Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Old Giants' Slogan

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Old Giants' Slogan
It's not often I start a post about the Yomiuri Giants, but here goes...

Does anyone remember the insane slogan that the Giants had a few years back? I think it was something like "Fight! Play! Get!" or something like that.

Don't they have any English speakers in their organisation?
Comments
Re: Old Giants' Slogan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 26, 2003 8:18 PM | YBS Fan ]

I think it was "Hit! Foot! Get!" to mean: Hit to get on base, run around the bases, and get that run home. It was their "official" strategy for the year. Of course, that was also one of several years that the Giants finished last (in the Central League or of all 12 teams?) in stolen bases - showing that the strategy failed. I think Kazuo Matsui had more stolen bases by himself than all of the Giants put together that year.

Yea, I found that slogan rather amusing.
Re: Old Giants' Slogan
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Aug 29, 2003 6:23 PM | HT Fan ]

The Tigers' "Never never never surrender" seems to have helped much more than the "Dash" of a few years ago. I am interested what other official slogans have been used (by any teams) in years past.

As an American aside, I recall hating the Atlanta Braves' slogan "America's Team" that was used in the early days of cable TV when Braves games were about the only nationally broadcast baseball games you could find.
Other Slogans
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Aug 29, 2003 11:45 PM | HT Fan ]

Yup, "Never, never, never surrender" has really caught on around here. Initially it was Hoshino-kantoku's pet phrase, and it was "officially" adopted. It's also entered the local lexicon as "Nebasare" (an abbreviated version), and is occasionally used in terms like "nebasare seishin" (the spirit of 'never, never, never surrender').

As slogans go, it's better than "Hit! Foot! Get!", but HFG sure has a certain comic value, although I'm sure that wasn't the original intention.
Re: Other Slogans
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 30, 2003 11:05 PM | HT Fan ]

Well the official slogan for the BayStars this year seems to be: "Start Afresh and Strive," but before ad breaks in their televised games, they have this very professional-sounding gaijin announcer saying "Yokohama BayStars - We love groovy!"
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 30, 2003 11:11 PM | HT Fan ]

And this appeared on some Buffaloes' merchandise until recently:

"The Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes baseball team were founded in 1949, and at that time we were called the Pearls. We are the only professional team based in Osaka. The warm support of the people of Osaka is the power base of the Buffaloes. Your backing is kindly requested."

Impeccable grammar, but I fear the message loses something in the translation.

[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Sep 3, 2003 2:10 AM | HT Fan ]

- The Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes baseball team were founded in 1949, and at that time we were called the Pearls. We are the only professional team based in Osaka. The warm support of the people of Osaka is the power base of the Buffaloes. Your backing is kindly requested.

Perhaps the fans could write a fight song:

Dear Buffaloes, we, the people of Osaka, acknowledge your kind request for support, and are eager to fulfil your fan-related needs. In return, it would be much appreciated if you could win.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.