Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kataoka's Bath (and Other Weird Songs)

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kataoka's Bath (and Other Weird Songs)
Hanshin third (and sometimes first) baseman Atsushi Kataoka has finally come out and publicly asked the fans to change his song.

Kataoka's song has a little "fanfare" introduction before the song proper, and it's the words to this part that he objects to. You see, it's one of the dumbest (but most hilarious) baseball songs in existence. It goes:
Migi-nage hidari-uchi, jikka-wa hinokiburo, reform! reform! Kataoka Atsushi
(Rough translation: "Well he throws right-handed and bats left-handed, they renovated! renovated! his family home and put in a cedarwood bath, Kataoka Atsushi.")
Kataoka was reported in SanSpo the other day as saying he didn't have a cedarwood bath (but admitted that he did have a cedarwood sauna), and could the fans please change the words to his song.

Actually, it was changed in the previous off-season, and new, tamer, lyrics appeared in early 2003. Unfortunately for Kataoka, though, the fans didn't like it and reverted to the hinokiburo version.

Now that he's gone public with his bathing circumstances, I wonder if people will be more supportive of his new ditty.
Comments
Re: Kataoka's Bath (and Other Weird Songs)
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Dec 6, 2003 1:53 AM | HT Fan ]

I am intrigued. What possible connection could there be between Mr. Kataoka's bathroom and his hitting prowess? Is his bat also made of cedar? Does he soak his bats in the sauna? Or is there some ritual that occurs in his o-furo that he wants kept secret?

Maybe it's better not to know.
Re: Kataoka's Bath (and Other Weird Songs)
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 6, 2003 4:55 PM | HT Fan ]

- I am intrigued. What possible connection could there be between Mr. Kataoka's bathroom and his hitting prowess?

Could be anything in those funny old songs; I mean, George Arias is deified in his song as the "Messiah from U.S.A." [sic].
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.