (full text at FoxNews.com) on why Japanese players are strong in baseball fundementals, i.e. bunting, throwing to the cut-off man, positioning onself to make a throw after a catch, etc. It attributes their success to the emphasis on practice and repetition of these skills. Ichiro offers some pithy insights, i.e. "The fact that we are (so good fundementally) is nothing to be proud of. It's what's expected of you at this level."
Comments
Re: Sporting News: Fundamental Differences
[ Author: matteo | Posted: May 23, 2004 9:10 PM ]

The focus on repetition is present in most facets of their sport. When I was a student, the baseball team would practice the same drills every morning, night, and then on the weekends when there were no games. This happened in all sports, rugby, tennis, kendo, etc. I think you will find that the Japanese will be strong in the basic fundamentals of all sports.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.