Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

mlb.tv Equivalent for NPB?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
mlb.tv Equivalent for NPB?
Hey all,

With the Japan Series coming up, is there anything comparable to mlb.tv for Japanese Pro Baseball? I'd love to follow the league more closely, but it's just kind of hard with my weak knowledge of Japanese and without full video of the games. If this doesn't exist, are there any plans for the league to start for next season?

Thank you.

Sean
Comments
Re: mlb.tv Equivalent for NPB?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 19, 2005 4:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

Look for "Pro Yakyu Live!" notices under the News section for my audio broadcasts in English. I plan on doing all of the Japan Series games except October 25 (I get back from Shinjuku too late on that day).

Only the Lions and Hawks had video Internet broadcasts open to the public last season. More information on them is available under the Links section.

Rakuten and Nippon Ham both were looking into doing video broadcasts, but never seemed to get their systems up and running.
[ Author: meanlife2000 | Posted: Oct 19, 2005 7:32 PM | HT Fan ]

Thank you westbaystars, but I think it's better if we have video. Most of the matches are shown on free TV.

By the way, I found Japan Series broadcasts from Yahoo! TV Listings [in Japanese]. Please refer the the Japan Today channel listing in English.

10/22 18:00-20:54 TVAsahi 10
10/23 18:00- NHK -BS1 and BS Hi
10/25 18:00-20:54 TVAsahi
10/26 18:00-20:54 TBS and BS-i
10/27 18:10-20:54 NipponTV
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 20, 2005 12:03 AM | YBS Fan ]

I don't think you understand why Sean O-san (and many others at this time of the year) are asking about Internet broadcasts as opposed to TV broadcasts. It's because so many fans are spread out throughout the world, without access to NTV, TBS, TV Asahi, etc. Some places get NHK International, but it's extreamly expensive just to get for one game a week, and perhaps just one of the seven games this year.

Pro Yakyu is global, whether the powers-that-be realize it or not. Right now, they don't cater to those outside of Japan. That's why I do what I can.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 20, 2005 2:33 PM | HAN Fan ]

NHK will show the entire matches on October 23 and 26. They will also show game 7 on 30th October. Game 6 has not yet been allocated as bidding is fierce for this game.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 19, 2005 9:20 PM ]

The Lions link and Hawks link are below:

Seibu Lions at Yahoo! Japan
Fukuoka Softbank Hawks - bcast.co.jp

These links were also under the Media Guide section.
[ Author: mvk20! | Posted: Oct 20, 2005 3:10 AM | YG Fan ]

In addition to the full games on the Hawks' and Lions' websites, there are highlights on some other teams' sites. The Giants, Marines, and Eagles in particular are three that I've found. The Hawks also have highlights, but they only show the good plays by the Hawks, not their opponents. Check the thread titled Highlights, I think in the Media section of these forums.

For the Nippon Series, hopefully the Marines' site will have some good highlights. I think maybe their highlights are better when it's a Marine home game. For the just completed playoffs, I definitely recommend checking out some of the highlights - those were some unbeleivable games, as has been mentioned elsewhere in these forums. The good thing about highlights is that you can watch them any time, not just live, and here in the US there's a pretty wicked time difference.

If anyone knows of any other highlights locations, please share, and perhaps post them in that other thread as well. If anyone knows if the Tigers have highlights anywhere that would be particularly helpful given the upcoming Nippon Series. I wasn't able to find them, but my Japanese is very hunt and peck, so I wouldn't trust my inability to find them as any sort of indication.

When next season starts up, I'll probably take it upon myself to start a thread that hopefully will end up being a complete list of what teams have highlight reels available and where they can be found.
[ Author: Guest: Sean O | Posted: Oct 20, 2005 1:54 AM ]

Thanks to all of the responses, I really appreciate it. I'm living in Philadelphia, PA without cable now, so all my baseball access comes from the 'net. MLB.tv is a godsend, so I hope the league comes up with a system in the near-future so I can keep up with everything out there.

Sorry for not finding it under the "Media Guide" section, I guess I was looking more for a league-sponsored page as opposed to just a team-situation. Thanks again, this seems like a great board.
[ Author: Guest: Sean O | Posted: Oct 20, 2005 7:36 AM ]

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciated it. First off, your simulcasts of the Japan Series are an absolute godsend, thanks a million for taking the time to connect poor overseas yakyu fans to the big event.

I'm living in Philadelphia now (born in Boston, so I'm a big Sox fan, hence the Hanshin connection) without cable, so all my baseball access comes from the net.

Hopefully NPB will set up a similar situation to mlb.tv, but how much Japanese sports are simulcasted on TV stations available in the US? I would be happy to watch Japanese futbol or even NOAH or other puro.

Thanks again.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.