Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tuffy Speaks Out

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Tuffy Speaks Out
The Japan Times had an interesting interview with Tuffy Rhodes today [Link]. He suggests the Giants lost because their pitching was mismanaged and that, on the business side, the Giants have too much power over the game. (It's great to have a multi-year contract, I guess).

I'd like to ask anyone who saw a lot of the Giants this year what kind of defense they played and how much that might have had to do with the weakness of the pitching? It seemed to me that they had a few stationary types (including perhaps Tuffy in center). Rhodes also thinks the players were too timid in striking only on weekends.

On the latter point: he'd know better than I, but from all I've read, I think the players covered themselves in glory. Bucking their own history and a long cultural tradition, they stood up firmly once all alternatives were exhausted. They somewhat masterfully marshalled public opinion behind them. I wish Furuta would come play a year in MLB so I could go out and applaud him.

They must see it through to assure a sixth Pacific League team next year, and if they do, I think it could be argued (perhaps not to a Buffalo or BlueWave fan) that with the consolidation into a single Osaka-area competitor to the Tigers and expansion to an underserved area with an infusion of new blood into the ownership ranks, that NPB has emerged from the "crisis" significantly stronger in spite of itself.
Comments
Re: Tuffy Speaks Out
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 2, 2004 6:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

I personally think that Rhodes got it wrong on the players' strike (though he's right on everything else). The players' campaign, if it had a fault, was that they delayed a week, but was otherwise perfect.

As for the Giants, their fielding was sound, though Kiyohara was a better first baseman than Petagine. Their pitching was weak and they suffered particularly at the set up and closing stages. Pitchers seemed to get the same level of guidance as the Tigers' pitchers (ie nothing), and only poor batting by their opponents saved them.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.