Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Chiba Lotte Marines

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Chiba Lotte Marines
I went to Chiba Lotte's Marine Stadium the other day for the first time and it was above all expectations. I could never have thought a B Class Pacific League team could have so much support as Lotte did..

It's intresting that only moving from Kawasaki to Chiba could make such a big difference. I also noticed Lotte fans don't use megaphones like other fans do. Are there any other fans who have stopped using megaphones like Lotte fans??

All in all I was very impressed with the new Lotte. It has become my favorite Parigu team now..
Comments
Re: Chiba Lotte Marines
[ Author: Pa-League no Aniki | Posted: Aug 21, 2002 2:20 AM ]

Hi. I am Pa-League no Aniki. I am a Lotte Marine fan myself. The Marines' cheering section in the right field bleachers owe much of their cheering style to J-league soccer supporters, I heard. The way they cheer and sing a different theme song for each player is a breath of fresh air compared to a mindless, noisier-the-better megaphone shouts and horn blowing.

Since the beginning of this season, the Yomiuri Giants' fans have been imitating a lot of the Lotte cheering songs without giving credit to the Lotte fans. While some die-hard Lotte lovers knock "the Yomiuris" for their lack of originality and respect, people in both teams' cheering sections seem to enjoy a pretty good relationship.

Another thing that impresses me about the Marine fans in the rightfield bleachers is that in the name of sportsmanship, they make it a no-no to jeer the opposing team.

However, all cheer and no jeer makes the Pacific League a dull league. Jeering, in fact, is considered by die-hard Japanese Pacific League lovers as one of the essential attractions of Pacific League games.

And that's why, we, the "baka" boys of Makuhari, jeer to our hearts' content from our 3rd level homeplate section seats to keep alive the good old Pacific League spirit. We try not to sit near the bleachers so as not to upset anybody, though. ;-p
[ Author: Chris51 | Posted: Aug 21, 2002 9:45 AM ]

Can you update me on the condition Marines ace Tomohiro Kuroki?
[ Author: Pa-League no Aniki | Posted: Aug 22, 2002 12:03 AM ]

Hi. Today (Aug 21) I went to see a Marines 2-gun (minor league) game in Toda against the Yakult Swallows. I saw the likes of Shingo "Sunday" Ono, Frank Bolick and Ryosuke Sawai on the field, but I didn't see Tomohiro "Johnny" Kuroki at all. Nearly all players who are about ready to go off the DL play a few "adjustment games" in the 2-gun minors.

But I did see a new ad, about a month ago, in the fan club booklet showing Johnny smiling with one of those "minus ion" health enhancement rings. He looked quite healthy in the ad, but you can't tell from the ad the state of his mind or the recovery of his shoulder problem.

Chiba Lotte Marines fans were hoping for his comeback this summer, but the way things stand right now, it will have to be much later than that. As far as I know there are no confirmed reports of his possible comeback dates. A few months ago I read an article which said Johnny Kuroki had recovered just about enough to start throwing balls.

Johnny shouldn't make a premature comeback. He has had a series of injuries and has suffered through a series of premature comebacks. Obviously his dedication to his team made him pitch prematurely against his own good judgment. I remember reading Pedro Martinez suffered a similar fate last year and paid dearly for his over-dedication to the game.

But those days are hopefully over. I, for one, will be quite happy to see him make a strong comeback in time for the next season. He is one of the best Pacific League pitchers and nobody, including Johnny himself, should make him head for a forced premature comeback.

Off the field he is known to be a nice person who is loyal to his fans. We can't afford to lose him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.