Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

"Okawari" Nakamura

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
"Okawari" Nakamura
How about this kid? Three homers in two games. I love it when young guys get chances and shine like Nakamura, Nishioka, Imae, Nakajima, Kuriyama, and Mise (though he's not that young). Let's hope we see more of these guys get playing time this year.
Comments
Re: "Okawari" Nakamura
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: May 24, 2005 10:22 AM | YAK Fan ]

Seibu has announced that they will start selling "Okawari" goods such as wristbands and T-shirts, from the end of May, which I assume will be available at baseball stands before and after Lions' games, and possibly in Seibu department stores as well. The club is also looking into selling new food items in honor of Nakamura, such as dorayaki (bean-jam pancake), and rice bowl dishes as well.

For those of you who don't know, okawari is a Japanese word loosely translated into "extra helping," or "second helping" (although not limited to just one extra serving). Okawari is Takeya Nakamura's favorite word, so the fans call him "Okawari" Nakamura.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 25, 2005 1:54 PM ]

In limited appearances, Nakamura is behaving like Barry Bonds! Once opposing teams start analyzing and adapting their strategies against him, we'll truly see if he's the real thing. For the sake of the Lions, I hope he can make adjustments on his own when that time comes.

17 games, 56 PA, 8 HR, 18 RBI, 367 AVG, .429 OBP, .980 SLG.

Wow (though a very small sample size).

Can't find his minor league stats right now, but he hit well there, so even with the expected drop off moving up to ichi-gun and after this initial run, he should be a decent player.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: May 26, 2005 3:50 AM | SL Fan ]

Replying to myself, but Nakamura hit 2 more home runs last night! For a total of 10 HRs in 18 games! Guess the advance scouts and opposing coaches still haven't figured out a good way to pitch him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.