Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Web Site

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Web Site
Hey, I just wanted to tell who ever started this web site, "thanks." This is the best coverage I've seen about Japanese baseball since I left Japan. Wish I would have known about this while I was playing there. Then again, I probably wouldn't have wanted to read what was written about me.

Anyway, it's a great site. I'm glad I can keep up on everyone now.

Darrell May
Comments
Re: Web Site
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: May 4, 2003 1:28 PM | HAN Fan ]

It is great to hear from Darrell May, other players, players' family, and their friends. This is a fantastic testament to the hard work of Michael Westbay and others.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: May 4, 2003 3:59 PM ]

I have followed Darrell May's career since he first came to Japan in 1998 to play for the Tigers. Although his career in Japan was brief (4 seasons) he was without a doubt one of the best pitchers to have ever played here. I think that when he returned to the U.S. last season and left a good offer from Yomiuri to play for the Kansas City Royals, it was an admirable decision on his part. He said that when he was a young kid he dreamed about playing in the major leagues, not playing in Japan. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for him to make and I respect the fact that he turned down more money from the Giants in order to play once again in the major leagues.

Now he plays for the Royals, a team that I've followed since the glory days of George Brett, Frank White, Amos Otis, Hal McRae, etc. Mr. May, if you do see this, I just want you to know that, although you and the team didn't have a great season last year, this season you and the team have been terrific. I am a bit worried though since you guys have lost something like 6 out of your last 8 games. What worries me more than anything is the fact that you guys lost many of those games in the last inning with Mike Macdougal blowing a couple of saves after he had been so steady earlier in the season.

Although Hernandez lost today, it would be nice to see him continue to pitch well along with the other young pitchers, and it would be nice if you guys can stay atop the AL Central. I know that Jeffrey Flanagan of the KC Star recently wrote an article about you being a bust, and that signing you was a big mistake on the part of Allard Baird, but don't worry about things like that. You pitched great in your last start against the Red Sox, so please keep it up. With Affeldt coming off the DL, I hope that you guys can return to the way you guys were playing in April.

Good luck this season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 4, 2003 6:33 PM ]

Oops, I meant to say that Darrell May was one of the best foreign pitchers to have ever played here in Japan.

It'll be interesting to see how he does against his former teammate Matsui when the Royals face the Yanks, probably one of the few times that we'll be able to watch a Royals game here on T.V.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.