Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What's Up with the Draft System?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
What's Up with the Draft System?
How are players picked from the school level? Don't those boys have control over their selection?
Comments
Re: What's Up with the Draft System?
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 6:14 PM ]

Hi, I don't understand the system at all. It just seems like the Giants always get the best players. Seems strange that the Carp and Eagles pick ahead of the Giants and don't take the best player. Then the Giants have a lottery with the Buffaloes and win the right to draft the best player. What happened to the idea of the worst team gets the first pick and the best team gets the last pick? It just seems like with everything else in Japan the draft is still slanted toward the Giants.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 9:09 PM | SL Fan ]

Was the NPB draft ever designed so that the worst team can get the best player? I think the draft was put into place to prevent all the best players from going to one team, because each team can only select one player per round, instead of a free for all like before the draft days.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 10:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

Please also see this thread.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Oct 6, 2005 1:02 PM ]

Hi. Again I'm amazed at what I'm reading! The draft is supposed to be an equalizer. The worst team gets the first pick and the best team gets the last pick. Anything else is pure foolishness. It's foolish to have all the teams ask for who they want, because if the best team asks for the best player and have a lottery they can end up getting the best player. How does that system keep the league equal?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 6, 2005 7:05 PM | HT Fan ]

- How does that system keep the league equal?

It doesn't. And that's the problem.

But I tell you what, if the Giants ever have an extended string of last place finishes as the Tigers did, then that would certainly provide an impetus for change.
[ Author: Guest: buymeabeer | Posted: Oct 7, 2005 6:19 AM ]

Listen, the draft system has obvious flaws, but this is Japan. I've personally witnessed much stranger things here than the draft system, and hence the draft system doesn't really surprise me all that much. The draft is amongst the least of Japan's worries. Not being racist or anything, just being honest.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Oct 9, 2005 9:31 AM ]

Hi. Does anyone know where I can find profiles in English about the NPB high school drafted players?

Thanks,
Dylan
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.