Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers' Pote Impressive

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Tigers' Pote Impressive
Looks like the Tigers have someone in Pote who is going to be the real deal. I know it is only a week into camp, but so far his stuff has been nasty according to sources. This leads me to believe as he throws more the better he will get. Anyone know some history on how he progresses during the season? I hope it only gets better and I'm not jumping the gun on him.
Comments
Re: Tigers' Pote Impressive
[ Author: Guest: bino316 | Posted: Feb 11, 2003 11:29 AM ]

Mr. Sugishita, pitching coach for the Dragons taught a new type of split finger ball to Lue Pote, and he mastered it immediately according to the one of the articles today.

This pitching coach is called "the father of the fork ball," and he is the first great pitcher in the Japanese baseball to effectively use it. Sasaki, now with the Mariners, was also taught and improved this spitter by him.

Now Pote has got a new Sasaki type of split fingered fast ball in addition. This could really benefit him.

Bino316 from Anaheim
[ Author: Guest: I Told You So | Posted: Feb 12, 2003 8:22 AM ]

It is just a matter of time until people realize this guy has some nasty stuff. Hopefully he will be able to be as consistent as I know he's capable of being, the best is yet to come!!!!
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Feb 12, 2003 9:28 AM | HT Fan ]

I sure hope that's true, firstly because Hanshin let go of a great closer in Marc Valdez, and we need someone good to replace him, and secondly because Pote faces some stiff competition in Jeff Williams for the closing spot. Hoshino has made noises about using Pote to close and Williams (along with others) in the middle.
[ Author: Guest: I Told You So | Posted: Feb 12, 2003 1:05 PM ]

I think the competition will be beneficial to both guys. I'm sure they use their pitchers in the same manner over here in regards to lefty verse lefty for matchup reasons as they do in the States. He is a real versatile pitcher, so however they use him, he will do well.
[ Author: Guest: bino316 | Posted: Feb 13, 2003 3:41 PM ]

Lou has a very important faculty to be in Japanese baseball. He does not hesitate to throw a breaking ball or split finger at any count, even if it is 3-2, 3-0, or any time. He doesn't have to go with a fastball on a 3-2 pitch.

I was very impressed last June when he pitched a one-hitter in 5 innings as a starter. At the time he filled in for a sick Schoeny.
[ Author: Guest: I Told You So | Posted: Feb 14, 2003 5:52 AM ]

Lou has always had good stats when he pitched on a consistent basis. At the end of the 2001 season, with roughly 2 weeks to play, his ERA was 2.45 and he had about 82 to 85 innings already pitched. At this time he was being used on a consistent basis, and basically had a couple of bad outings right at the end of the season, so his ERA ballooned to 4.15. But the whole team kind of faltered toward the end of that season.

You are certainly correct that he does not hesitate to throw various pitches in situations that most other pitchers won't attempt in certain count situations. He also was pretty affective in New York, again on a spot starts.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.