Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Question on Franchise Strengths

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Question on Franchise Strengths
Obviously, the Giants are the most "successful" and popular franchise, but I'm trying to get some opinions on which franchises would rank #2, #3 & #4 in terms of financial success, on the field success, and fan popularity.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KJOK
Comments
Re: Question on Franchise Strengths
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 10:01 PM | YBS Fan ]

Financially, the Lions' Tsutsumi-owner is a very compentent businessman who knows how to manage a business. While the team is an advertising tool to the Seibu Group, my understanding is that Tsutsumi runs it like any other department and doesn't accept it as a money pit.

Also, Hiroshima's owner (I can't think of his name as he doesn't appear in the press too often) runs the team like a "mom and pop shop" from what I understand. While Hiroshima consistantly has one of, if not the, lowest salary in Japan, it's done so to keep the team in the black. While Toyo (a car parts company) is listed as the owning corporation, it's my understanding that they don't really contribute much, if at all, to the upkeep of the team.

Unfortunately, though, all of the above is just what I've gathered from word of mouth. I have no evidence or particular person to site. So don't site this as though it were fact. It would make an interesting report should any student be looking for ideas. (Hint - see team contacts - hint.)

I'll leave "on field success" for later, when I find my books in one of the 30 odd boxes litering my living room.

As for fan popularity, that's a bit open for interpretation. What you probably want is this:

+------+-------+
| Team | Att |
+------+-------+
| YG | 54250 |
| FDH | 44321 |
| HT | 43571 |
| CD | 31696 |
| YS | 22440 |
| SL | 21333 |
| YBS | 21000 |
| NHF | 18037 |
| OKB | 16222 |
| OBW | 15680 |
| CLM | 13920 |
| HC | 11909 |
+------+-------+

This is the average attendance for home games for each team. Naturally, the Giants are top, then you can see that Daiei averages an equally impressive number of fans for their home games, and the reborn Tigers are drawing fans like they haven't been able to for a decade.

But I'd like to propose another interpretation that numbers don't show. As you can see, Hiroshima is dead last in draw at home. Yet, if you've ever been to Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo cheering for the visiting team, you'll find yourself very lonely. Even the Giants only draw a tiny sliver of fans in the left field stands in Hiroshima. While at pretty much every other stadium out there, the right side of the stadium (especially the outfield stands) is for the home team crowd, the left side for the visitors, Hiroshima is pretty much 95% home team fans, outfield included. Even Koshien is pretty much 50-50 against the Giants.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.