Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers starting rotation

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
Tigers starting rotation
The initial Tigers starting rotation is now decided.
1. Andoh (Opening Day March 28th BayStars)
2. Fukuhara (March 29 BayStars)
3. Iwata (March 30 BayStars)
4. Shimoyanagi (April 1 Carp)
5. Atchison (April 2 Carp)
6. Kanemura (April 3 Carp)

Vogelsong and Uezono are both going to start the season in ni-gun. Kanemura has recovered well and so Okada feels able to advance his return. The surprise is Atchison who has only pitched in relief so far but has done enough to earn a place in the rotation. Sugiyama, Taiyo and Nohmi all didn't make the rotation this year round.
Comments
Re: Tigers starting rotation
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 26, 2008 12:25 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hot on the heels of being named as sixth pitcher in the rotation, Kanemura took part in a second team game. He pitched four innings faced 18 batters and gave up three runs on 6 hits. Okada decided he wasn't ready after all and so reprieved Sugiyama. The latter will start as Tigers no.6 pitcher against the Carp on April 3rd.
[ Author: ExitMoose | Posted: Mar 26, 2008 1:27 PM | HT Fan ]

I heard there was talk of Fujikawa wanting to move to a starting position this year. I suppose nothing came of that rumor?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:15 PM | HAN Fan ]

The coaches rapidly squashed the idea.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Mar 26, 2008 6:37 PM ]

What's the deal with the rookie of the year from last year starting on 2-gun? Has Uezono had a bad spring? Are they just watching his pitch count? (unlikely in Japan) Or is it just Okada being Okada?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 26, 2008 7:12 PM | HAN Fan ]

Uezono's Spring training camp wasn't too bad however, he wasn't convincing in the matches he pitched. Against Orix on 24th February he pitched 44 pitches in two innings and gave up two runs on 4 hits. His next start was 67 pitches in 3 innings once again against Orix with 5 hits and two runs given up on 1st March. His control hasn't been good and so it is felt that he would benefit from time in ni-gun.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Mar 27, 2008 12:43 AM ]

Well, let's hope for the best. That's not a rotation that would intimidate any opponent, but let's hope the new offense (a.k.a. Arai) will help to take some of the load off the starting rotation. Although even having Fukuhara in your starting rotation is questionable, let alone a #2 starter...
I'll be at the Kyocera Dome on Sunday hoping for good things. Guess I'll be seeing Iwata. A rookie? Not familiar with the name...
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 27, 2008 6:53 PM | HAN Fan ]

Iwata was Tigers No. 1 draft pick in 2006. He started four games in 2007 (and one in 2006 which I don't remember) late season and then went down to the ni-gun. However, his Spring camp (the first stage in Okinawa) he was so good Okada put him into the rotation. His first starts in Open Sen were a bit lucky but he got better and so has earned a place in the rotation. I'll be doing a match report of the game of course but I'd be interested if you could let me know your impressions.
This year I am hoping that Fukuhara has decided to have a good year. But I agree that the rotation is not blessed with stunning pitching ability.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.