Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakyu Video Games

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yakyu Video Games
Over the last 7-8 months I have been really getting into Japanese baseball. I've been looking through this web site for a while and I have finally decided to post. The question I have isn't exactly on the game of baseball in Japan, it is about the best yakyu video game. I have been looking into buying a Japanese system and a game, but I don't know what game to buy, so I want anybody who owns a yakyu video game in Japan to help me out and give me some suggestions.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Yakyu Video Games
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Oct 19, 2003 5:10 PM | FSH Fan ]

I have Konami's "The Baseball 2003 Battle Ball Sanken Perfect Play Pro Yakyu" for my PS2 and I've been quite satified with it. It's challenging enough to somewhat frustrating when you first start playing. And there is an Emporer's Cup mode that is pretty festive as well. The things that I dislike about it are as follows:
  • Emporers' Cup mode takes a while to set up.
  • It was made very early in the baseball season so some players and late editions are not on it.
Other than that, it's been one of my favorite sports games to date.

I've heard some good things about some of the other games out there, but have only played this, so can't comment on them. One thing I did notice was that a few players' names are spelled wrong on the back of their jerseys. It is not major, but still annoys me.

I believe that Konami has released an updated version, if so, this may no longer be a problem.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 20, 2003 7:15 AM ]

One of the more popular games is "Jikkyou Pawafuru Puro Yakyu" or "Pawapuro."
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Oct 21, 2003 9:34 AM | TYS Fan ]

I recently got the updated version you mentioned which now includes the majority of the player changes/late additions and is pretty up-to-date.

I've played a few of the Yakyu games and Konami's "The Baseball 2003" is the best out there.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 22, 2003 1:13 AM ]

Thanks a lot for the information. I have one question about The Baseball 2003, is there an option to change the language, or do you have to read it in Japanese?
[ Author: Guest: Martin | Posted: Oct 21, 2003 10:58 PM ]

I have a PS2 and I often play "Netsu Chu Pro Yakyu 2003" from Namco. This is a very good game. Everything is very realistic.

If you like big heads, then "WorldStadium 5," also from Namco, is a very nice game. This game is for the PS and is from 2001. The game play is very good.

Please visit www.namco.co.jp for more information.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 22, 2003 11:32 PM ]

Thanks a lot, Martin. I'm looking into the game right now. But again, is there a language option like in some of the American baseball games?
[ Author: Guest: Martin | Posted: Oct 23, 2003 4:05 PM ]

There is no language button for the games. These games are made for the Japanese market, so they are only available in Japanese. But, baseball stays baseball. After a couple of games you will recognise some Japanese signs and understand more of it.

The game is great (Netsu Chu Pro Yakyu 2003), and there is just a new edition in the shop from October 23. There is a 40 men roster for each team and even the new gaijin players (like Zuletta: Hawks) are on the roster.

If you want to buy a Japanese baseball game this is the one.
[ Author: mrgarfield | Posted: Oct 23, 2003 1:05 AM ]

I've also seen a few Pro Yakyu games for the Game Boy Advance. The most popular seems to be Mobile Professional Baseball. Can somebody fill me in on this paticular game?
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Oct 23, 2003 6:09 PM | FSH Fan ]

To my knowledge, there are no Pro Yakyu games that are are in English.
[ Author: Guest: GlassJAw49 | Posted: Oct 24, 2003 8:48 AM ]

I live in America and must say, I am really interested in playing a Japanese baseball game. I have a PS2 but an American one, not the Japanese model. Any suggestions on games? Is there any even out there compatable with the American PS2?
[ Author: Guest: Martin | Posted: Oct 24, 2003 3:49 PM ]

I don't think there is a difference between PS2 in the U.S. and in Japan. They are both NSTC? In Europe the PS2 is PAL.

Should there be a difference, just buy a swap CD for the PS2. You put this swap CD in your PS2 before you put your Japanese game in, and it should work.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 25, 2003 1:50 PM ]

While we're on the topic, are there any Japanese baseball games for the PC? English or Japanese?
Yakyu PC Games
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 26, 2003 12:32 AM ]

There's a good amount of APBA for Windows stuff for Japan, and Diamond Mind is following suit (because fans can make their own disks easily for them). There are other gamers who have begun to put together data disks for various PC games already in English. Although I'm an APBA guy, I don't know that I can recommend it because the game comapny isn't making it any more. Frankly, I'd look on Google for the games you might be interested in and what Japanese disks are out there -- and make your own decision.

Jim Albright
Re: Yakyu PC Games
[ Author: Guest: Mischa Gelman | Posted: Oct 26, 2003 10:21 PM ]

- Diamond Mind is following suit (because fans can make their own disks easily for them). There are other gamers who have begun to put together data disks for various PC games already in English.

For Diamond Mind, James Marshall has done the 1964 Central, 1985 Central, and 1994-1998. He tells me that 1979 should be up within a month. His seasons are available at [SportPlanet.com].

For the Strategic Baseball Simulator (freeware -
SBS-Baseball.com), I've done the 1964 Central, 1995, 1997, and 2002 seasons, and am working on 1994 (thanks to Jim Albright for many of the stats). Once 2003 stats are posted I'll start on this year as well. Those seasons are available at GeoCities - SBS Team Library.

FWIW, it's very easy to make SBS seasons and if anyone else wants to do any, let me know!

For Strat-O-Matic, there is the 1967 Central, 1976 Central, 1994, 1995, and 1997 seasons. Those seasons are at GeoCities - SOM Japan.

For APBA, go to RobsJapaneseCards.com - there's quite a bit available there, more than for the other 3 games. I have no idea if any other baseball simulators have Japanese seasons available.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 30, 2003 1:47 PM ]

I live in Japan and have the Japanese PS2. I cannot play games made for the U.S. market even though the U.S. and Japan both use NSTC.
Go with Jikkyou Powerful Pro
[ Author: Muka Muka | Posted: Oct 26, 2003 3:12 PM ]

Jikkyou Powerful Pro is the best baseball game series, ever! The graphics may be funny, because it is cartoon-like and everyone has a huge head, the game play is the most realistic and most fun out of all the baseball games, Japanese or American.

I also agree with the other poster about The Baseball 2003, it is a pretty good game, the graphics and details are amazing, I love it when you hit a homerun right on the cursor and it switches to the dramatic camera angle (like Nakamura doing the bat flip), it is just sweet. But the game play is really lacking in some areas, the physics of the bat hitting the ball don't feel right a lot of times, the player and the ball seem too tiny in comparison to the park, and you will run into a lot of unresponsive controls on defense (especially when turning double plays). A lot of the animation also seem stiff. The main problem to me, though, is that it is too easy compared to Jikkyou. Even though there are some glaring flaws, I know I will be buying the 2004 version next year, because these problems are pretty easy to fix and it just has amazing potential to be something really really good.

But for now, trust me on this, Jikkyou Powerful Pro 10 is all you need. I am already on my third season in the pennant mode and I still can't stop playing.
[ Author: Guest: taro | Posted: Oct 27, 2003 11:59 AM ]

Jikkyou Powerful Pro has the deepest pitching simulation of any baseball game I've ever played.
[ Author: Guest: Martin | Posted: Nov 12, 2003 6:02 PM ]

If some of you are interested in buying Japanese baseball games, I found the following site: play-asia.com. (Please be aware that you might need a swap CD to play these games.)

I just received the newest version of "Netsu Chu 2003" from Namco and is is great. I'm playing "jinsei" mode with Taketoshi Goto from the Lions. This is quite difficult but lots of fun.

Is there anyone who is also playing this game? My Japanese is not so good, so I could use some help.

Thanks.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.