Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Izzy Alcantara???

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Izzy Alcantara???
I heard rumors that Izzy Alcantara was signed by a team in the Japanese baseball league. Did this ever happen?
Comments
Re: Izzy Alcantara?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 10, 2003 12:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

Not that I know of. Neither of two sites I rely on for that kind of information, official Pacific League registry updates and Pro Yakyu Jinji Bu new/retiring players page [both in Japanese], mention him. And I haven't noticed such a name in the newspaper.

But several of the teams are looking for new foreign players to replace those that haven't produced yet this season, so it's entirely possible that Alcantara is on somebody's list. Where did you hear such rumors?
Re: Izzy Alcantara???
[ Author: Guest: B.J. Ahn | Posted: Jul 10, 2003 9:48 AM ]

Izzy Alcantara was signed by and is playing for the LG Twins of KBO (Korea Baseball Organization).
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 11, 2003 5:03 AM | HAN Fan ]

Izzy had four hits including two solo home runs to lead the LG Twins over the Hanwha Eagles on Tuesday night.

[Team corrected by: westbaystars on Jul 11, 2003 9:21 AM JST based on KBO Standings and Highlights thread. Request confirmation.]
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 11, 2003 12:41 PM | HAN Fan ]

You are correct!
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 18, 2003 1:15 PM ]

The last I heard was Izzy is in Mexican League.

He finally made it to Asia! He told me he wanted to go to Japan two season ago when he was playing for the Pawtucket RedSox. He's one of the nicest player I've ever met and I was like ??? when I saw him get into the fight during a AAA game. I hope Izzy the best and hope he'll make it back to the Major Leagues one day.

Jimy Williams hated him for not playing hard, but what has Jimy Williams done right when he was managing the RedSox?
[ Author: Guest: whatever | Posted: Jul 20, 2003 4:23 AM ]

No need to bash Jimy Williams - he did great with the Bo-Sox given the talent he had to work with and a lame GM who subsequently got the boot. Izzy was lazy, and even Jerry Remy was appalled watching him play. As for what Jimy has done, he consistently got the Red Sox into the wild card race (only 2nd to the Yankees in the division), and when he left, the team fell apart (remember Joe Kerrigan?).

Now look at him in Houston - 1st place in their division. If Izzy was such a great asset, I'm sure someone would have picked him up.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 1:13 PM ]

I followed the Red Sox very much when Nomo was pitching for them two years ago, the year when you say Jimy Williams left and Joe Kerrigan took over and the team collapsed. Jimy Williams left, because he got "fired."

Izzy is not a player that a hard-nose manager is looking for, looking at the Ben Grieve/Lou Pinella situation. Jimy Williams couldn't handle any of the Red Sox players at all, and he received his pink slip after Dan Duquette got tired of his treating of the players.
[ Author: Guest: melik | Posted: Aug 13, 2003 11:51 PM ]

I just want to say that Izzy was one of the best hitters for Pawtucket in the 90's, and a player of his caliber will be back in the majors no matter how much people think he does not hustle. And what ever team that takes there chance with him will get paid off big dividends with his bat. Hopefully the RedSox will give him another chance.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.