Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Opening Day: Rakuten vs. Lotte Live in English

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Opening Day: Rakuten vs. Lotte Live in English
I've posted this under Media Guide, but I'm not sure if people outside of Japan read that. So I'll repeat the post here. (Comments on which location would be best for these post would also be nice.)

I'll be broadcasting the season opener between the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles and Chiba Lotte Marines at Chiba Marine Stadium here on Saturday, March 26 starting a little before 1:00pm JST. This should be a good time on Friday night for Pro Yakyu fans on the west coast of the U.S.

Those who can't catch it live can download the broadcast at their leisure when it's done from here.
Comments
Re: Opening Day: Rakuten vs. Lotte Live in English
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 12:55 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, I had two people join me live on opening day. A modest beginning, but it's nice to know that someone was listening.

In the middle of the first inning I checked the stream and heard music. I thought I had done something wrong and stopped the stream and restarted it, but it turned out I was listening to the wrong stream - so I did get the entire game. It's just broken into two files, part 1 (4.1MB) and part 2 (62.7MB). If anyone wants to pass them on via Bit Torrent or other peer-to-peer network, please feel free.

I'm working on merging the two files, or maybe breaking them up into innings for shorter downloads and/or streams. But my poor little five year old machine at home doesn't have enough memory to load it all in, making the editing a very slow process.

I'm still in the experimental stage with audio processing, so please don't expect anything resembling a professional package. Listening to my own announcing, I hear myself trip over words and such, so I need work there, too. But it should come with more practice. Any other constructive critism is welcome.

I hope more of you will join in live on the Central League kaimaku (opening day) game that I plan to do at the end of this week. See you then.

[Links removed on Mar 27, 2005 10:06 PM JST. See post below for new link.]
[ Author: Guest: Simon A. Timms | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 4:35 PM ]

Well, the historical third broadcast! Understandable that you are still getting used to the format after years of typing the games up, so I can forgive you for "tripping over words" etc.

One problem point was the fact that it was not obvious how to tune into the broadcast - no clearly marked link - so I missed the first hour or so before I contacted you and you added the link. I wonder how many potential listeners just gave up?

Anyway. I enjoyed what I did hear and will be tuning in for the next broadcast. Fans of Pro Yakyu - tune in and support Michael's pioneering work!

Regards,

Simon A. Timms
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 10:05 PM | YBS Fan ]

I have merged the two audio files together and reduced its size to 22MB (from over 65MB combined) for downloading and listening here. Please feel free to make copies and redistribute this to your heart's contents on peer-to-peer networks. This is a legitimate use of peer-to-peer networks like Bit Torrent as I'm the "artist" giving permission to do so, making it available to a larger audience.

One thing I should point out, there is a little over a minute of silence at the beginning. That isn't a problem with your system.

As an alternative to downloading the entire game, you may listen to the continuously repeating stream of the game here for about a week. I haven't heard from anyone if they like the continuous streams or not, so a week seems good for repeating them there, with the option still available to download the files from the audio archive.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 12:38 AM | HT Fan ]

Hey, not bad, Westbaystars-san! It took me a minute to get used to sports commentary without some kind of crowd noise in the background, but anyway I thought it was good. Keep it up.
[ Author: Basebill | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 11:06 AM | TYS Fan ]

In response to where the best place to post upcoming broadcasts, I vote for here, under news. It is always the first place I go when I visit the forum.

Bill
[ Author: Guest: Jim Gribbins | Posted: Mar 29, 2005 7:25 AM ]

Michael,

Great job. Please post in the main forum for upcoming broadcasts! This is my first baseball season back in the US after the last 7 years on Okinawa. I miss Pro Yakyu! I will listen every chance I get!

Keep up the great work.

Jim Gribbins

Go Tigers and Fighters!
[ Author: Smeghead52 | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 11:01 AM ]

I've always wanted to see Japanese games on actual television. Fox Sports Net had the Carribean World Series with Mazatlan, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. With so many players playing in the U.S., it would be cool to watch - especially in March while waiting for MLB to start.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.