Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ten triples and counting for Fukudome

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Ten triples and counting for Fukudome
Fukudome has hit 10 triples so far this season. That's really amazing. To put it in perspective, Ichiro's career high for triples in Japan was 5, and even Kazuo produced double-digit 3B seasons only twice in his career. Just how fast is Kosuke?
Comments
Re: Ten triples and counting for Fukudome
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Sep 5, 2003 3:18 PM ]

I got the impression from visting all the parks that none of them are particularly conducive to triples. Since all the parks are symmetrical and have relatively shallow gaps, it's hard to get a ball to roll between the outfielders for a long time. There aren't enough weird corners for the outfielders to play.

Only two players in MLB have double digit triples: Garciaparra with 13 and Fenway has the weirdest angles, the other is Guzman of Minnesota who is very fast. Guzman has no home runs however.
Re: Ten triples and counting for Fukudome
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 7, 2003 7:13 AM | HT Fan ]

- I got the impression from visting all the parks that none of them are particularly conducive to triples. Since all the parks are symmetrical and have relatively shallow gaps, it's hard to get a ball to roll between the outfielders for a long time. There aren't enough weird corners for the outfielders to play.

Agreed, and the statistical record mirrors your assessment, which is why I said it was really amazing.

According to Albright-san's projections, 10 triples in NPB equates to 18 triples(!) in MLB.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.