Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nakamura vs. Matsui

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Nakamura vs. Matsui
Assuming what I'm reading this morning is correct, Nakamura signed with the Mets for 2 years, $3.5 mil/year, while Matsui signed with the Yankees for 3 years, $7 mil/year. Nakamura's 29, Matsui 28.

Does anybody here actually think Matsui's worth twice as much as Nakamura? I agree that Matsui has had better overall numbers, but in recent years, Nakamura's been almost as good. Plus, Nakamura plays 3rd., where there aren't many sluggers available. Are the Yankees a victim of the hype? (Or equivalently, Nakamura got ripped off...?)

I suppose the same scouts who thought Ichiro can't play in the big leagues with his swing are complaining about Nakamura's unorthodox swing now, but that can't be the only reason for paying him $3.5 mil less, could it?
Comments
Re: Nakamura vs. Matsui
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 1:57 PM ]

One thing I will point out is if you read the article I did on major league equivalents, you can see that Nakamura has not only not played quite as well as H. Matsui, but he has only recently been able to sustain the level he achieved in 2002. I'm not trying to badmouth Nakamura, and I do wonder whether the differences between the two are sufficient to justify the difference in salary. However, a major league GM who didn't consider this factor would be foolish. Further, why pay more than you need to to get a guy's services?

Jim Albright
Re: Nakamura vs. Matsui
[ Author: Guest: Mariner Fan | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 5:20 PM ]

In the end Nori might have agreed with you since he will probably earn a similar salary to Matsui this year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.