Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Katsuya Nomura

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Katsuya Nomura
Now that I realize that Jim Albright is on this forum, I don't know if it's so necessary to quote his baseballguru.com evaluations. In terms of longevity, perhaps the closest comparison I could make with a major league player would be Carlton Fisk and his twenty-four seasons of catching (although no more than twenty full seasons). If I had to pick a Major League equivalent, I would probably tend toward Johnny Bench, who had a fairly long career but who also had a dominating offense and was one of the few ML catchers who actually led the league in offensive categories more than once (even though Gabby Hartnett is supposedly better, per Total Baseball).

I'm still not satisfied with this correlation. I think the closest equivalence to a North American equivalent would have to be none other than Negro League catcher Josh Gibson, not necessarily for his longevity, but for his offense that dominated his position as none have.
Comments
Re: Katsuya Nomura
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:22 AM ]

This is one case where I suspect (I haven't tried to work it out yet) where it would be easier to get a good match for a player's actual talent than to find a MLB parallel for his NPB dominance. Without working it out formally, I'd agree with Gibson.

The only MLB option is the still active Piazza. The fact he's still active makes the comparison problematic, given we don't know the full shape and length of his career, while we do know those things about Nomura.

Also, I think Nomura's defense, while unlikely the caliber of Bench, was better than Piazza.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 6, 2004 11:48 AM | HT Fan ]

In his book Baseball's Other All-Stars (page 122), William F. McNeil compares Nomura to Roy Campanella. Their career averages (adjusted to 550 at-bats) are awfully close.
    Player      AB  R  H   D T HR RBI BB SO  BA
    Nomura 550 79 152 21 1 35 104 66 78 .277
    Campanella 550 82 152 23 2 32 112 70 65 .276
[ Author: GottaHaveWa | Posted: Jan 6, 2004 12:58 PM ]

Wow, those career averages are amazingly close. The only problem is, Nomura had almost twice as many Best Nines as Campanella had years played. And as good as Campy was, he only led his league in one offensive category once, and was not necessarily the dominant catcher of his time (if you don't count questionable MVPs), with Berra around. I don't think you'd want to say that of Nomura.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 7, 2004 12:52 AM ]

I had forgotten about the Nomura/Campy comparison. The thing we forget is Campy did lose a few (2-3?) years to the breaking down of the color line, which makes the comparison more apt. Give Campy another 5 years and some credit for the Negro Leagues, and then you've just about got it. The auto accident came as he was nearing the end of his career, so I doubt we can accurately give him those 5 years, though.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.