Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro and Matsui comeback?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Ichiro and Matsui comeback?
Will Ichiro and Hideki Matsui end their baseball careers in North America or what? I want to see Ichiro play at least 1 season in Japan before he retires, same with Hideki.
Comments
Re: Ichiro and Matsui comeback?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:53 AM ]

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would highly doubt Ichiro and Hideki will end their careers in Japan. I don't see the Yankees or Mariners both letting go of either one, because of the market ability both have.
Re: Ichiro and Matsui Come Back?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:10 PM | SL Fan ]

At the tail end of their careers though, Mariners and Yankees aren't going to hold onto them just for marketability, or would they?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 27, 2006 8:46 AM ]

- At the tail end of their careers though, Mariners and Yankees aren't going to hold onto them just for marketability, or would they?

Ichiro and Hideki both will be able to attract to the Japanese market even in the latter part of their careers, which alone will make millions in merchandise revenue. Also, both of them, even in their late age, will be looked by the Japanese public as heroes.

Second, the Seattle Mariners are, as is widly known, owned by the Nintendo Corporation, one of Japan's biggest video game companies.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Mar 27, 2006 11:12 AM ]

If they want a shot at the HOF, especially Ichiro, they are going to have to play as many games as possible in MLB. When they can't play any more, do you really want to see them? I can tell you that watching Willie Mays play for the Mets at age 41 or so was not enjoyable at all. Let them keep their dignity.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:08 PM ]

- When they can't play any more, do you really want to see them?

Though as we know, MLB is all about the business aspect. What do all teams want? To win the pennant and make a profit.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.