Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball World Cup

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Baseball World Cup
A World Cup of Baseball could be played next March. Major League Baseball has sent a proposal to all its 30 teams notifying them of the fact that players on teams that advance to the final would not be with them for spring training.

The tournament is scheduled to begin March 4 in Asia and March 9 in the United States and Puerto Rico. It will feature six countries. The ones I can come up with off the top of my head would be the Australia, Canada, China, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, the United States, and Venezuela.

There would be four pools of four nations each in the first round and the top two teams would move on. In round two, there would be two groups with four teams and the top two would move on to the semi-finals. The semi-finals and finals, scheduled to be played March 21 in the US, would be a one-game affair.

However, while this is still all talk, it's getting serious. The Major League owners still have to approve.
Comments
My Good Idea
[ Author: Guest: Ikkyu-san | Posted: Jun 29, 2004 5:11 PM ]

Standings of Last Year. World Champion (1st), 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, ...

1st Week (Preliminary Round) 3-game series:

Match A: 2nd vs. 3rd @2nd,
Match B: 4th vs. 5th @4th,
Match C: 6th vs. 7th @6th,

2nd Week (Championship Round)

World Series:
World Champion (1st) vs. Winner A (2nd or 3rd) @Home and Away for a 5-game series
Loser A vs. Winner B @LoserA 3-games
Loser B vs. Winner C @LoserB 3-games

And the standing will be brought to the next year.

Just two weeks> for players in post season!

I am confident that this is the best resolution.

Ikkyu.
Re: My Good Idea
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 30, 2004 7:42 AM | HAN Fan ]

One problem is that the Mexican League and Taiwan's CPBL start their respective professional seasons in March.
Re: Baseball World Cup
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 11, 2004 9:05 AM | HAN Fan ]

The Korean Baseball Organization and Nippon Professional Baseball announced that they are boycotting Major League Baseball's proposed "World Cup" scheduled for March 2005. After having conferred with Japanese Commisioner Negoro Yasuchika last weekend, KBO Commissioner Park Yong-oh will deliver Japan and Korea's mutual decision to MLB Commissioner Bud Selig at the MLB All-Star game. The primary reasons for not particiapting are:
  1. MLB's "lack of consideration" to the concerns of Japan and Korea
  2. MLB and MLB Players Association reaping the majority of profits from the games
  3. Schedling conflicts with Japanese and Korean spring training and the beginning of the regular season
  4. MLB's rejection of Park's proposal of a steering committee to include KBO & NPB
  5. NPB and KBO feel that a "third party" such the International Baseball Federation should run the event
References:
Kim Hyun-cheol. (2004, July 9). Korea Times. Retrieved July 9, 2004, from Hancooki.com (2004, July 9).
Japan Times. Retrieved July 9, 2004 from JapanTimes.co.jp.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.