Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rules of the Game?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Rules of the Game?
Hi everybody!

I am French, and I am very interested in Japanese baseball. I don't know a lot about it, but I want to know more. And I would like somebody to explain me how the Japanese ball works; That means: how many times must each time play against another one another? Is there a system of points for the listing, like points for a victory, drawn, or loss.

Arigatou gozaimaisu!
Comments
Re: Rules of the Game?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 15, 2003 10:05 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, the rules are pretty much the same as in Major League Baseball in North America, and there are plenty of sites out there which will explain that.

The basic rules are:
  • Nine innings per game. An inning consists of both teams taking their turn at bat. The visiting team bats first. If, in the nineth inning, after the visiting team has batted, the home team leads in score, the game is over at that point. If the score is tied after nine innings, the game goes into extra innings, whereby each team gets a chance to bat until the tie is broken or a set number of innings are reached. In the case of rain, a game may be called as early as the fifth inning after the visiting team has batted and the home team has the lead, or after the fifth inning is completed (both teams have batted) if the home team does not lead.

• Each at bat, a team tries to score "runs" by moving a runner around the bases. The base to the right of home plate (looking at the field from behind it) is first base, then going around counter-clockwise are second base, third base, and back to home plate, where the batter started.

• The batter (offensive player) attempts to get on base by either hitting the ball into fair territory, the 90 degree lines from home to first and home to third, each extending all the way to the fenses, or drawing a walk (four pitches out of the strike zone). A ball hit outside of fair territory is called a "foul ball," and counts as a "strike" against the batter if there are less than two strikes against him so far. Players on base may not advance on a foul ball.

• A batter is "out" in a number of methods including, but not limited to, hitting the ball on no bounds to a fielder (defensive member), hitting the ball to a fielder and having the ball thrown to first base before the batter (now runner) reaches first, or the batter (or any runner) being touched by the ball (may be in a fielder's glove) while in between bases. Also, three strikes and the batter is out.

• A strike is called against a batter when he either lets the pitched (thrown) ball go by him and the ball is between knees and chest in height and over home plate in width. If he swings and misses the ball, it is also a strike. Foul balls, up to two strikes, also count as strikes as stated above.

• A ball hit over the outfield fense in fair territory is a home run, and the batter may round the bases and score upon reaching home plate.

That just covers the very basic offensive rules, and there are many other rules and exceptions to the rules.

Rules where Japan differs from Major League Baseball include:

• Games are called a tie after 12 innings. (The number of innings has fluctuated over years and leagues.)

• A ball hitting the ceiling of one of the Domes is considered in play depending on where it comes down. The only exception (so far) is hitting the speakers on the top of Tokyo Dome, which is considered a home run.

• In the Central League, hitting a batter on the head/helmet is grounds for automatic expulsion from the game, whether intentional or not.

Then there are stategy differences between NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball - please don't call it "J-Ball") and MLB. Read through the forums for some ideas on that. But I think you'll need to learn more terminology and more about the game in general before any of that makes any sense.

Well, hope this helps.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.