Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

New to Japanese Baseball

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
New to Japanese Baseball
I have heard of Japanese baseball because in Hawaii a lot of Hawaii guys played in the Japanese major leagues in the old days. I also am a big baseball fan in general. Favorite team is the Cards in America. Don't really have one but I have seen at least 6-7 games involving the Buffaloes, the Giants, the BlueWave, and the Tigers.

The web site said that there were a lot of misconceptions about Japanese baseball so I was interested. I am interested because I am Japanese American and I recently returned from Japan and saw some Japanese baseball. I know some Japanese but not enough to speak conversationally. I know what the basic teams are so what are some of the miconceptions in general between American and Japanese baseball?

Comments
Hawaiian and Misconceptions
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 6, 2002 10:57 PM | YBS Fan ]

Funny you mention Hawaii this weekend. I just got some data from a fan in Itally listing players who have played in the Hawaiian Winter League over the past decade or so. And many of them have gone on to be league leaders in a number of categories. For Japanese, Hawaii has been a great place to tune their talents. I plan on writing up something on that soon.

As for misconceptions, this thread has some excellent examples. Please browse it and some of the "Ask the Commish" questions. If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Hawaiian Winter League
[ Author: pacific | Posted: May 7, 2002 3:46 PM ]

Yeah I used to go to Winter ballgames. I loved it. Rumor has it they will bring it back because winter ball seems to be failing in the States and the Major League teams are looking for a league to get extra tuning for their prospects. Supposedly sometime next year or so. There were some Japanese players there as I recall. There was also a woman baseball player. The phenomenon you mentioned goes for American basbeall, too. A few noteables have played in the Hawaii Winter leagues and also done quite well. Preston Wilson, Craig Counsell, Jason Giambi, and Chris Truby to name a few. This a really good site.
Re: Hawaiian and Misconceptions
[ Author: pacific | Posted: May 7, 2002 3:48 PM ]

Speaking of the Hawaii Winter leagues, there was a pitcher last name Maeda. He threw pretty hard and played for the Maui Stingray. Any info on him. Sorry I don't have the full name but it was a while ago.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 7, 2002 11:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, that would have been Maeda Katsuhiro, 1994, Maui Stingrays. He was kind of a hot head with Seibu from 1993 to 1995. After the '95 season, he fought to be released, refusing to sign and demanding to be traded to the MLB. He got his wish and played in the North American minors for a while.

He returned to Japan last year, joining the Chunichi Dragons, but didn't appear with the top team. There's been some talk of him in the Nichi-Bei section. He has a number of followers, but I'm afraid that I'm not one of them. A lot of potental, but too little patience is the total impression I have of him.
[ Author: yakult toughman | Posted: May 8, 2002 2:56 AM | YAK Fan ]

Katsuhiro Maeda is with the Taiwainese pro-baseball league.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.