Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Barry Bonds Going to the Yomiuri Giants

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
I just read in ESPN Insider [registration required] that if the San Francisco Giants are to raise Bonds' salary from 15 million U.S. dollars to around USD 40 million for the next 3 years. I know it's stupid, but Bonds said he will play for a "diffenent Giants' team," only this one is in Tokyo, Japan. Imagine Bonds a Yomiuri Giant. He said he would sign a 6-7 year deal worth about 350 million American, around 35 million a year. Scary, ain't it? Bonds to the Yomiuri Giants.
Comments
Re: Barry Bonds Going to the Yomiuri Giants
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 12:39 AM | HT Fan ]

LOL. Sammy Sosa said something about playing for the Seibu Lions a few years back when he was angling for a new contract. I'd take any statement like that with a grain of salt.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 3, 2003 12:30 AM ]

Not only would I second the thought that one should take this with some salt (I'd suggest the whole shaker), look at the financial numbers the original poster gave. Either the poster misunderstood the article he's citing, or those numbers are absolutely insane for today's market, be it in Japan or MLB.

Jim Albright
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 12:57 AM | HT Fan ]

I wonder if Kiyohara or Petagine would get the same treatment Ochiai did when Kiyohara came to YG from the Lions.
[ Author: Guest: Hideki Matsui why did you leave | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 1:05 PM ]

That would be awesome if Bonds went to the Yomiuri Giants. It would really make the fans forget about Hideki Matsui.
[ Author: Guest: Giants rule | Posted: Feb 3, 2003 12:15 AM ]

We could win the Nippon Seris for the next 5 years. Go Yomiuri Giants.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 12, 2003 11:42 AM ]

ESPN just reported that the San Francisoc Giants and Barry Bonds are nowhere near a new deal, so it looks like Bonds will put on a diffrent Giants' cap soon. Just hope the Yomiuri Giants can afford his demanded salary of what is now belived to be $50,000,000 in American. Hope it happens in the next 3 weeks or so.
[ Author: Guest: YGiants better than SFGiants | Posted: Feb 15, 2003 7:15 AM ]

Bonds' agent says the San Francisco Giants have until Feburay 20th midnight, American Pacific time, to accept his wanted contract of 225 million dollars for 5 years with a 75 million dollar signing bonus. Man that's a lot of Benji's. Well I guess the Yomiuri Giants will win the Nippon Series.
[ Author: scottboa | Posted: Mar 27, 2003 3:41 AM ]

If Barry Bonds did sign with Yomiuri, it is a very real probablity the he will become the first player to join the 500 HR Club both here AND in Japan.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Mar 28, 2003 3:20 PM | HAN Fan ]

Bonds is too old to reach 500 in Japan. He would have to play another 10 years.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.