Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Expatriate umpire in Japan

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Expatriate umpire in Japan
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian who, just this week, has moved to Japan. I am (was?) a Level 4 (national level) umpire in the Baseball Canada national amateur baseball program. I worked the Canadian national baseball championships in the summer of 2002 and I have also worked college and university level baseball in Canada. I am hoping that I can become involved in umpiring amateur baseball here in Japan.

To this end, I'm posting this message in this forum in the hopes that someone may be able to give me contact information for some of the umpire associations here in Japan. The city I am living in is Wako-shi, which is very close to Tokyo.

If you know of e-mail addresses, websites, or phone numbers of people who might be able to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Shawn Bishop
Comments
Re: Expatriate umpire in Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 25, 2003 6:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

Here is the Japan Amateur Baseball Association, in Japanese only. Two other associations you might be interested in are the Japan Student Baseball Association and the Japan University Baseball Federation. Again, the sites are only in Japanese, but to do the job, you'll have to be totally immersed in a Japanese-only environment, so you may as well get an idea of what you'll be facing.

I don't know anyone personally in any of the above associations, so you'll be on your own for getting an introduction.

You may also want to go down to the ball fields in your local area, often located in the flood-plane of a large river, and talk with the umpire crews there. Many levels of amateur baseball are played there, from little league to corporate leagues. The only thing that may be a problem is that many grounds are closed from mid-November to March to allow the grass to grow back and for other maintenance. That will really depend on the location, though.

Hope you're able to find a group to work with. Gambatte.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.