Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

YG - Where do They Go from Here?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
YG - Where do They Go from Here?
After reading the interesting article from yesterday's Asahi Shimbun [Link], I got to thinking. One thing that cropped up - I looked in Graczyk's Fan Guide, and noticed something with the salaries. Here are all the Giants' players listed that make over 17 millon yen:

P: Miceli, Kuwata, Uehara, Kudoh
IF: Kiyohara, Kokubo, Nishi
OF: Rhodes, Kapler, Y. Takahashi, Shimizu

Of that group, Uehara, Kokubo, Nishi, Takahashi, and Shimizu all are keepers, had pretty good years, and would seem not to be the reason for the Giants' poor season. I thought I had heard that Miceli, Kiyohara, Rhodes, and Kapler would all be gone next year. (Anyone know about Kuwata, age 37 or Kudoh, 42?) So, looking at this it would seem that they don't have too much money tied up in ineffective players, and probably have as much or more money than usual to make some moves.

Has anybody heard anything about what direction they may be going?
Comments
Re: YG - Where do They Go from Here?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 27, 2005 9:48 PM | CLM Fan ]

With the way they played Kamei and Yano this year, I'd say they're going a lot younger. I'm just surprised they never called up Yoshikawa to play at first. They won't be any better next year if Murata is catcher, though. It's not a solution to the problem. The solution would be this order, because it looks to the future.
  1. Shimizu (LF)
  2. Nagata (2B)
  3. Takahashi (RF)
  4. Abe (C)
  5. Kokubo (3B)
  6. Nioka (SS)
  7. Yoshikawa (1B)
  8. Yano (CF)
  9. Pitcher
You could definitely switch Suzuki in there at 1 or 8, though. His batting in early September was really good, and he has speed. Nishi had a standout season in 2004 which he tried to cash in on the majors, but they didn't want his services. I think it'd be smarter for the Giants to see what Nagata can do there for an entire season, rather than see Nishi struggle for double digit homers again.

The real problem with the Giants is pitching. They need to recruit and coach a lot better. A couple foreigners aren't going to solve anything.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 27, 2005 10:05 PM ]

Miceli and Kapler have already been released. Kapler went on to play with the Red Sox and Miceli went on to play with the Rockies. Kiyohara will probably retire (though he has had a great career).

Rhodes is the one I'm still unsure of. He might end up with Orix or Rakuten. There are reports that Hanshin is interested in signing him, too. [Related Thread]

Uehara, Kobuko, Nishi, Takahashi, and Shimizu are all staying, as they all had great years, and it isn't their fault that Yomiuri had a bad year.

As for Kudoh, he seems to be fine and still pitching great with age (so I would have to say he will probably be back). Kuwata, on the otherhand, didn't pitch all so well this year and will probably not be back.

- Has anybody heard anything about what direction they may be going?

Right now, the candidates for Yomiuri manager are former manager Tatsunori Hara, current manager Tsuneo Horiuchi, Kiyoshi Nakahata, or Suguru Egawa. Hara has been quoted as saying he's unsure if he would accept the job if offered to him. Hara resigned in 2003 when he got into a disagreement with Tsuneo Watanabe.

As of now, it seems no one wants to manage the Yomiuri Giants. It's a sad state for the once mighty Kyojin. [Related Thread]
[ Author: mvk20! | Posted: Sep 27, 2005 11:36 PM | YG Fan ]

Yes, I would think they'll be going after pitching primarily as well, since it seems like they can cobble together a pretty good lineup. But the pitching, outside of Uehara and a couple of the guys in the pen, is pretty suspect.

Is it too early for rumors on specific players they might be targeting?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 28, 2005 7:39 AM | HAN Fan ]

Giants have confirmed that they will not be retaining Kuwata.

[by Editor: What is your source? The September 28 issue of Nikkan Sports (paper version) says that Kuwata will have to take a 1-oku yen pay cut, and Giant officials are sure that he'll remain.]
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 28, 2005 2:14 PM | HAN Fan ]

The source was NHK last week, the 21st of September.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.